Castlevania’s Gabriel started off as a barbarian, says Cox

Thursday, 23rd September 2010 23:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

lords of shadow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow producer David Cox has said the main character in the game, Gabriel, was originally a barbarian until Hideo Kojima told him he needed to re-think the character a bit.

Speaking in an interview with Joystiq, Cox said Kojima compared the original Gabriel to a “meathead” that “nobody can identify with”.

“I designed [Gabriel] very much as a barbarian, much like the original Castlevania character,” said Cox. “I went to Tokyo and met with Kojima and he told me to look at Gabriel again. I told him that I’m really happy with the design. He told me, ‘No, you really need to rethink Gabriel.’

“He told me that ‘We designed Snake, and we were tweaking Snake right until the final submission. Little things: eyebrows, eye color, anything. You need to make sure that you’re continuously looking at Gabriel as a main character. If you’re trying to tell this tragic story of love, but you have this meathead character that nobody can identify with … ‘.

“So that made us go back and rethink Gabriel, and I’m so glad he did that. I don’t think the game would be the game it is now if we didn’t rethink Gabriel as a character. I think now he’s far more appealing right now, far more nuanced — he’s not a one-dimensional action hero anymore. He’s a real character, a real person.

“At no point in the game does he say, ‘I’m going to kick your ass’ or anything like that. He’s very much a real person. It’s a sad story, and Robert [Carlyle's]  portrayal of Gabriel really helps bring that character alive.”

Cox goes on to say the team originally wanted Gerard Butler to be Gabriel, but he was “very busy at the time so he couldn’t do it”. Someone suggested Robert Carlyle,  so they approached him with the script and he loved it.

Patrick Stewart was obviously fond of the script as well, as he’s in the game too, along with Jason Isaacs, and the lovely Natascha McElhone.

If you are interested in getting to know Gabriel a bit more, check out the US PS Blog, where David Cox chats about designing the character a bit more.

Lords of Shadow releases for PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 5 in the US and October 7 in Europe.

A demo for it is up on PSN for Plus members.

1. Stephany Nunneley

I want this game. Today.

2. JimFear666

3. RETARDED VIKING

from the trailers i’ve seen the voice acting seems really top notch .and i also like the design for Gabriel.This seems really promising i hope it doesn’t disappoint.

4. lexph3re

And that is why I will buy this game. I respect kojimas insight in the gaming world. How he thinks of the depths of a character to relating to the consumer. How he believes in bringing life to his characters making you sympathize for their situation and cheer for their epicness.
    I am a recent fan to the castlevania sage beating only rondo of blood and SoTN but know what the core of castlevania is enough to understand the benefits kojima and cox are bringing to the series. I may have just decided to make this a day one game

5. RETARDED VIKING

@2 dude you okay?

6. Aimless

JimFear666 deserves some kind of prize: against all odds he’s managed to usurp the reigning champions and post the most nonsensical comment ever to grace the site.

Steph, can’t you abuse your position to wrangle an early copy?

7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 I can never wrangle anything Aimless.

Once, I even tried using cleavage to get cheaper tires. It didn’t work.

8. Aimless

I’m not surprised you got busted, so to speak; even Lolo Ferrari would have had trouble trying to smuggle a couple of tyres up her jumper.

9. osric90

This is my incursion to Castlevania! So many good games are coming. This is a good time for games…but a bad time to anyone with a little pocket.

10. Stephany Nunneley

@8 Oh dear lord! I had to look her up. Um. Wow. :-O

11. YoungZer0

I don’t like this hero at all. He looks so bland and boring and that i’ll always fell asleeppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Wooow, looked to long. Seriously, a barbarian main character would have been interesting. Kind of like Skarin from Viking. It probably won’t fit into the Castlevania Universe, but then so does everything else about this game.

12. KAP

@2 damn

13. abnormal alan

@2 if ever there was a view into the mind of a madman that was it

14. YoungZer0

People just google: “Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?”

It’s a meme.

15. Isaaclarke37

I like how Gabriel looks now.