Netherrealm Studios says it has a PSP2 “in the house”

Thursday, 16th September 2010 17:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

psp2

Mortal Kombat developers Netherrealm Studios has claimed it has a PSP2 in-house, and it “looks like it’s a pretty powerful machine”.

While Sony has yet to announced the existence of the handheld, during a PAX Prime interview with Industry Gamers, MK2011 executive producer Shaun Himmerick let a bit of information on the much rumored PSP2 slip.

According to Himmerick,the studio is looking at handhelds for the newest Mortal Kombat game, and mentioned the PSP2 development unit that’s “in the house”.

“We are looking at [PSP and DS]; we have a PSP2 in the house and we’re looking at the engine, like what can it support,” he said. “Always a big thing for us is the performance.

“We’re running at 60 fps, what can we do and do we have to build all the art assets over. We’re definitely looking at them. PSP2 looks like it’s a pretty powerful machine. We don’t have a 3DS system in house yet, but we’re looking to get one, and we’ll certainly look at what its power is.”

Previous rumors have PSP2 down for a 2011 launch, but Sony refused to comment on the matter, other than providing outlets with the usual “rumors and speculation” quote.

Sony’s Michael Denny, when asked about the possibility of the handheld, previously stated that the firm didn’t have ” anything to announce” but its always “looking at the future as well”. He also said Sony is concentrating on the current PSP as it is still a “very attractive proposition”.

While this little slip-up may sound exciting and all, keep it as a rumor just in case Himmerick is mistaken.

We’ll mail Sony, but we honestly don’t expect an admission.

1. Erthazus

“looks like it’s a pretty powerful machine”.

Does it have 3D function? If not, they can get the fuck out. Just powerefull hardware is not enough for the handheld market.

2. theevilaires

get the fu*K out of here :D stop pulling my chain! This better be real man!

3. Patrick Garratt

How the fuck this hasn’t properly leaked is completely beyond me. Tons of devs have had kits for literally months.

4. Erthazus

@3 Sony Police :D

5. M2Kx

bla bla bla 3D, who the **** cares about this? just an unnecessary feature nothing else.

6. No_PUDding

@3 What are you even talking about? This is the most properly leaked you can get!

I’ve never seen anything else in this industry more thoroughly leaky than the PSP2.

7. Callum

I like the dual analogue sticks, I think ninty missed a trick by only including one on the 3DS…still, I’ll be getting one handheld next year, and its going to be the one that comes with mario and zelda :)

8. Erthazus

@5 The feature that you never tried.

I have Nvidia 3D vision and to play with it is absolutely fantastic (Depends on the game really, with some fantastic, with some better to play without 3D)
    I’m more excited about 3DS, than PSP 2 for now, because 3D without glasses is really cool.

Powerefull hardware on handhelds mean only awesome graphics. Graphics on the handheld. Just wow… I’m sure they won’t beat Crysis 1-2, RAGE, DOOM 4, Uncharted 2, TLG and e.t.c. with it’s hardware.

9. 2plus2equals5

I’m struggled between the love for my psp and the hype for the psp2.

10. Patrick Garratt

Want to play guess the release date? Tip: it’s miles off.

11. theevilaires

2012 holiday….but aren’t we all suppose to be dead by then? :D

12. 2plus2equals5

@8:
    You are right, but you can’ play Crysis 1-2, RAGE, DOOM 4, Uncharted 2, TLG and e.t.c everywhere! ;)
    And if it’s true that the psp2 will have xbox graphics(i want ps3 graphics) we’ll have games with similar graphics ;)

13. Patrick Garratt

11 – Before then ;)

I’ll do a story on it tomorrow.

14. M2Kx

“The unnecessary feature that you never tried.”
    That’s why I’d appreciate an ignore button :)

15. Erthazus

@12 Ok, for example, that “Thing” have Xbox 360 or PS3 graphics or more powerefull, can you imagine how much software will cost to make and how much software will cost to consumers?

16. spiderLAW

We are all already dead. Remember! It happened in 2003….oh wait, it didnt….it was 2000…no wait it didnt either….it was 2005 for sure!….. NO?
    Well shit!

On the article. I say March 2012

17. theevilaires

I’m looking forward to that story Garratt :D It really is time for a new PSP and I hope this one mimics a PS3 but in your hands feature wise. (tired of converting AVI,WMV,XVID,and,MKV files for the original PSP)

18. 2plus2equals5

@15: 3ds games will cost a lot more than ds games right? It’s natural ;)

19. cookiejar

I reckon Holiday 2011.

The machine itself doesnt need 3D. 3D for me is a home theatre thing at the moment, so it’s better suited to PS3.

