SCEA celebrates PlayStation’s 15th anniversary with discounts and Home items

Thursday, 9th September 2010 15:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

psoneps2ps3

SCEA’s celebrating the 15 year anniversary of PlayStation in North America today.

Since the initial North American release of PlayStation in 1995, the brand has sold over 377 million consoles across its product portfolio, and more than 2 billion software units worldwide.

In the US alone, it has generated over $63 billion in revenue, which is equivalent to 40 percent of the overall videogame market share in the country to date.

“When you look in the rear-view mirror at what was happening in 1995 you see that the video game industry was an entirely different animal,” said SCEA CEO Jack Tretton.

“Cartridges were still the preferred medium, and the market was a modest $2.6 billion in sales revenue annually. Many critics thought that a disc-based console with a lot of horse power would shoot over the heads of consumers, but our users proved them wrong.

“Now, we are seeing a convergence of video games and home entertainment, and a market that is a robust $20 billion in revenue. In the next 15 years and beyond, PlayStation will continue to bring new and more immersive experiences, like stereoscopic 3D, augmented reality as well as genre-defying gameplay into consumer living rooms.”

What to hear some other fun facts besides numbers? According to Sony, 30 percent of PS3 owners have more than 20 games in their library; kratos beat out Natahan Drake by 2 percent in the most favored first-party character; 40 percent of PS3 users said they would not have/continue a relationship with someone who “gets in the way of their gaming”; and 1 out of 5 gamers have played their PS3 for over 10 hours straight.

Amazing.

To celebrate the 15 year anniversary, over the next several months Sony will be offering fans the following:

• Free downloadable PS3 & PSP static themes available for download on the PlayStationStore starting today
  • Weekly discounts on select PS One titles within the PlayStation 15th anniversary collection page, available in all SCEA territories on PS3, PSP & Media Go Storefronts. In addition to a 50 percent sale on Super Rub A Dub (Super Rub A Dub offer good from Thursday, September 9, 2010 – through Monday, September 20, 2010).
  • A PlayStation Home commemorative Original PlayStation (PS One) ornament for personal spaces available starting today.

Hudson has also added a new space to Home this week,  called the Hudson Gate. You can get more information on this, along with more 15th anniversary goodies over on the US PS Blog.

1. Razor

What about Europe?

[crickets]

2. AHA-Lambda

god how generous of you SCEA

then again i dont see SCEE doing anything -_-

3. G1GAHURTZ

Mario is 25.

4. Gekidami

Its the 15th anniversary of the US release.

5. Razor

It’s also the 15th anniversary for Europe as well….or at least it will in a couple of weeks.

I don’t see SCEE doing anything though.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Sony bashes Nintendo!

Wii says hi…

7. DaMan

it’s just a bunch of corporate propaganda, who cares.

8. Blerk

Happy Birthday, Playstation! Thanks for all the good times.

I might dig a few classic PSOne games out and try desperately to impress the kids with them.

9. theevilaires

Greatest Gaming Consoles in HISTORY. They changed gaming into what it is today. PS2 is the Michael Jordan of gaming consoles. NO CONTEST!

10. KrazyKraut

Happy Birthday Sony & PlayStation!!!

But dont forget Europe….like you sometimes did…!

Is the Birthday stuff already active on the PSN store?
    I was there….but maybe its locked for European ppl who
    use the US store.

11. KrazyKraut

sry double post–plz delete it.

12. Erthazus

I liked PS1 a lot. PSx blew my mind. PS2 was a very good gaming system. PS3, well… OK. Fantastic exclusives, OK ports.

Well, congrats Playstation.

13. Freek

@8 “uuh, dad, I think it’s broken. All I see is a bunch of blocks…”

14. KrazyKraut

funny shit^^

15. Blerk

Heh heh, yeah, that’s pretty much how it goes.

16. cookiejar

Happy Birthday! They may well have lost it abit at the start of PS3, but I think its turning around again. I just wish Japan would ease up a bit and dive more into the stuff SCEA and SCEE want to do.

Would be nice if downloadable PS2 games were launched during this time. I had some cracking moments on that machine, would love to play em on PS3.

17. RETARDED VIKING

Fuck discounts when are they gonna release downloadable PS2 games??? i missed out on a few.

18. loki

Congratulations!

