LOVEFiLM coming to PS3 next month

Monday, 11th October 2010 07:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

lovefilm

A video from the official PS3 YouTube channel has confirmed UK movie rental service LOVEFiLM is coming to PS3 as of next month.

The service, which will be accessable via the XMB, will stream “thousands of movies” from the console instantly, with movies from big Hollywood studios to indie flicks and will have all genres covered.

You’ll also be able to manage your Blu-ray and DVD rental list if you’re an existing customer.

LOVEFiLM members will get all this as part of their subscription.

The only rental service that has been available for PS3 so far is Netflix in the US. The service also appears on 360 and Wii.

Catch the video below.

Thanks, TSA.

1. cookiejar

Been waiting ages for this, brilliant.

2. WizardWeb

Cool ! Can’t wait.

3. WizardWeb

Ha ! I see the vid has been removed now ! I expect someone at Sony will be getting a kicking this morning….

4. cookiejar

Can’t believe it was up there since mid September, and nobody spotted it!

5. tenthousandgothsonacid

Lovefilm suck piss.

They should be sorting out their dispute with Universal first and foremost so that their catalogue of films isn’t so embarrassingly light…

6. Isuru86

GTFO of my ps3 system, bityoootch

7. Marcus Gv

I know Sony are likely to screw this up in some way (e.g. attach it to Playstation Plus, etc), but I’m looking forward to it. I will not pay for Plus though.

8. DrDamn

Considering they already do it through their TV’s and Bluray players – as do Samsung – I doubt they would make it a PS+ thing. You still need to pay for the films or have something which covers it in you package with LoveFilm already though.

The downloadable selection from LoveFilm isn’t all that great to be honest.

9. CtrlF5

You would need to sign up to LOVEFiLM if they go ahead with adding themselves to the PS3 XMB, i have an unlimited package so i get 4000k streaming movies for free, if i can view on my PS3 then all the better.
    LOVEFiLM have nothing on the website about the PS3 yet, but it would be worth watching the help channels for info
    and

10. DrDamn

Incidentally you can also get stuff in with their games rental packages too. I pay 10 a month for 2 discs at a time max of 4 discs in a month (mix and match DVD/Bluray/Games). I also get 4 hours of streaming included too. Worth looking at the options anyway.

11. OlderGamer

Is this netflix quality or something less?

9usd/month, unlimted dvs rentals(2 out at a time), and unlimited streaming, heafty selection or TV and Mvies.

I hope it is along those lines for you guys. And even if they asked you topay for PSN+, if it is netflix level, it would be VERY worth it. I know a ton of people that no longer pay to watch cable/Sat TV, they just use netflix.

12. freedoms_stain

@11, I pay £14.99, unlimited dvds and games, 2 at home, plus there is a large selection of stream for free for unlimited packages. The selection there used to fucking suck, but also

@8 I’ve noticed the free to stream section is improving, there are films I’d actually watch on there now.

13. undeadwolfy

“The only rental service that has been available for PS3 so far is Netflix in the US.”

What about the rental section in “Videos” in the PS Store?

14. Fantastic

No fucking way a pay per view “rental” plan can compete with something like LoveFilm or Netflix. Anyone that uses that shitastic PS3 service needs his head examined. Either that or they like to throw away money. You could own the damn thing for a bit more, or you could get with things and use a true rental service and save a hell of a lot more.

15. onlineatron

FUCK YES!!!

This is amazing news.

EDIT: The video has been removed :(

16. Psychotext

As a lovefilm subscriber this doesn’t particularly excite me. Their selection of films available for streaming is utterly awful. Netflix this is not.

17. onlineatron

Their selection may not be massive, or too current, but they have some fantastic films in the free section.

Let the Right One In
    Requiem for a Dream
    OldBoy
    Evil Dead 2
    A ton of Peep Show episodes.

Should be good.

18. AHA-Lambda

HOYL MOTHER OF GOD YESSSS!!!

i think i came alittle…sorry o_o

19. CtrlF5

LOVEFiLM have now confirmed this as coming in Nov