Howard: New Bethesda game “pretty far along”, working on another

Monday, 16th August 2010 17:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bethesda

Todd Howard has said the unannounced game he and his team of over 90 staffers are currently at work on has been in development for around two years now, and furthermore, Howard said he’s also at work on another unannounced title at Bethesda.

Speaking with Eurogamer at QuakeCon, Howard said the title furthest along will be announced soon, but he wouldn’t say when to expect the reveal.

“I spend a lot of my time on the game that’s in pre-production, but the new game that’s percolating takes the most of my time,” he said. “Right, so we’re in production on the new game, and we have a design going for the one after that.

“We’re not ready even to talk about [the timing of the announcement], because it might change. I don’t want to disappoint people.

“One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it’s out will be the shortest it’s been for us. It’s pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there’s a lot of game there to play right now.

“You know, if [global VP of PR and marketing] Pete Hines came in and said, ‘I want you to show it,’ I’d be like, ‘Okay, I’m ready to show it.’ But we’ve just decided for now not to yet.”

Howard wouldn’t even hint if it was a new Elder Scrolls title or not, but instead mentioned the game was created using  modified version of Fallout 3′s engine.

“Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion,” he said. “The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.

“I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we’re really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.”

Howard first revealed the unannounced title during his QuakeCon panel last week with RAGE producer Tim Willits and Respawn Entertainment’s Vince Zampella and Jason West.

1. paddypeople

ok if its an elder scrolls mmo i’m happy. dont go on bout a fallout one though cause they are making one

2. Xuchilbara

Whatever it is, its from Bethesda…. It will be a HUGE game, with a very strong story line… My kind of game.

3. Shubb9

Guarantee it’ll be a new Elder Scrolls if he’s talking up the Gamebryo engine and how ‘amazing’ it now is, regardless of how much bile its shortcomings attract and deserve. So much for the dream if idtech5 + ElderScrolls5 /sad emoticon

4. Moonwalker1982

Damn, all this teasing and not being clear about anything…please let this be a new Elder Scrolls. It’s about DAMN time. And no MMO please. I really don’t like the idea of paying every month for a game i already bought.

5. Anders

A bit disappointed to see that they stick to the Gamebryo engine though.

6. Gekidami

Yeah that is abit lame. Then again a modified version of an engine can mean anything. I mean God of War 3 is technically using the same engine as GoW2…

7. Erthazus

You what, expected new elder Scrolls to run on Id Tech 5?
    Except that it is not possible at all. (I mean that it is possible, but a lot of will be sacrificed)

Rage is using Wasteland as the setting because imagine if there would be forests or jungles with megatextures, consoles just don’t have enough horsepower for these resources.

But Id tech 5 with megatextures would be a perfect fit for the TES series. Absolutely perfect, but not this time i guess.

8. Moonwalker1982

Does this mean that we still have ridiculously stiff animations and such? I mean i love Oblivion but come on. At least lets see some realistic/lifelike animations for a change now.

9. SaintRasmus

“We’re not ready even to talk about it”

Then shut the fuck up and come back when you are ready to talk about it.

10. Anders

@Erthazus: God no. The only way that could happen is if they would delay the game until the next generation of consoles, and I wouldn’t want that. I did hope that they had decided to switch to a new engine after Fallout 3 though. UE3 or something.

11. LOLshock94

@2 bethesda never make a solid story they just make there games fun with some sort of story and fuck MMOs
    MMOs are the shittest games ever

12. unacomn

If it’s TES 5, I hope to God the PC version will use an interface like the one Morrowind had. The one from Oblivion just made me sad.

13. LordCancer

14. Erthazus

@13 Whats the problem? Morrowind interface on Xbox was bad because it was ported straight from the PC, but this time around Oblivion was just ported for consoles.

Next time they need to make interface for the console and PC.

@10 Ue3, yeah perfect engine that don’t support sandbox type of games except the game like Wheelman if you love :D lawl.
    the best engine for now is the old one but improved.