Source: PSP2 to release Holiday 2011

Tuesday, 5th October 2010 09:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psp22

Developers and publishers have been told that PSP2 will release at the end of next year, a British source familiar with the matter has told VG247.

“We’ve been told it’s coming in late 2011,” said our man.

As has been previously reported, developers have been creating games for the system for many months, with Netherrealm Studios being the first to go on the record and admit it had a dev kit last month.

PSP2 is about as badly concealed as a games system can be. It’s been common knowledge for much of this year that content is being made for the system, and that dev kits are in the wild.

CPU and GPU specs have yet to be confirmed.

A large amount of off-the-record information was released in May 2010, and the flow of rumour has been constant throughout the year.

We were told in May that games had already been canned for the system.

Only last month, Develop again reiterated the fact that numerous developers were creating content for PSP2, saying that Sony was aiming for a “significant launch window line-up”.

Sony has been obviously silent on the chatter, but has gone on the record to say there are “no plans” to include 3D. This tallies with what we’ve been told in the past month.

The machine has a forward-facing and backward-facing camera, and will come with both touch-screen and physical controls.

Given the projected release date, it seems likely PSP2 will be announced at GDC or E3 next year.

1. AHA-Lambda

i’m still not sure they should even bother =/

2. slayernl

img is just a mok up right?

3. Blerk

I would usually say this’d be an E3 sort of announcement, but bigging it up for GDC would allow them to spoilerise the 3DS launch, would it not?

4. Patrick Garratt

The pic’s a mock-up, yeah.

I reckon it’ll be an E3 thing, personally. Never say never, but I can’t see them making a hardware reveal of this magnitude at GDC.

5. Patrick Garratt

But yeah, you could well be right.

6. Yoshi

No wonder Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo hate independent developers, if this is what they do. Seriously nice of them to share but it would be so much better coming from Sony. Sony trusted these developers/publishers and now they fuck Sony over by revealing shit which isn’t ment to be revealed yet. wtf happened to keeping a secret *facepalm*

7. M2Kx

Kinda excited about this one after the disappointing 3DS :/

8. freedoms_stain

I wonder if the psp2 and the psphone will end up being the same thing.

9. Callum

I’ve tried not to write this off, but I am literally TOO excited for the 3DS lineup.
    The hardware specs would need to be amazing, the price reasonable and the online integration would need to be seemless and coupled with a fantastic and unique launch line up. I just don’t think sony have it in them to achieve it all.

10. Patrick Garratt

@8 – That’s the million-dollar question, innit. And I think the answer main be the reason why they’re not being especially careful with information on the games side. Apparently they’re being coy with developers as to whether or not it will have a 3G connection built in. Given 3DS, I think it has to have another USP aside from games. A phone system would do it, I reckon.

11. JPickford

This touch-pad on the back thing is quite interesting. It’s not touch screen though but it might provide some interesting ways to control games.

12. Blerk

They’re sort of caught in a middle place then, though. They’re up against the 3DS which will no doubt be a serious challenge, and they’d also be up against the iPhone which would instantly mean all kinds of not-very-kind comparisons – specifically on software pricing.

I’d expect them to steer clear of the phone bit and continue to concentrate on the games market specifically.

13. Patrick Garratt

@11 – I was told about that touchpad, and I just couldn’t work out what it was for. Is it like a laptop mousepad?

14. Erthazus

I’m expecting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHqG1nc_tw

15. JPickford

Yeah I think so. As I understand it the back of the device works like a touch pad. I could be wrong but I don’t think it actually has a touch screen.

16. Patrick Garratt

OK, ta.

17. 2plus2equals5

I remember touch control on the back, not touchscreen.

I bet that before a month is passed we’ll read about a leaked psp2 or about it’s hardware.

@8: i don’t think so…

18. Freek

Nobody else has a hardware launch, so revealing PSP2 means they could easely “claim victory” in the E3 pr war.

19. cookiejar

Lets hope it doesn’t end up in a bar.

20. Freek

This is Sony, a prototype won’t just end up in a bar, rather the entire press release will accidenlty be held in that bar a month too soon.