19. Blerk

They can’t start doing downloadable PS2 games unless they come up with a workable emulator or start porting them properly. I really wouldn’t hold your breath.

Why not just… you know… buy them on PS2? They’d be cheaper anyway.

20. Erthazus

@19 Actually in every PS3 there is a chip that can play PS2 games, just system is turned off for a while.

21. Crysis

@20, no, the original(1st) PS3 had the PS2s chip inside of it, the next(2nd) ps3 had some hardware, rest powered by software emulation, then ever since, (3rd & slim) had no ps2 hardware, but are capable of ps2 emulation, go ask Sony why they haven’t used it ye, probably too much effort, though if they did, or atleast released an add-on device which could, then they are able to bring ps2 games onto PSN, but i expect them to discontinue the ps2 in mst counties before they do this, i would blow $50 for playback of ps2 games, if it were good quality that is.

22. Blerk

That’s absolutely 100% wrong, Erthazus.

23. spiderLAW

Happy Birthday Playstation!
    I loved my PS1 (and i loved my N64 too)
    I didnt care much for the PS2, it had loads of great games but i felt that the console itself was poorly built so it bothered me. But i still can recognize its achievements in gaming.
    I love my PS3!
    PS4 will be the only console i get next gen probably becuase it will be my time to start my family by the time the next gen starts. Been married for 5yrs, time to start pushing out grand children for the old folks (my parents)

24. Erthazus

@2 Maybe. I’m not saying for 100%. But i remember i saw old FAT revisions with that chip for 100%

I don’t know about Slim versions. But FAT versions have this chip for 1000000000%

25. Crysis

@24, that’s the original fat ps3, there’s been 2 redesigns since, 1st redesign had some ps2 hardware, rest was software emulation, 2nd redesign had none, 3rd redesign is the slim, Europe never got the original ps3, they got the 2nd

26. Yoshi

@6 I’m sorry but I didn’t realise the Wii used cartridges… oh wait it uses discs… hmm so Playstation says hey back *slap*

27. G1GAHURTZ

See here.

I was surprised to see the cartridges comment, but it’s almost as if Sony are still upset that Nintendo dissed them when they canned the SNES CD (allegedly twice).

So they can laugh at Nintendo for crushing the N64 and Gamecube, but the Wii is (whilst ruthlessly battering the PS3) king of the ring at the moment…

So Nintendon’t care about carts right now either.

28. theevilaires

Ok so if SONY released another PS2 with MOVE 5 years ago I guess Nintendo would be doing great as it is huh? LMAO. Its a gamecube with motion controls. Thats all. Its not even in the same league as the XBOX360 or PS3.

If you wanna play it like that then, I guess the PS2 was really going up the SNES then :D

29. Kerplunk

@27 Erm, given the DS (and the new pirate-cart locking firmware Nintendo have just released for it) and the 3DS will be adopting a cartridge system, I think it’s pretty clear that Nintendo care about carts.

30. Crysis

@29, it’s dead tech, long dead, cd MAY have been slower when released, but it’s drastically improves, it’s up to 72 times faster than when it was first released (talking purely CD drives here, not dvd or BD) not to mention the obvious advantage of storage capacity & eaze of development

31. Kerplunk

?

I wasn’t talking about CDs. I’m clearly missing some logic here. I’ll just agree instead. :)

32. G1GAHURTZ

@27:

No-one’s talking about handhelds.

@ tea:

Who knows… It’s all hypothetical.

Imagine what would have happened if Nintendo hadn’t dissed Sony and gone ahead with the SNES CD instead!

They’d probably pretty much own the whole of gaming, hands down, right now.

Anyway, by bringing out Move, Sony is directly placing the PS3 as a Wii competitor on their own.

33. Crysis

@31, just saying it’s dead & Nintendo is too lazy to move on

34. Kerplunk

@32 The article mentions handhelds, actually. And your spokesmanship for Nintendo’s feelings “So Nintendon’t care about carts right now either.” didn’t specify a platform.

@31 I don’t think Nintendo is lazy. One of the reasons Nintendo chose cartridges on N64 over CD was that, after the popularity of the SNES, they had a lot of influence when it came to sourcing and pricing cartridge memory. They were such a big customer to the memory chip merchants they had a significant say in the price of the components they were paying for.

I feel that this is still true to some extent and with solid-state memory products really having come into their own in the last decade, it’s probably something they don’t have to spend a huge amount of development time on – unlike Sony and Blu-Ray.

