“Buttons are irreplaceable as an input device,” says Sony

Wednesday, 22nd September 2010 14:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

buttonsaregood

Sony’s talking about buttons being important again, this time calling them irreplaceable as an input device.

Speaking with Edge, PlayStation Move designer Richard Marks said Eye and  Move are really flexible and can do things a hands-free controller and camera without buttons can’t.

“I think that you can do some things really well with just a camera, or just a 3D camera, but there’s just some stuff you can’t do as well. And there’s a bunch of experiences you could never do as well,” said Marks. “I think our system is really flexible because we still have a camera.

“Buttons are irreplaceable as an input device. Too many buttons are overwhelming, but one single action button is very powerful feeling. For core games you really do need a set of buttons to quickly choose things. Trying to replace buttons with gestures doesn’t work very well.”

Mark’s comments are very similar to ones he made at E3 back in June, when he said Sony had looked at motion cameras as a hands-free controller, but decided there were certain “experiences” that the cameras “can do that are really neat but there just weren’t enough experiences that made it make enough sense as a platform-level controller”.

“Sometimes we need buttons to have certain kinds of experiences,” he said in June. “Other times we need more precision than we can get out of those cameras. We need to know exactly what you’re doing with your hands, especially in the more hardcore experiences.”

Move is out in the US and UK as we speak.

Via Eurogamer.

1. Happy Hardon Harry

^^Is that the DualShock 4? lol

2. theevilaires

That pic makes my skin crawl. Looks like the DualShock has a STD….YUCK, Steph be a sweet heart will you and change the pic please.

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 NO! Never! Mwha ha ha ha haaaaaa.

4. DrDamn

Wouldn’t be surprised to see MS release a more handy held controller at some point to supplement Kinect. Not immediately but a year or so down the line – even if it is a big success. It just opens things up. It doesn’t need to have gyroscopes etc inside, just buttons.

5. get2sammyb

@4 – that would be such an admission of failure. I can’t see it myself. Even if Kinect takes off, it’s never likely to better 50% adoption. If they add in a controller too, who’s going to make games for it? You’re splitting the user base twice over.

Microsoft’s put their eggs in the basket for this gen. It’s controller-less, standard XBOX controller, or possibly a combination of the two. I don’t believe they’ll do a “Move” controller ASWELL.

6. Dannybuoy

I like buttons, or as the French would say – J’aime les boutons et ils me font me sentir sexy

7. manamana

@4 why should they? Kinect is not a move or wiimote. You don’t need other devices and you don’t want a controller with kinect. I’m not a fan of kinect btw. I love buttons (well not THAT much). Just stating my thoughts.