All it needs is proper PSN integration so you can sign in see friends etc, built in wifi & 3G so it’s always connected, a proper app and game store and a touch screen as well as traditional controls. Where Sony went wrong last time was marketing PSP as PS2 on the go. It needs many more pick up and play arcade style games as well as the blockbusters.

20. mojo

rumors say it has touchpanel on the back

21. rikkelise

San Andreas Stories – please, pretty please

22. metamorphic

“Erthazus” is just a troll; don’t pay attention to him. If someone really liked 3D so much, obviously the big screen is where it belongs (theatres, even TVs), not some handheld. 3D is supposed to fill the entire width of something, not a cheap gimmick which you have to stay stationary to look at.

Now, great graphics, great content, great stories – that’s what I think gaming is about. Given the massive power and potential of this, I’m excited– I’d much rather play something like this, rather than some rehashed games redesigned in pseudo-3D.

23. Erthazus

“3D is supposed to fill the entire width of something, not a cheap gimmick which you have to stay stationary to look at. ”

You don’t have electronics device with 3D, do you?
    you don’t even understand what is gaming in 3D and because of that you can go and fuck yourself hard and go to Nvidia center or Sony Center and play Batman:Arkham Asylum 3D or Metro 2033 and blow yourself to pieces.

““Erthazus” is just a troll”

said a butthurted fanboy that never experienced 3d and thinks it is a gimmick.

24. Crysis

@Pat, you seem quite confident on this, i trust as you as a journalist :)
    If they can keep this under $300 (AUD) i’m getting this asap.
    I’d like a full back-catalogue with this of ps1, psp & ps2 games available day one, that would be killer :D
    (though a little confusing to what they would do if there were psp & ps2 version of the game)

25. Dralen

I wouldn’t be surprised if it has 3D, I mean Sony are pushing 3D very hard at the moment.

26. Crysis

if it does have 3D, would not surprise me the least if it’ll use the same 3d glasses their Bravias use.
    This is the most believable rumour to date, wonder how pissed Sony is at this guy? or maybe they planted him & Sony themselves are the head of all these rumours! that’s right, i went there-woo for crazy conspiracy theories :D

27. theevilaires

IMPORTANT READ NOW:! off topic but if I used a pre paid visa debit card for live will it still work. respond asap!

28. Crysis

Completely off topic, but I’m not sure, if you’re the guy with 435 gamerscore, then you’re still silver, but if you haven’t done this, i don’t see why it won’t work, personally i’d buy it in store

29. theevilaires

hey thanks for the wrong answer buddy. lets se your trophies against mine…so shut it and find out. I’ll explain all this later!

30. theevilaires

WHERES A XBOT WHEN YOU NEED THEM!

31. Gekidami

A debit card should work. I use a debit card…

32. theevilaires

No i want to use a pre paid cause i dont want M$ having my info. they have that $30 live gold sub and i have to use a credit or debit card. i would go to the store but its raining like I need Noahs ark out side!

33. Gekidami

No idea then. Just man-up and go out, bit of rain never hurt anyone, you pussy. :P

34. No_PUDding

If PSP2 is miles off, atleast they will have a launch library.

35. theevilaires

that chat pad bundle is a while away fuck it i’ll try the pre paid visa card then. this is what happens when you are fucking lazy. i want to play some damn MP Reach tonight but oh well. Sorry for going off topic guys

36. reask

@ Tea
    Youre depriving yourself man.
    Bit like wondering about getting that new car will I? wont I?.
    Just do it cause MP is excellent imo.
    Much better matchmaking than 3 imo.
    Just played a couple of sniper slayer games and man it changes the whole dynamics of it.
    No gun and run cause everyone has the same loadout.
    Sniper, Pistol, and 1 grenade.
    Deadly. :Sorry Pat for derailing thread but Tea needs some sound advice SO JUST DO IT TEA :D.

37. Lord Gremlin

With trophy support please.

38. Crysis

A 2nd analog stick is everyones main selling point for a psp2, but i would think the next point would be a 3rd & 4th shoulder button (L2 & R2).
    In other words a portable Dualshock with a centre screen.

39. frostquake

Backwards Compatibility???

40. lizhiyong

input this url ( http://www.ashops.us) in google sirch .wonderful website.you will love it .thanks

41. lizhiyong

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

( http://www.ashops.us/ )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment

42. NightCrawler1970

Why Sony will comes with a PSP2, if sony lanch a PSP phone in october this year with 2 year contract by AT&T?, wasted production money

43. Gekidami

Because a phone is a phone and a portable console is a portable console…

44. theevilaires

My theory worked Reask, I’m now full GOLD LIVE member (before a PSN+ member) so stop crying everyone. :D

45. reask

^ See you on live later. :)