35. theevilaires

They are G1GA so in that point I guess. But lets not kid ourselves people. SONY ripped off NINTENDO with the analog sticks on the Dual Shock, hell even the rumble pak being built inside.

Now they are doing it with MOVE from the wii mote. The only difference now is that SONY waited this long to do so. If it were possible to rip it off sooner and cut NINTENDO off with a PS2 version of what now is MOVE then things would be somewhat different now and the PS2 would have had another 3-4 years added to its life easily.

It’s all hypothetical “NOW” but we all know deep down inside at least 50 million of that 150 million+ PS2 user based would have gotten a PS2 motion controller over a new system that is basically a gamecube.

BUT I APPLAUD NINTENDO FOR ALL THEIR INNOVATIONS.
    THEY ARE TRUE PIONEERS OF THIS INDUSTRY.
    AND I OWE THEM A LOT BECAUSE I WAS BORN A GAMER ON THEIR SYSTEMS FIRST.

36. G1GAHURTZ

…can’t seem to get away from these pedants…

37. G1GAHURTZ

@tea:

Yeah, Nintendo used to be my source of all things gaming. They even helped shape some of my attitudes on what ‘quality’ actually meant when I was growing up.

I agree with you about people probably picking up a PS2 motion controller instead of a Wii. Sony have left their Move move (see what I did there?) really late.

38. osric90

I’ve been so faithfull to PS since I have time. Had the PS1, PS2 and now the PS3 (first a fat and sold it for the slim) but a GREAT gift for us…and for the PLAYSTATION name would be…yes, you guess it, BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY.

39. theevilaires

Yes 38, I forgot about that. SONY did innovate with the first ever console to be BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE. Gotta give them that. They actually gave people a reason to upgrade without worry that their previous investments would not go to waste.

Then people cut SONY’s throat with it on the PS3 crying the system was too expensive. At the cost of them taking it out just to reduce a fucking $100….really $100 people….WTF! Now all of you out there who don’t have PS2 BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY would gladly pay SONY that $100 and suck their dicks for them to add it back. Too late jack ass cry babies….Now the PS4 will be a dud out the gate. Better hold on to those PS3′s cry babies.

40. Crysis

console wars will become redundant in the future, it’ll be all computers, what companies will be fighting over are services & software, afterall, every console is a computer to some extent. Not saying this will happen soon, maybe not even in my life time, but it WILL happen, lucky for both Sony & MS they already have entered the pc market, MS OBVIOUSLY has Windows OS, Sony has some software of their own aswell, not to mention the VAIO computers, but if Sony EVER wants to gain a market share over the likes of ASUS, HP, DELL & ACER, they better gibe us a reason why, Sony name on the product isn’t enough to justify the price to most people.

41. LOLshock94

arrrrghhhhhhhh i have shit on my computer

42. KrazyKraut

hey kids stop this “what console rules” discussion. I have a gamecube, nes, ps1, ps2, ps3, dc and saturn. and i will buy a 360 and a wii in the future too. I think they are all great.

And can someone tell me if the Birthday sale on the PSN already started?

43. theevilaires

I agree with you Crysis on that one. I love my VAIO I just got for $1300 but I saw someone who had an ACER that still does everything I can do for $500 cheaper. $500! thats a different date I could have taken out M-F. XBOX LIVE ain’t looking like the bad guy no more pretty soon.

$500 more because I liked the fucking power on button better. I really am losing my damn mind….that or the SONY logo at the end of the PS3 game trailers are eating my brains into mush.

44. Yoshi

@27 Well wouldn’t you still be pissed if a company you were working with let you do a conference about the console you and the other company was making and then later that day (or the next day) the other company says it’s scrapping that idea and fucking you off. You would feel a little pissed off lol

45. Galactic_Barret

I believe the cartridge comment wasn’t meant to be that hard of a troll. I mean, it was definitely put in there as an ego boost, but you can’t really have any type of anniversary celebration without detailing your origins, right? Its not false either; Just like with the PS3 (Move, Wii, possibly Kinect), I’m sure there were critics other than Nintendo looking at the console with relatively new technology and scoffing it. Its nothing new, and to see some making such a mountain of a mole-hill is scary.

