OXM gives Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 9/10

Sunday, 26th September 2010 12:20 GMT By Joe Anderson

castlevanialos5

OXM has given the highly anticipated Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 9/10 in its latest issue.

The magazine describes the game as ‘huge and magnificent,’ while reviewer John Blyth calls it “big,” before adding, “Big’s too little a word.”

Blyth also said the game “seemingly hasn’t heard of DLC – and decides to offer you immense value for money instead.”

The review says the campaign seems to get its influences from the likes of God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Pan’s Labyrinth.

Blyth says the campaign weighs in at around the 20 hour mark, and despite a few annoyances – such as the game sometimes failing to communicate where you should be going – Blyth still describes it as “an epic and slightly unexpected triumph.”

A demo for Lords of Shadow was released exclusively for PlayStation Plus subscribers early last week. Everyone else should be able to get hold of it this coming week.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow launches on October 8 for PS3 and 360. Get the TGS trailer here.

Thanks, CVG.

1. AHA-Lambda

i’m not particularly interested in this i admit but it is nice to see a long, content packed game without nickel and diming DLC for a change >_>

2. Retroid

officialmaglol

3. Retroid

Bah, double-post. Soz.

4. Dralen

I’ve bought so many games these last few weeks (too many), I would like to get this too, but i’ll try the demo first I think.

5. Mike W

Finally a Castlevania game done right in 3D. I can’t wait, October 5th is next week. I’m going to get this and enslaved.

6. metamorphic

I can’t believe you Europeans got the Castlevania demo on PSN Plus, whereas we in the US, even though we pay for the same frickin’ service, don’t, and instead get stuck with shit like 5-buck-game demos. Not only that, you got the early demo for Pro Evo and soon the beta for Brotherhood before anyone else, whereas we’d have to be apparently lucky to be raffled for the beta in mid-October or something. If Blu-Ray games are region free, why shouldn’t PSN or bloody PS Plus ffs? Somebody should get into these grimy corporate offices and beat the shit out of those suits who make these asinine decisions, as Billy Walsh would say.

7. AHA-Lambda

in all fairness on the whole PSN EU is WAAAAAAYYYY worse than PSN NA

i’m still waiting on SOTN on EU PSN >_>

8. Psychotech

i’m expecting a lot from this game.it seems something more than just a button smasher,all the trailers look awesome plus 20 hours on a sp game justifies a purchase.This and Vanquish are on my October list,they both seem capable of having some good replay value unlike Enslaved which unfortunately i don’t see it having one,seems like a one playthrough experience mainly for the story.

9. metamorphic

@AHA-Lambda: Right, but the point is, those games are abandonware anyway and they’re hardly collectibles; people can get them anywhere on the internet, literally speaking. So there isn’t a lot of value, apart from of course the apparent joy some have in playing circa 24-bit games on an HD console (why not just connect your computer/laptop via HDMI). Now getting betas and early demos– that’s what the focus should be, and what made it so attractive. I would gladly swap my year-long US PSN Plus subscription for a half-year EU PSN Plus subscription.

10. LePlatypus

@9 EU PSN doesn’t have Spyro 1,2 or 3 as a PSone classic. That’s why EU PSN is worse

11. AHA-Lambda

@9 – SOTN isnt a collectible?

tell that to people paying £100 for it

12. KaRmAChAnG

Anyone played this demo then? I’m interested as to how it is and whether it’s helping you decide to pick it up?

13. LordCancer

@6 I’d kinda like to beat up todd howard from bethesda…

14. Dr.Freeman

@12 I found the demo pretty solid, but still u’ll feel that there’s something is not right, like this Gabriel he’s too quite all I heard frm him was :”where can I find him” an old man replied:”he will find u, in the forest”, n the fact that u dont have a weapon but a cross limits the variety of combos, though that was only a demo so who knows, still waiting for another reviews bcoz OXM reviews these days r shit.

15. mathare92

Tried it for around 20 mins during an event this month, really impressive stuff.

16. RETARDED VIKING

So far so good! :D

17. RETARDED VIKING

OPM gave it a 9/10 as well.

18. Isaaclarke37

Can’t wait for this awesomeness.

19. Blerk

I can’t remember the last game where I’ve swung from “it’s going to be fantastic” to “it’s going to be disappointing” quite so many times and quite so often.

My head’s spinning!

20. M2Kx

If I had to choose between this and Enlsaved on release day, I’d probably take Enslaved, but I’m still looking foward to the demo, hope there will be one this week.