SCEE expects “very, very strong” holiday sales in Europe, Move shifts 1.5M units

Thursday, 14th October 2010 22:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps move

SCEE’s Andrew House has said Sony’s expecting “very, very strong” holiday sales in Europe this season.

Speaking with Bloomberg, House said the company expects to “exceed its current sales estimate of 15 million PS3 consoles moved this fiscal year” thanks to a strong demand in it’s 99 European territories. So far, the console has moved over 38 million units lifetime as of October 13.

“Sales have been significantly up year-on-year in a market that has been overall slightly down,” said House.

House also said Move showed “very significant sales in the first month since launch, somewhere in the region of 1.5 million units for the new controller across just Europe”.

“The initial sales response has been so far in excess of our initial plan that we’ll probably be looking at accelerating production,” said House. “We have lots of confidence in our ability to hit our profitability target this year, but currency movements present significant challenges.”

Still, 1.5 million Moves “moved” since last month? Not bad at all, Sony.

The NPDs are to be released tonight, and while the marketing research firm will no longer be publicly handing out hardware figures; hopefully Sony and the rest will oblige us so we’ll know just how well things are going in the US.

1. Michael O’Connor

Not too shabby.

Well deserved success. I hope they push it more.

2. NoxNoctisUmbra

I agree, Move is worth it. It actually does what it suppose to do and even better then I thought.

Bravo!

Its really worth to pick it up if you have a PS3 already and want to have different gaming experience.

But so far its not worth to get PS3 just for move, unless you want to buy hardcore games as well like the new SOCOM game.

3. cookiejar

Yeah very well done. Nice bit of kit. Just waiting for those killer games now though.

4. Erthazus

I need a killer app.

I have Ps Eye, but i refuse to buy one Move because it’s not worth a penny. I don’t care if it is working or not.

and playing multiplat titles with Move is ridiculous. It’s not giving you enchantment over the pad. Even Killzone devs don’t exactly know how to implement it to the multiplayer.

Want precise and accuracy? There is nothing better than Mouse and keyboard.period

5. onlineatron

I’ll be getting the PS3 bundle come Christmas.

I’m not really excited to play any of the games though… Needs a killer app.

6. Psychotext

I wonder what a “unit” of move is. Does a nunchuck count as a unit? What about a wand? Or is this just bundles?

7. cookiejar

Good question. Could be they’ve sold a Million bundles, and 500k of sub-controllers or w/e. Would be nice if they clarified.

In any case, its quite impressive. I’m slightly surprised.

8. Bleak Harvest

So 1.7 million including North America?

9. Kuwabara

in a yr every ps3 owner would have bought the move, whether theyd want to admit it or not.

10. Psychotext

On a different note, there are 99 European territories? Holy hell, I need to go back to school and beef up my geographical knowledge. :D

11. revsoul

Move is worth more than some of u guys are giving credit for. Go borrow a friends ‘wand’ and download a couple demos like Tumble, Sports champs or Heavy Rain — or rent Sport Champs so that u can experience the archery…

and then re-give your opinion

12. Stephany Nunneley

@10 LOL. Yeah, how the hell? I suppose Ireland counts as one doesn’t it? JOKING! But no, I would be very interested to know how the sales area is divided into 99 territories.

13. Psychotext

I don’t think anyone has given a negative opinion have they revsoul? Erthazus just wants more games.

14. revsoul

who said anything about Erthazus?

15. Psychotext

You said people should re-give their opinion, and it’s “worth more than some of u guys are giving credit for”… and only Erthazus gave anything close to a negative opinion.

1: Positive
    2: Positive
    3: Positive
    4: Doesn’t rate it currently (arguably negative)
    5: Wants a killer app
    6: Sales related
    7: Sales related
    8: Sales related
    9: Sales related
    10: Random
    11: Your post.

See my point now?

16. revsoul

…..yeah I see your point

You need a hug or something?

17. Psychotext

Sure, no lingering though.

18. revsoul

…ugh

not from me man, maybe Erthazus can hook you up :)

19. Psychotext

Leave me hanging why don’t you.

/weeps

20. Michael O’Connor

I’ll give you a hug if you want one that badly, Psych.

21. Psychotext

/hugs

22. Michael O’Connor

/hugs back

23. Psychotext

Edit – Wrong thread.

24. Erthazus

@Psychotext, It’s not negative pal, i’m just looking forward to games.

The tech has possibility. I tested it at Sony Center, really nice thing. I just have problems with line up.

25. Psychotext

I said arguably negative, I still don’t see who he was aiming his post at. It was almost like he came in here expecting people to be ragging on it, didn’t bother to read anything and just posted anyway.

Also, don’t call me pal, chum.

26. typeface

European territories being 99 probably means SCEE territories rather than Europe.
    Going by the range PAL PSN store covers we’d have the Middle Eastern countries, India, Australia, New Zealand and so on.
    I guess EMEA would have been a closer approx or rather EMEA+Australasia+W.Asia?
    Europe at the moment has 50 countries that are recognised soo yeah it’s probably that.

27. Dannybuoy

Sounds like Sony need to release a Hugging game judging by this thread ;-). Maybe the game could be called Hug it out. It would be like the Mall section in Heavy Rain. Instead of shouting ‘JASON!’ you shout ‘IT’S HUG TIME’ and run through the crowd hugging the marked people. I think this has legs ;-)

28. Robo_1

Good stuff.

Certainly bigger numbers than I’d anticipated, but I’m hearing reports that it’s sold out across much of Germany, and it seems to be doing very well in Belgium so it’s clearly done fine.

Fingers crossed this translates into more exclusive games being developed for it.

29. Blerk

Very decent start-up sales considering it’s not Christmas yet and they downplayed the launch somewhat. It’ll be interesting to see if they start pushing it more now that we’re nearing the silly season.

30. Callum

lol silly seasoon…a good name for it.
    Also, I want a hug !
    Also, Sony should be chuffed with this, let’s be honest; it could have been a lot worse! Is there anyway to get Move input on a PC ? like as some sort of a mouse?

31. StolenGlory

Love the tech, just waiting for the killer app to make me stop being a tight ass and just buy the bloody thing.

32. Garthy30

Well got move the other day and I love it.

33. Psychotext

Some US figures here:

“In the United States, estimated sales have been tallied to about around 300,000 units.”

34. Michael O’Connor

It’s very strange (and quite surprising) that the device has sold *that* much less in the US than in Europe.

35. Psychotext

It’s probably worth keeping in mind that the number in the linked article would have been sold to consumer vs shipped, and we don’t really know if they’re counting units in the same way that Sony did for their PR.