Greenberg: Xbox 360 sales up 88%, lead console in June

Thursday, 15th July 2010 21:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

new360

Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg has said on Twitter Xbox 360 sales are up 88 percent post E3, and Xbox 360 was the top selling console in June.

The NPD figures are out later this evening, so thanks to Greenberg blowing the whistle early, we at least know what console won the hardware wars for last month.

Greenberg attributed the sales spike to the new Xbox 360 model unveiled at E3.

In response to last month’s NPD results, Microsoft, which came in third for the month behind Wii with 194.6K units, released a statement, citing great “feedback from retailers that the new Xbox 360 250GB is experiencing unprecedented demand”.

We should be getting the full thing here in a bit, but it looks like we already know who won.

1. cookiejar

Well if sales didn’t go up with a new console launch, things would be horribly wrong :)

2. Mike

More than Wii? :O

Doubt it.

3. Stephany Nunneley

I bet DS beat everything again though – even if it is technically not a console.

4. Bloodyghost

@3 I agree. Freakin DS is a monster….

Just prepare to see the phenomenal sales of 3DS….everyone take cover…

5. The Hindle

Just seen the NPD and the 360 owned this month impressive stuff.

6. Xuchilbara

IMO… These NPD sales don’t mean shit…. I would GUARANTEE that over 80% of these sales are from people trading in their old Xbox’s for these. NOT VERY IMPRESSIVE if you ask me.

7. theevilaires

You’re right #6. Mostly the die hard XBOTs wanting built in wifi. Fucking shame really. Paying $300 for a built in wifi adapter is sad….but thats why they’re XBOTs.

8. Xuchilbara

@7 Agreed, and the funny thing is, even after buying the system over and over, they are still the ones who complain “The PS3 is to expensive”

9. jeremycafe

You guys try to insult “MS fanboys” every chance you get? Think you guys are fitting the image of a fan boy a bit more ;)

Yes, it sucks having to replace the sh*t hardware, I am on my 3rd. But having both consoles, I will continue to do so because for me, my gaming experience is far more enjoyed on the 360. I probably wouldn’t play to many console games anymore if I had to shift to PS3.

Bottom line, either its because the 360 platform is more user friendly, or just because we are so familiar with the live interface? I dont know, but I am not leaving it any time soon for what my ps3 offers.

10. ExclusivesMostly

@9: You’re loss :)

11. theevilaires

#9 translation:

You guys try to insult us “XBOTs” every chance you get?
    So what I’ve bought a different XBOX every year cause MS adds new features to the hardware that the PS3 has had from the beginning. I don’t like PS3 anyway cause they have free online play and games like UC2 are way better than Gears.

I’m not gonna shift my games and have my eyes melt out my head by those amazing graphics from games like GOW3 and Heavy Rain.

Bottom line I like paying for facebook,lastF.M.,and twitter on xbox live and soon we’re getting ESPN. The new Natal interface will rock. So I’m not leaving anytime soon cause M$ sticks it to me pretty good. LONG LIVE ONLINE PAY! :D

12. Bloodyghost

@11 Grow up
    @9 Calm Down get PS3, youll like. We are not saying “leave the xbox forever111″ we are saying there is a greater experience if you have both than you do with one.

13. Kuwabara

the reason why xbox sells more than ps3 in america is cause it’s a nation of generally stupid people.there are alot of smart americans, but those teenagers or kids that go off and buy a xbox360 are misled, poor or stupid.

14. theevilaires

I agree #13. We got stupid kids playing bad games :D Time for them to step their game up :P

15. _Sikamikanico_

Christ, this site is really going to the dogs. It’s like having members of SDF floating around, except they ACTUALLY BELIEVE WHAT THEY’RE SAYING.

To quote Duke Nukem: You’re an inspiration for birth control.

;o)

16. Gadzooks!

Dont worry, they will be shut up for good very soon. The ignore button (or ‘remove idiocy’ button) will do what the moderators should be doing.

17. theevilaires

^ still in denial :D

18. _Sikamikanico_

Not sure if you chaps have seen this – looks like Microsoft might announce the price for Kinect soon than we thought?

19. Patrick Garratt

@18 – Excellent. Thanks.

20. Mike

When I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

21. Blerk