Microsoft pulls plug on 1 vs 100

Thursday, 15th July 2010 15:51 GMT By Johnny Cullen

1vs100season2

Microsoft’s announced it’s canceled 1 vs 100 for Xbox Live.

The game was downloaded 3 million times, played by 114,000 Live users in the US and 81,000 users in the UK and Republic of Ireland during its time in Beta, but that didn’t seem to be enough for MS.

“When we started on this journey, we knew we were creating an entirely new genre of entertainment that would be a continually evolving concept,” MGS GM Dave McCartney told Kotaku.

“We’re very proud of the ‘1 vs 100′ team and their accomplishments, and are excited to apply what we’ve learned to future programming.”

MS says the dev team behind the game is now “focusing their skills and applying the technology used to develop ’1 vs 100′ to new projects that will be unveiled in the future.”

And that’s the end of that chapter.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

It was a retarded idea in the first place, sure its fun to get thos points, but retarded game. Everyone laughs at PS home from Microsoft side, but we all know Microsoft can not make a proper place for online friends.

2. Blerk

What? 1 vs 100 was great – far better than it ought to have been. Like an enormous pub quiz. I’m sad to see it go.

3. Whizzo

1 vs 100 was excellent, in a party or with others in the same room it was tons of fun to compete with your friends. It’s a real shame it’s not coming back.

4. Eon

Yeah, seems odd to remove such a great experience.

5. cookiejar

Microsoft do seem to give up on projects at the drop of a hat. I see Game Room is hardly getting the red carpet treatment at the moment, now they’ve pulled this.

6. Boris Fett

What everyone else said. I had a ton of fun with this game. I’m surprised to see the plug being pulled.

Sad day. =(

7. r0cks0l1dd

WHAT! This game broke a world record and it was a good laugh but they still remove it? I hope the 1 vs 100 team’s new projects are similar in a way.

8. Bloodyghost

WHY!? MS is so fucking stupid. loved it.

9. Stephany Nunneley

@ 2-8 agree 100% loved it.

10. Aimless

The only way this could be good news is if they’re redirecting all funding into a Live-based The Crystal Maze.

11. theevilaires

Best fucking thing on XBOX LIVE. Would have bought LIVE just for this. I really wanted to challenge Psychotext in this game so bad. Its a shame but its M$.

12. The Juice707

This is retarded. This game actually got my parents (who are in their 50′s) playing a video game. I spent a lot of time playing it myself- especially as the season came to an end. I am glad I can say I took advantage of those final days.

Whatever… MS was supposed to make the “Primetime Channel” that had a bunch of stuff like this and they never went forward with it. Which reminds me… whatever happened to “Live Anywhere”??? This is a disappointment.

13. Tonka

Boo Hiss MS == Much Shit lol!