Wasn’t every single home console before the PS1 cartridge based? Before add-ons? Like any old-timer, allow them to bask in their hey-days a little longer until they fall back asleep. Gloating never hurt anybody.

46. G1GAHURTZ

@tea:

I’ve never understood how Sony manage to get away with making VAIO’s so expensive. As you say, the only difference seems to be the styling.

Most laptops are made by the same manufacturers anyway.

@44:

I’m sure I’d be very annoyed indeed!

47. OlderGamer

Ok not for nothing, but the Sega 32X could also play Geny games. Your going to say that the 32X was just an add on, thats ok. Before that old Atari systems could play older Atari system games. And, just to be a shit, the PC has been playing Backwards Compatible games for years :p

Oh and the PSone changed the world of console games. The PS2 changed the direction of them and opened the door for MS to change the game again with Xbox one(far better then the PS2 btw). In fact I would say that the Dreamcast was a better system on many many levels then the PS2 was).

And Tea(cause your prolly the only one that would care) .. I am just teasing you.

I did however enjoy both the Dreamcast and Xbox, they sat right next to my PS2.

48. DaMan

addressing your second paragraph – not really though, Older. MS considered releasing a console in the 90s, and they entered the videogame business because they saw N64 and Playstation as huge threats to their Direct3D and PC gaming (and they knew the succeccors would be even more of a threat) . in other words, they also wanted to get all the money from console part of the games market. besides, as these home game systems gradually started to keep up with desktop computers (ie DC as well), they really had no choice but to enter the console race as well. they would’ve done that sooner or later anyway, but it were PS1 and N64 that made them want to enter this side of the market.

oh, and people would’ve not got a PS2 over Wii even if it had motion controls. Wii’s killer apps are Ninty’s first party ones. besides, PS2 didn’t even have a programmble pipeline, it would’ve been a real pain in the ass for devs these days.

49. OlderGamer

Well your right.

But I was taking a gentle stab at the lack of online focus by Sony for the PS2. Something that even Sega offered on its Dreamcast(I have fond memories of playing Speed Devils Online, 2K Sports Online, and Phantasy Star Online, and more). Sony was very late to get PS2 online, and then it lacked killer apps or even a unified focus.

In that way, I think they left the door wide open for MS. MS being software focused could easily capitalize on Sony weakness.

And that, to be honest is why I went from Dreamcast to Xbox last gen. I owned and used a PS2 here and there. But I will have been a live gold member for 8 years come this nov. On xbox one I was enjoying Mechassult, 2K sports, Rally Challange, PSO, Halo2, and more.

Not jumping on Sony, really. In fact being a JP driven games company, I give them credit for the progress they have made in the Online arena. PSN is very good now.

I also am not 100% sure if MS ever felt threatened by Nintendo or Sony in a video games capacity. While games were on dos/windows yada yada, that really was never the focus of the company.

The way I understand it, and while I make no claim to know anything about Mr. Gates, I can tell you I have it on good authority that he fancies video games. Mostly old scool 80s/90s arcade stuff(think Gameroom type stuff). But it is an interest of his. And one of his pet projects was to get involved in the games industry. I think it was something they(MS) were looking at for awhile and saw an opertunity to apply something that they do to take games in new directions.

I could be wrong tho, what do I know.

50. DaMan

ah, i see then. i do believe MS would’ve went with (albeit probably lesser) emphasis on online gaming, even if they entered the market in the 90s.

like I was saying ‘threatened’ in the sense that they saw people giving their money to Japanese, and the clearly wanted that money too. they were very different games anyway..

well, they did focus on gaming for Windows, otherwise why push the DirectX? they also tried to kill OpenGL back then, but failed (fortunately!). besides, I assume they looked at the comapany’s future in perspective.. their OS likely will lose market share sooner or later. I presume that’s the way these giant corporations need to think.

51. OlderGamer

I would have to agree with you Doc.

52. DaMan

I’m not er, Doc (DrDamn I guess?) though.

53. OlderGamer

haha so right!

You Da Man!

lol geez my bad, I took some meds a bit ago, I always need to dbl check my posts when I do.

54. DaMan

i also confuse their name with mine sometimes, lulz.

55. theevilaires

@53, That explains comment 47 then O.G. ;)

56. OlderGamer

Zing!! He shoots, Tea scores!

57. sg1974

LOL nothing like a feel good sony story to bring gigahurtz out of self imposed exile