CD Projekt founders Iwinski and Kicinski resign from respective positions

Friday, 8th October 2010 22:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

cdprojekt logo

CD Projekt has has announced its founders, Marcin Iwinski and Michal Kicinski have resigned from their positions as CEO and director of business development, respectively.

According to a statement given to GI.biz, Iwinski and Kicinski have also taken an extended leave of absence from the company.

“Both Marcin and Michal have resigned from the positions they held, however they have not left the company,” said Hubert Habas, a spokesperson for CD Projekt.

“They wanted to step back and relax after very busy last period, after finalizing the venture with Optimus and other strategic projects and simply decided to take a longer leave in order to restore energy and to avoid being burned out.

“Every company inside CD Projekt group has their own management working independently from the owners. Therefore neither company nor its projects are threatened or postponed.”

CD Projekt was acquired by Polish PC company Optimus in 2009.

1. yoggesothothe

Related with GOG PR stunt, maybe?

2. Michael O’Connor

@1 I doubt it. The reasons seem quite clearly explained in the news story.

We don’t need to put a tin-foil hat on everything.

3. Phoenixblight

GOG PR stunt?

4. LordCancer

everybody lies.

5. yoggesothothe

@2 Yeah, you’re probably right. But then again, who resigns from a company they founded just at it reaches its apex? Also, “Therefore neither company nor its projects are threatened or postponed.” What? That’s like totally left field, unless, you know, it actually isn’t. Don’t know about Michal Kicinski, but Marcin Iwinski looks pretty young from that “monks” video to be retiring already.

^ Overblown speculation is overblown.

6. Michael O’Connor

@3 The whole thing where they pretended to be shut down, only to come back a few days later out of beta with lots of new content.

@5 People who want a break.

I’ve done the management thing, having to look after loads of people. Nothing as big scale as this, but I can tell you… it’s quite tiring work at times.

They’re not retiring. Just moving into a lower position. Maybe they want to be more intimately involved in the creation process or something?

Who knows? Point is… I don’t think we need to paint everything black all the time.

7. KrazyKraut

i dont care what there happends..really..who cares?
    I only want Witcher 2 and Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf on PS3/360.
    Played the first one and it was one of the best games ever….I flirted with the Namco Bandai Booth Girls to get this exclusive Witcher figure..

8. DSB

@6 You don’t resign because you want a break. Of course I don’t know, CD Projekt might be a kind of hippie collective where the next big shot to take the title of CEO happily steps back down from his throne of power and hands off his very advantageous paycheck, to let the lost king return, but that sort of thing simply doesn’t happen in any other serious business.

If you’re stressed out, you delegate or you take a few weeks off. Who can say as to the how and the why, but I’ve never heard of something like that happening, without the guys eventually leaving.

9. Michael O’Connor

@7 “You don’t resign because you want a break.”

Yeah, actually, quite often people do.

10. endgame

woah. this looks grim. it looks like someone is pulling an infinity ward but I really hope I’m mistaken and that Michael is right. if not, then I feel really really bad for those two guys. they’ve given us a lot.

11. DSB

@9 Eh, you’re probably right. I’d say those guys were probably never cut out for it. I wouldn’t want a former CEO of the company working under me, however. That never turns out well.