Rockstar releasing last-gen GTA trilogy on Mac

Friday, 10th September 2010 06:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

San Andreas

Rockstar’s announced it’s releasing all three last-gen Grand Theft Auto tiles on Mac.

Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andreas are all on the way to the platform, probably in 2010.

“Look for the long-awaited release of the classic Grand Theft Auto Trilogy (Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas) for Mac – most likely later this year,” it said in an Asked and Answered session.

An announcement is due soon. No pricing or a specific date was given.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. theevilaires

Was just thinking to myself the other day, what if SONY got Rockstar to re-release an HD classic set of these games with trophies :D oh the shit load of cash that would pour from the skies into their pockets!

SOMEBODY MAKE IT HAPPEN!

2. Crysis

agreed, but would have liked to play it in the first place on my PS3 but i wasn’t willing to spend $300 extra just for backwards capabilities…

3. Kuwabara

IF SONY are smart, thyd pay rockstar millions and make gta5 a early ps3 exclusive , say 6 months.

4. Robo_1

As a Mac user, allow me to lol loudly. ;)

But yes, GTA HD remakes are surely a license to print money.

5. Blerk

I don’t want them wasting time on remakes, I want GTA5. We all played those games already… apart from Mac owners. :-D

6. Crysis

@5, They have several teams, GTAV is well under way & this has no effect on it what so ever

7. Blerk

I didn’t mean the Mac versions, they’re probably not much work. I was talking about ‘HD remakes’ for console. Not required, new stuff please. Thanks.

8. Crysis

regardless, R* is HUGE, porting won’t be much of a problem

9. ReeceHeywood

Neato, never did get the chance to complete GTA III or even play Vice City. San Andreas was the only one I’ve played through.

Damn you school and college.

10. Johnny Cullen

I finished GTA III, was most of the way through Vice City and nearly finished San Andreas.

11. tenthousandgothsonacid

GTA IV was boring as shit. I’d rather have HD re-makes of the GTA3s (you know, when it used to be *fun*) than more of that in GTAV…

12. Blerk

I see that a lot and I just don’t understand it – I loved GTAIV and both of the add-ons. I’d take those over the previous-gen three any day of the week.

13. Anders

I’m with Blerk on this. I never understood the sudden backlash against Grand Theft Auto IV.

14. drewbles82

yeh GTA4 was boring but Saints row filled the gap for me with all the fun you could have.
    Didnt they say they were gonna do Vice City as a downloadable game.
    As for people wanting ps3 to get GTA5 as an exclusive on PS3, 6months wouldnt make any difference to me, why would anyone care bout playing a game earlier on one console.
    I usually wait 6months to a yr before i even buy a new game, they either have the game of the yr edition out by then or its a lot cheaper.

15. Blerk

I loved Saints Row 2 as well. I think I just love open world stuff. :-)

16. JonFE

Finished main campaigns and most side-missions on GTA III, Vice City *and* IV, barely touched San Andreas, still have both Liberty Stories episodes unfinished but plan to do them by Christmas.

Have zero interest in HD remakes of last generation’s GTA’s, mostly because:
    1.I finished those I cared about and
    2.I barely have time for new releases, remakes would make that even worse…

…however I can see why others might be interested, just as I would welcome remakes for MGS or Team Ico’s games…

17. cookiejar

Nice to see the Mac getting some gaming love these days. Maybe one day I can finally dump Windows all together :)

And on the topic of an HD remake, sure. I’d buy them.