Mega Man Universe announced for XBL and PSN

Friday, 16th July 2010 18:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

megamanuniverse

Capcom’s sent word Mega Man is heading to XBL and PSN in a new adventure called Mega Man Universe, which it teased through its Comic Con schedule.

According to the press release, this will be a Mega Man game “the core experience fans want” and more details are to be provided on it at Comic Con.

In the teaser video posted below, it shows our hero fighting it out with Dr. Wily’s bootlickers via 2D, stop-motion, and various other art styles.

In addition, you’ll notice Mega Man turn into Ryu and Arthur from Ghosts ‘n Goblins’.

“We are thrilled to finally be able to announce Mega Man Universe,” said Capcom’s Kenji Inafune. “This game will break the mold and challenge the conventional wisdom of what a Mega Man game can be.

“When fans finally get to see it, I believe they’ll envision their most far-out Mega Man dreams coming true.”

Neato.

1. Gekidami

Cross over thing by the looks of it.

2. LOLshock94

my life is ruined

3. WetSnake

4. DarkElfa

I thought it was a Mega Man MMO.

5. LOLshock94

yeah same and can sum1 tell me what word press error is????

6. hitnrun

Whoever thought this was a good idea – the trailer, not the game, whatever it is – should be shot.

EDIT: Specifically, the idea of making an 80s claymation cartoon of a kid’s drug experimentation without any context whatsoever. Then just throwing it to fans with nothing more than a “here, catch.”

7. xino

core fans…so it’s based on the old classic megaman.

whatever…fans want X instead.

it’s because of the Megaman 9/10 sales that’s why this trash is being made.

8. hitnrun

@xino: I think X started to suck somewhere around 3, and the entire X “universe” is now an unworkable train accident (not that Capcom couldn’t just brush it aside). But I guess if by “core fans” you mean the few people who were still following MM before 9, you might be right.

And I have a sneaking suspicion you’re right about Capcom as well. MM9 was a great game…MM10 felt quite rushed and less fluid, like an amateur mod, but still had the same fundamentals. But you got the sense that Capcom had caught the scent of retro money and was on the hunt for more.

Now they’ve made this…Game Genie commercial, representing God only knows what. I’ll put it politely: “I hope to be pleasantly surprised.”

In the meantime, there’s always this.

9. Moonwalker1982

I have always hoped for a quality 3D Megaman game, but it never happened. So exactly what is this gonna be?

10. onlineatron

That was the best thing ever.

The whole game should be claymation.

/Controversy