Enslaved – 15 minutes of 720p video from Chapter 3, high-res shots

Friday, 24th September 2010 14:55 GMT By Patrick Garratt

enslaved8

Namco sent through retail code of Enslaved this week, and, unless we’re very much mistaken, Ninja Theory’s knocked a very large ball out of a very large park.

PROPER WARNING: THERE ARE PLOT SPOILERS AFTER THE BREAK.

The third chapter comes after about an hour’s play, and sees Monkey and Trip aiming to scale a large, metal tower.

Based on what we’ve seen of the game, Enslaved could well be one of 2010′s big shocks.

The duo-based gameplay appears polished and slick, and there’s an abundance of variation in puzzles and combat. We haven’t been bored yet, and that’s saying a lot.

It’s a section-based affair reminiscent of Gears of War 2′s structure: gameplay elements are added, you face a new, closed area, then clear it before moving on.

HUD elements are explained through Trip showing Monkey information through his slave band. The animation’s amazing, the VO work and story pacing seem superb. There’s solid platforming mixed with boss battles, staged puzzles and more. Top it all off with some beautiful aesthetics and we reckon you’re looking at a high-scorer.

Honestly, it’s good. The capture below’s from retail 360 code. The game’s out on October 8. Look and see.

1. StolenGlory

PROPER WARNING is PROPER.

2. No_PUDding

This part looks fun too, but then the demo looked really fun, it doesn’t control as nicely.

Proper Uncharted 2 vibes though. In fact, in some ways, I prefer this, becuase it’s all about the platforming by the looks of it.

Having said that Uncharted had great AI and gunfights, I just prefer this thematically.

I think it will be the Uncharted 2 of this year, in terms of gameplay, maybe not reception.

3. No_PUDding

You played Uncharted 2 Pat?

4. The Hindle

Pat dude have they added a jump button in the retail release? Im buying Castlevania LOS first but no doubt ill pick this up eventually.

5. Patrick Garratt

@3 – Bizarrely, no. I’ve got it sitting here. I’m going to play it next. I’m really impressed with Enslaved so far, though. Couldn’t put it down yesterday.

6. Aimless

My hope is that both this and Castlevania suffer from bad demo syndrome, their contents chosen for busy trade show wow-factor rather than being a microcosm of the game as a whole.

By the way, what’s with the cat on the keyboard? I’m avoiding watching the footage but glimpsed it amongst the screens.

7. No_PUDding

@5 I wondered, just because you referenced Gears 2 first.

When you play Uncharted 2, you’ll see how these games are cut from very similar cloth.

Especially given the character driven nature of it.

8. Psychotech

i’m not feeling it.
    simplistic platforming and combat elements,the graphics are average.People confuse good high quality textures with great scale and rich colour palette in the environments it’s not the same thing.the dude looks well like a monkey and they’re fighting ROBOTS for crying out loud :P

9. abnormal alan

I’m confused his name is Monkey and he’s based on the character….Monkey so I would assume he would look a bit like, well yes a monkey.

Or are you just finding the idea of a monkey man fighting robots odd in general?

10. Moonwalker1982

When are people gonna stop with that stupid shit like ‘Obvious troll is obvious’ and in this case here ‘Proper warning is proper’ ? Seriously…it’s annoying as hell :S

11. No_PUDding

@Psychotech

People do not confuse those specific things. People confuse technical graphics and artistic direction.

But those things really don’t matter individually, when they all contribute to one aesthetic.

I think it’s great the game looks so amazing and colourful, in the UE3 engine.

12. Psychotech

@9 I know how the Chinese tale goes here they went a bit far away from it.i’m not into this whole concept of fighting robots at all with very few exceptions like Vanquish which perfectly fits with the whole concept of the game still i would have prefered something different.here is just weird the whole concept is all over the place.doesn’t make sense

13. abnormal alan

I downloaded the demo last night but haven’t had the chance to finish it off yet. Will have to give it a go when I get in

14. abnormal alan

by the way what the hell is up with the 1st image on the 4th row up there. Some man at his desk!!

15. lirky

Only spoilers were gameplay mechanics nothing storyrelated.

16. Aimless

@15 Actually, I believe keyboard guy is a ‘bargo busting spoiler…

17. night_tripper

i’m getting this game i was looking into it i played the demo i was sold on the game.

18. deanimate

Ouf. Well that was very average at best. I do hope there is significantly more to the game than that or it’s a fail in my eyes.

19. Moonwalker1982

Really? I don’t get it , i loved the demo alot and so did my friends. I don’t get the criticism on some sites from people. Great graphics and facial animations. Fluid and cool combat system, nice climbing parts, nice dramatic camera while gameplay still goes on.

WHAT exactly is missing for people?

20. Aimless

Any sense of challenge.

I’m not going to write off the combat as we’ve only really seen the tutorial stages, so perhaps it becomes a lot better once you’ve unlocked some more abilities like in the original Assassin’s Creed.

The traversal, however, just isn’t all that satisfying, something I can’t see changing. The routes you have to take are very prescribed, it feels like you’re opening up canned animations rather than actually flinging a character about. It’s one of those problems that’s hard to pinpoint as it’s due to a combination of subtle issues with the animation, character response, and the restrictive way the character reacts to the environment.

I’m still looking forward to playing through the game, but more for the story and the sights than the actual mechanics.

21. polygem

just finished the demo. not feeling it. clumsy controlls. camera gives me a headache just like those slave bandana whatevers. looks super washed out – not up to date. unreal at its worst. artwork has potential but feels like it has been rushed….my flatemate came in my room while i played the demo. he said: whats wrong with your tv. colors look shite. exactly. pass out on this one.

22. Gekidami

Is the guy in the pic up there wearing lipstick?

23. Isaaclarke37

I enjoyed this demo.

24. LOLshock94

ARRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    FUCKING SHITTY FUCKING BUTTON MASHING GAME ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNBCHBFEHJWVBJKH JH HJ JH 4H ROW YUHWBHBWHBBGHTBHKFBEKFB HKB HR BRYBEHKBFHBHJ HJWL

25. Monk

Now what ?

so much alcohol :P ?

26. MushroomStamp

Just finished demo.. wow, what a piece of garbage. This is like a game that belongs on the original Xbox or the Ps2. Graphics = junk , gameplay = tired, controls = typical clunky japanese….. I was so dissapointed. I just don’t get it. Why is this game getting so much press lately? I can’t find any redeeming value about this game.

27. AHA-Lambda

yea the demo seems to be polarising reading various forums (especially gaf) i was thoroughly unimpressed (ESPECIALLY by how dreadfully poor the platforming is) =/

also *cough*obligatory fuck you NT*cough*

28. Gekidami

Typical clunky Japanese controls? Japanese?

29. MushroomStamp

Geki, yeah… games like Res Evil (all of them), DMC, Dead rising, and many others.. they all have this weird 4 direction movement to them. They just don’t transition directions smoothly. The turning animations are all cumbersome and clunky.. Don’t know why, but a lot of jap games have this issue.

30. Dralen

The control delay was a massive put off for me at first during the demo, it felt really weightless, kind of difficulty to describe the feeling. However, I really like the look of the story, and I might just get when it inevitably goes down in price.