Red Storm drops 38 in drive to “focus on multiplayer”

Friday, 27th August 2010 07:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ghostrecon2

Ubisoft confirmed last night that 38 staff have been made redundant from Tom Clancy studio Red Storm Entertainment, as part of an effort to “focus on its core expertise” of “developing innovative multiplayer experiences.”

As reported by Kotaku, Ubisoft said the layoffs at the North Carolina-based studio were due to “a realignment of production priorities”.

“These team members have the opportunity to consider positions in other Ubisoft studios,” a rep said in a statement.

It’s unknown if the redundancies were the result of a product cancellation, but Ubi remained solid on the studio’s position within the group.

“Red Storm remains an integral part of Ubisoft’s worldwide production team and will continue to work on the multiplayer component of Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier,” said a rep.

Red Storm was founded by Tom Clancy and Doug Littlejohns, a British Navy Captain in 1996.

It’s best known for the Rainbow Six games in the late 90s and Ghost Recon in 2001.

The developer employs over 130 staff. Total head-count is unknown after last night’s reduction.

1. BraveArse

That just makes no sense at all. :(

2. Blerk

Sounds like they’ve canned everybody who was working on single-player stuff.

3. DrDamn

Weren’t the Ghost Recon titles a bit weird in that one studio did SP and another did MP – even down to the stupidity of them having different controls.

4. frostquake

Actually I think it is a good idea to have one group working on a Single Player Only Version that gets a Disc Based Release, and another Team working on a Multi-player Only that gets its own Disc Based Release.

Of course this will never happen, as I am sure it cuts into profits. But I am a Single Player Only Dude and Almost Never play any Multi-Player on a Game..except Resistance 2 on the PS3 as a Medic. If this game is going to be Multi-Player Mostly with a Sucky Single Player Mode tacked on to try and Sucker Us SP’ers like MW2 did, then I will pass on this game.

Mind you I know that there are TONS of Multi-Players out there that could careless about Single Player Games and Stories..so that is Fine as well, I have no problem with that…I just wish they would clearly state if a Game is Mostly Multi-Player and the Single Player is nothing more then a Bot Game for Training..which we are starting to see more and more…

This story has me concerned now, I think I will get this on the Down Hill Slide on the Cheap Now…Sounds like another Lost Planet 2, where you better have 4 Players or your screwed as well.

5. napster404

same here.I’m playing only single player campaign and it’s very sad to hear this :(
    if its gonna be like ‘single campaign=intro for multiplayer’
    than I will pass on this game as well.

6. AHA-Lambda