Next Operation Flashpoint to be called Red River

Saturday, 31st July 2010 17:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

codemasters

Looks like the next entry in in the Operation Flashpoint series will be called Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

According to the next issue of OXM, the sequel to Dragon Rising feels “tighter, more focused” this time around and will be out sometime in 2011.

That’s about all that’s known at the moment, really. More information will be in the mag when it hits stands, so look out for it if you are interested.

Codemasters’ Southam is working on the project, according to Codies SVP of production, Jamie MacDonald, who outed the news to Develop earlier in the week.

Thanks, Joystiq (via CVG).

1. CaptPierce

Why make it tighter? I like OF’s open ended structure to things. Although I did somewhat enjoy Dragon Rising, Codemasters is slowly killing the Operation Flashpoint IP.

2. loki

I don’t care

3. DeSpiritusBellum

@1 What you’re looking at there are general adjectives.

I don’t see anything wrong with “tighter” or “more focused”.

I think what people really want to know is whether they’re going to drop the online and console optimization. Having to use spawn triggers to create a mission with more than a company is ridiculous.

It’s hard to say whether Flashpoint is gonna make it or not, but given that there isn’t a lot of demand for tactical games, I’d say they’d be a lot better off making the PC version something special, and throwing the modding community a bone.

It’s not about consoles versus anything, but I’d say that’s where the audience is hiding, and that limited optimization was what was holding the original back.

4. Gekidami

Lets hope is dosnt suck this time, eh?
    Oh and Codemasters, a word of advice; If you’re aiming to make something realistic, make every aspect of the game realistic. Real life vehicles arent exploding death traps and i dont care how red a barrel is, unless they’re packed with TNT shooting them with normal bullets shouldnt make them explode.

5. mathare92

Red River… Redemption? …anyone?

6. LOLshock94

2011 more like 2015 but this is the best news this year 4 me i really enjoyed OFP and and i still play it i hope its on another island which looks like tropico

7. coronakid71

i dont know why people bashed OFP DR. i thought it was a GREAT game and cant wait for the next one. it was a nice welcome change from the arcade COD shooter. i say bring it on codemasters bring it on. it will be a day one buy for me

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@4 I say bring it on. I think the action effects are pretty stupid myself, but to be fair any vehicle patrolling a combat zone is going to be loaded with ammunition and explosives. To compare, soldiers do get wounded or killed by rounds impacting their grenades, especially WP grenades are known to be a hazard. I’ve even heard of magazines getting hit and igniting tracer rounds.

In general, and quite sadly, a lot of these “realism” games tend to miss a lot of very obvious elements of what constitutes realism, like when they make helicopters fly in a straight line right into a combat zone. I don’t recall even seeing one dropping flares.

@7 There’s a game series called ArmA, and it’s made by this underdog company called Bohemia, and the ArmA fans are pretty insecure because they know the game is pretty flawed, but they’ll still defend it till the day they die. So a bigger budget game encroaching on that territory is gonna catch some flak.

9. LOLshock94

ARMA is amazing but half the shit on there aint realistic especially the mods and the AI

10. HeliosCM

“Tighter, more focused” has nothing to do with rails or corridors. Just wanted to reassure people about that part.