21. Razor

Bouy, Sony have missed the boat on this.

The 3DS will likely be too mainstream for anyone to care about the PSP2…unless it’s the PSP Phone, in which case, shit could get real.

Otherwise, I’m with Callum.

22. Erthazus

People are too excited about 3DS. Give Sony chance, maybe they will have the same line up or even better.

+ the specs of the machine are probably going to be awesome. So expect very good games on the good hardware.

23. L.O.R.D

i want a PS2-2..the greatest console on earth

24. Crysis

Wait, i’m confused, i’ve heard countless reports claim a touchscreen & some say a touch pad, is it both or one or the other?

25. reema

I can’t wait, but it’s annoying that it will be probably at the E3 where we will hear more of this

26. Robo_1

They need a great USP, something that people are going to be excited to try out. With PSP it was that huge lush screen, for PSP2, it needs to go a few steps further.

Personally I think they’re insane if they don’t include a 3D screen. The more time passes, the more it’ll become a standard feature of portable hardware. If I were Sony, I wouldn’t want to launch with any of yesterdays tech, as I know they like their tech to have a long shelf life.

27. RETARDED VIKING

Just add……a second analog stick thingy,backwards compatibility,and a longer battery life.then i’ll already be satisfied.add a great line up and i’ll be sold.i love my PSP i even play it more than my PS3! damn i can’t wait to see the specs.

28. smiley0

Pat – is it a touchscreen or touchpad on the back? I don’t think anyone’s corroborated Eurogamer’s report about the back touchpad, it would be cool if someone did.

Also, is there any chance you can find out about technology partners? Lots of conflicting rumours about who’s providing the GPU technology. PowerVR? Nvidia?

Thanks for your work :)

29. LOLshock94

jesus wtf thats just fuck ugly

30. Goffee

Certainly means the PSP dies right now, no one is going to develop new stuff for it and the release list was pallid at best.

31. xino

mock up is very believable though it’s a good thing it’s a mock up because people complain about no second analogue.

32. FASFAi

is that it for real ?

33. DaMan

$999.

34. back_up

lol sony made another TV remote

35. antitheta

Why doesn’t Sony just make the PSP2 support ALL of the PS2 games – basically allow developers (some whom have extensive experience in developing for the PS2) to write for the PS2 and it will work flawlessly on the PSP2. They of course need to have Dual Analog controllers (which if they don’t include this will NEVER succeed). There are sooo many games I’d love to replay on a mobile device if only I had the opportunity (and it was legal).

36. mattrobbo670

@35 you gotta point.
    The PSP is dead basically with 2 games coming im betting on e3 reveal and then more details at tgs

37. spiderLAW

i am looking forward to the PSP 2 but i will probably pass. If the 3DS is $300 which i am passing on until a price drop, then we can expect the PSP2 to match that price or more likely be a little higher like $379.99

38. Crysis

I’m just curious to see what direction Sony is going with the psp’s successor, is it aiming for a powerful & portable device with a couple blockbusters (hopefully)-the one thing the psp really missed, sure it had a few GTA, GOW & MGS games, but that’s not enough to justify the purchase-Nintendo already has Pokemon & Mario, that justifies the purchase for most DS owners, but Sony just does not have any franchise anywhere near that popularity scale(well, Gran Turismo is maybe up there, but not much aside from that), so it’s obvious Sony can’t rely on countless rehashes for each of their console releases.
    It’s also possible that Sony maybe going the I-phone styled path, with countless mini-games & apps as the selling point, though i do believe Sony is doing a psp-styled phone, i really doubt it’s the successor of the psp-then again, Sony may release 2 models of the psp2, a ‘core’ model, just the console with wifi & another model with WiFi+3G connectivity, capable of phone/video calls, ofcourse Sony would have to make deals with several providers through different countries or alternatively make it unlocked & capable of having any general providers Sim card, but i still believe it’s more likely the psphone will be seperate & able to play psp & ps1 games but marketed as a phone capable of gaming, instead of a gamming device capable of being a phone