FFXIII’s Toriyama: “I’d like to make a story where Lightning ends up happy”

Monday, 4th October 2010 10:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

lightning

FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama has again said he’d like to do a sequel, having said in March that FFXIII-2 could happen if sales of the original allowed.

Toriyama has now said in an interview with a recently published FFXIII Omega guide that he wants to make a story where main character Lightning “ends up happy.”

FFXIII producer Yoshinori Kitase, speaking in the same interview, added that he wants to produce something that passes along the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga mythology, saying he wants to show elements that won’t make other games in the series, Final Fantasy Agito XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Asked if this was a FFXIII sequel, Kitase said he didn’t know, implying again that any decision would depend on “fan reaction.”

Toriyama then said: “I’d like to at some point make a story where Lightning ends up happy.”

A continuation of FFXIII was first hinted at following the release of the original back in March.

Kitase also confirmed in the interview the FFXIII dev team was working on its next big game.

Toriyama said the team wanted to add stuff into the new title which was previously in the planned DLC for FFXIII.

No FFXIII DLC due to differences

Speaking of the previously planned and now-binned DLC, Kitase and Toriyama said the content would have featured an area called “Seventh Ark”, which would have provided “quest-like play with free battles,” according to Andriasang.

The DLC won’t release thanks to differences between PSN and Xbox Live.

Next time, preparations would be made for DLC and online elements from the start, Kitase said.

Final Fantasy XIII released last December in Japan for PS3, with a western release this past March for PS3 and 360.

The game will release in Japan for 360 in December as an International Edition.

1. LordCancer

what about thunder baby?

2. abnormal alan

I got so close to the end of FF13 but then lost the ability to pretend I cared anymore

3. LordCancer

well I got so close to buying ff13 at $30 bucks before I remembered I didn’t care either.

4. abnormal alan

good choice i’d say. I put up with it for far to long just because of the Final Fantasy name

5. dirigiblebill

OMG spoilers.

6. Gekidami

So she dosnt end up happy in FFXIII? Jeesh, spoiler Toriyama-san.

7. Erthazus

SPOILERS

@6 Actually in the end she is happy. :D

8. Suikoden Fan

@7 well in lightenings way i guess

9. Unlimax

SQUARE triyng to pissed me off .. Where is another Parasite eve game for PS3 .. forget about lightning!

10. Michael O’Connor

Terrible character from a terrible game with an absolutely atrocious story, and that’s from a franchise that typically has horribly stories anyway.

Believe it or not, I’m actually a Final Fantasy fan. =P FFXIII just had everything wrong with it.

11. Epic Fool

Nothing wrong with FFXIII imo, except perhaps a bit too short… Love the story and characters.

And more Lightning? Yes please. :)

12. 2plus2equals5

Thanks for the spoiler! :(
    Damn you fal’ cie…

13. LordCancer

I only ever finished final fantasy 5. i loved that game.

14. Catkiller

Better start a new FF with a blank paper…

15. lexph3re

Sigh* what about the fans reaction doesn’t say sequel? Ps3 sold over 4 million! I think the fans already spoke seeing how this game has lost my interest, and 3 other of my friends interest. To be honest this is the second worse ff I’ve played next to ff12, mystic quest was more interesting then this. I am going to eventually force myself to play this game again but after I play casltevania los with snake