No new Assassin’s Creed next year, says Ubisoft

Thursday, 8th July 2010 12:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

assassinscreed5

Assassin’s Creed associate producer Jean-Francois Boivin has told EG that the series will take a breather next year, following the release of Brotherhood in November.

The news comes as the publisher readies to release Brotherhood a year after the launch of Assassin’s Creed II.

“Honestly, I think for the benefit of everybody – and business can come back and override everything I say because at the end of the day it’s about selling games – I believe that this license needs a breather,” said Boivin.

“You can’t plough a field every year. Once every three years – or once every something – you have to let it breathe. You have to let the minerals back in. I think it’s the same thing with any license, really.”

He added: “I don’t think there’s going to be an Assassin’s Creed in 2011. I think we’re going to let it breathe a bit and really focus on bringing something new and exciting for the next time around. This [Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood] is the end of Ezio’s story. This is it.”

Despite comments from Boivin, back in March, Splinter Cell: Conviction’s creative director Maxime Béland told Edge that yearly series outings on big Ubisoft IPs like Assassin’s Creed and Splinter Cell were a given.

“This is a long-term vision, so I’m not telling you that yes, in a year you’ll have another Splinter Cell, but right now the direction Yves [Guilemot, Ubisoft CEO] gave us and where the company is going to go is, at one point, if the direction doesn’t change, yes you’re going to be seeing Splinter Cell games, just like Assassin’s Creed games, just like anything else, released a little bit more often,” he said.

Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood releases on November 19 for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. cookiejar

That’s refreshing.

2. Gheritt White

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I want my French Revolution AC3!!!

3. Anders

Glad to see that they won’t make it an annual series.

4. Hunam

Good. I’m glad they’re making the sensible decision to not run it dry.

I got AC2 Complete about a week ago and I’m about half way through it. It is rather amazing but I can see why even at this point why it would need extending, it’s just so amazingly big and I really think the project was too much for what could be done in 3 or so years. I’d imagine the mulitplayer was probably built for AC2 but not taken very far due to dev constraints and possibly Rome may have been started (though It might be in AC2 I can say yet) for the game.

I’m really looking forward to Brotherhood because AC2 is so big and amazing and I think an expansion of sorts would do the whole AC2 package some great worth.

5. Blerk

Indeed, yearly updates are a guaranteed way to kill a franchise stone dead. Take time and do the next proper sequel ‘right’.

Of course, they just lost their head guy, didn’t they? That might have something to do with it too.

6. Thalius

AC: Brotherhood to me fells like “milking the cow” instead of AC3 like it should be. They do this crap using the same assets and copy paste into a “new” game. I for one i’m not buying this crap. This should’ve been DLC.

7. Bulk Slash

Good. I am still extremely dubious about Brotherhood being much more than a re-hash of ACII’s elements, so it’s good to hear that the next game (which IS still the last in this trilogy of four parts, right Ubisoft?) will take some time to finish and will be a properly polished sequel rather than a rushed vehicle for selling MP map packs.

8. Hunam

Brotherhood is more of an experiment than anything else, hence why it’s a stand alone game. It’d be far, far too big for DLC and no doubt there was still a load of stuff they designed or started building for AC2 which got cut out. AC2 was far too big of a game to be honest, frighteningly so really.

If the MP fails then it’s no major loss, if it’s great then they can refine it for AC3 to make the package even better. It’s win/win.