Hulu Plus for PS3 next month, 360 next year

Tuesday, 29th June 2010 19:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

hululogo

Hulu Plus has been confirmed for PS3 and Xbox 360 via Hulu’s official site. Looks as though Sony got its claws in first.

The service will run you $10 per month, and is already available for iPhone and iPad, with PS3 getting it in July.

Internet-enabled televisions and Blu-ray will get the service in the fall, and it’s coming to Xbox 360 in early 2011.

Microsoft said the reason for the 360 delay was due to a “customized experience” being created for the service via Xbox Live.

“We are taking the time to ensure that the Hulu Plus experience for Xbox 360 is the best on TV,” said Major Nelson in a statement, “and like our other entertainment experiences, it will not be a port, but rather a custom experience that leverages the Xbox Live community features”.

An official response from Microsoft added that Hulu Plus works with Kinect for a controller-free experience, and it will incorporate Xbox Live Parties so you can watch shows with friends “no matter where they are”, with more details to be announced at a later time.

Hulu Plus will be available for US Xbox Live Gold Members only.

Meanwhile, Sony has confirmed to VG247 that Hulu Plus will be coming soon to PS3, and that more specific information would be announced “shortly”.

Hulu was rumored for Xbox 360 earlier in the month, while word that the service was to be added to PS3 hit last week.

The official site has a guided tour here. While you are at it, you can request an invitation for a service preview.

Full current seasons available through Hulu Plus include:

• The Cleveland Show
  • The Good Guys
  • The Office
  • The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
  • The Wanda Sykes Show
  • Trauma

Full season runs available include:

• 30 Rock
  • The Office
  • The Pretender
  • The X-Files
  • Ugly Betty
  • What About Brian

1. mington

in the UK? of course not

whats on hulu anyways….old episodes of lost n shit

2. Patrick Garratt

PS3 on the move.

*points at top three images*

3. mington

If theres no true blood flavored neck breaking vampire sex then count me out

4. spiderLAW

It sure is.
    I sent you and Johnny a freinds request on PSN and XBL

5. Patrick Garratt

@4 Having a few internet issues at the moment, but I’ll confirm them both when I get properly up and running again.

6. spiderLAW

Cool

@everyone
    Watching Hulu on TV
    Consumers can now also watch Hulu on their TVs, according to Popular Science’s December 2009 Top 100 Innovations of the Year issue, by downloading MediaMall Technologies’ PlayOn software which works with their networked Wii, Xbox 360, or DLNA-compatible device connected to their TV,[28] or by simply connecting a computer with a streaming capable video card to the TV via HDMI or an RCA connector.

7. Patrick Garratt

Nelson’s just explained the 360 delay. Steph’s added it.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

If “Hulu” is free online, why would one pay $10 a month for it on PS3?

**nevermind** just read the differences

9. theevilaires

“Hulu Plus will be available for US Xbox Live Gold Members only”.

HAHA another good swift kick in the nuts by M$ :D

XBOX LIVE + Value = Yea…Right!

10. Lloytron

So Xbox Gold is required, AND a monthly subscription? Ouch, glad I’m not in the US

11. theevilaires

talk about adding insult to injury right. How does Facebook,Twitter,Last F.M,ESPN, and Hulu equate to any fucking value on 360 when you can have your laptop next to you using all those services at the same time for FREE while still playing COD4 online.

How can people be that stupid to believe M$ gives a shit and are not raping you cause they get revenue from all those ads on LIVE. Its down right disgusting what they are doing to their customers.

12. Mike Honcho

Bend over sayeth GREENBERG ….. thus people bent over ….

13. Blerk

You know, it’d be nice if they did something for Europe once in a while. Especially you, Microsoft.

14. Blerk

Hulu on Playstation 3 requires Playstation Plus account!

The slippery slope just got more slippery!

15. NiceFellow

Y’now, the more I look at this, the more I feel that long term Live may prove to have been a bad thing for us consumers (stick with me an I’ll explain).

Initially it was a fairly small charge to cover MS hosting a very good online service for gamers. Fair enough.

Now, though, it’s morphed into a charge to get access to a closed, MS controlled experience, to other services that charge, too.

Sony is now of course following suit, although it actually looks better to me now as if you want to fore-go this stuff the actual online gaming remains (for now) free plus with the internet browser (which is okay but a bit clunky) Facebook, etc. remain available and free.

But as @14 says, this is a slippery slope, but not just for PSN for us the consumer in general, and it started with Live when Facebook, etc. got added and you had to pay MS to get access to services that are otherwise free as well as services which then charge – i.e. when Live stopped being about paying for just your online gaming but access via your Xbox to online services free or otherwise.

This was not good in my view for consumers.

Taken at face value I see this:

on a PC I pay my ISP and then I get Facebook, etc. for free. If I want I can pay for other services, too

on a console, I have to pay my ISP, pay my console provider and then get access to free content as well as other paid services

Right now Live is the worst offender with PSN catching up and it seems that in the same way gamers gave Activision the okay to charge more for MW2 and then silly money for the map packs they are now giving companies MS and Sony cart blanche to insert an additional charge between us and other services.

Not a good trend and I blame all of you who’ve backed this over the years!

Note I like the idea of getting access via my PS3 or 360 to such services, but the idea MS and Sony should be able to put an additional charge on top of my ISP and any paid for services is just crazy.