Sony considering more HD collections

Monday, 28th June 2010 06:28 GMT By Joe Anderson

slycollection1

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has said the company is interested in releasing more HD collections in the future.

Speaking in an interview with IGN, Yoshida said the success of the God of War collection has shown Sony the demand for this type of product.

“Santa Monica Studios had the brilliant idea to upgrade and improve God of War for PS3 with the God of War Collection that we released last year,” Yoshida said.

“There were a lot of positive reactions from consumers in doing that, and now we get a lot of suggestions for types of packs they’d like to see.”

Yoshida then confirmed what most PS3 fans wanted to hear.

“We are looking to continue to do these HD conversions,” he said.

The next series in the collection comes in the form of Sly Cooper.Sony has designed a new type of packaging for Sly named “Classics HD.”

The Sly Collection will be released alongside PlayStation Move later this year.

1. StaceyEmerson

ratchet and clank collection would be nice

2. lirky

Well this confirms that all ps3s wont be able to play ps2 games backwards compat. So u have to rebuy your old ps2 games so that u can enjoy them in HD crisp quality.

3. The_Deleted

Yeah… That’s BC dead and done.
    Still there’s always the PS4…
    That said, with deals like this, 2-3 games a disc, it’s hardly daylight robbery.

4. osric90

Nah… Maybe BC is not completely dead. Remember all those “proofs” about BC coming as software emulation which would be awesome. Nonetheless, HD collections in a single Blu ray like MGS, SH and even RE would be AWESOME and I’m sure I would buy them…because I’m a fan. I wouldn’t be buying HD collections for GT, GTA and other though. So BC should be back, MUST!

5. WizardWeb

Obviously I’d like Timesplitters 2 to get the HD treatment, or even a Timesplitters collection. Unlikely to happen though.

However I’m not surprised they’re taking this route. If they just made a PS3 backwards compatible, there’s no money in it for them and it might harm sales of new games if people are preoccupied playing games they already have, or can buy extremely cheaply off eBay, Game or wherever.

Also an HD version of the game can include network features. Hmmm… online Timesplitters….

6. Thalius

Metal Gear Solid Collection is a no-brainer… With MGS4 and now Rising i think the the MGS Collection would sell like crazy.

One of my favorite PS2 Sagas is the Kain Series, so Legacy of Kain Collection would be a must buy for me.

7. rainer

Yeah Ratchet & Clank series plus the Jak series would be great additions.

FYI this is proper software BC but this approach costs money which Sony has to make back somehow to justify the software engineers working on it.

A general purpose PS2 software emulator is almost impossible, the PS2 GPU (if you can call it that) can do things the PS3 GPU cannot do and vice versa, completely different animals.

If your at all familiar with the PS2 PC emulator (PS3 is closer to PC than to PS2) it requires a ton of hacks depending on the individual title in order to make it playable so everything would be on a per title basis.

8. The_Deleted

The whole backwards compatibility harming sales is bollocks.
    It never hurt the PS2. People will always want nice shiny games over old ones, it’s just nice to have the option to play the old classics easily.
    But, the HD upgrades make these classics run a lot smoother on modern TV Tech, so it’s always be a temptation to geeks like me.
    And a fair few of you, BackCom, or not.

9. StolenGlory

The whole situation just seems silly to me. We were promised 73/74% BC originally with the PS3 60GB (USA folks got close to 99% with the same model), then we find out that the 60GB is being discontinued and with it the BC.

Now though, we find ‘HD’ collections like God Of War (nice effort on the interlaced video BTW) and Sly Cooper being re-released for us to buy when in all fairness we should have been able to just toss our existing discs into our PS3 and play it that way instead of forking out money on a per-release basis to play games that we already own/owned.

10. Crysis

i’d like the grand theft auto collection, including III, Vice City, San Andreas, liberty & Vice City stories, $50 seems like the sweet spot, all would fit on one BD disk too :P

11. cookiejar

I could see BC coming to PlayStation Plus users if anything.

@10 Do want :D

12. StolenGlory

@CookieJar.

BC would be the *only* reason that would make me sign up for Playstation Plus.

13. NiceFellow

BC always seems nice – but for me (I have 60GB fat with probably around 85% BC) it turned out to be something I didn’t use much.

Even with the decent upscaling most PS2 titles just tended to look to weak on an HD title next to their PS3 counterparts.

This approach, provided they price sensibly, makes sense even if it does feel like they’re selling you something twice.

The GoW collection really showed how, for fairly minimal effort, great titles could be brought bang up to date graphically and sell well into the bargin.

I have ICO and SOTC, for example, and still play them sometimes using the BC on my PS3, but I’d happily pay a fair price to get them in HD with a superior frame rate and that’s really what this is about for me.

Jak and Daxter, R&C, MGS, there are plenty of core franchises this would work for.

Really, in hindsight, if Sony had simply never promised BC, saved some money on PS3 production costs and took this approach early on they’d very likely be in a better place.

14. StolenGlory

‘Really, in hindsight, if Sony had simply never promised BC, saved some money on PS3 production costs and took this approach early on they’d very likely be in a better place’.

Completely and totally agree.

15. mington

The only games i have gone back to my ps2 for was a playthrough of god of war 2 before GOW3 was released and i got half way through persona 4, I probably would’ve of got a bit further in persona 4 if i could’ve played it on my ps3, other than that and with a release of a HD sotc i would never need backwards comparability.

16. DrDamn

Agree. Got a fat 60G PS3 and b/c is alright, but I’ve rarely used it. These collection things are really nice though, properly rendered at 720p rather than upscaled and improved frame rates add a lot.

17. mington

A HD persona 3/4 pack would be so good, if they updated it a bit, changed the save system and got rid of all the loading screens it’d be a winner, and it’d sell a bucket load as it would get top scores from reviews across the board

18. Alakratt

I don’t have any of the Sly games but those other games that everyone keeps requesting I do have. Like all the DMC, Onimusha, Jak and Daxter, SOTC (not ICO) and FFs games. The truth is that even though I have b/c, I would buy their HD versions. HD res, trophies and a higher framerate (SPECIALLY for SOTC) would be fucking awesome!

19. Blerk

For my money, there are very, very few series for which they could actually pull this off with any measure of success. And most of them aren’t owned by Sony themselves, which makes them rather unlikely to ever appear.

20. Alakratt

Which ones Blerk? Just for curiosity’s sake.

21. Blerk

Aside from Ico/SotC, I’m thinking…. Metal Gear. Silent Hill. Final Fantasy. Devil May Cry at a push.

Stuff like Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank are more likely, but… do people really want them? I can’t even imagine the Sly Raccoon remix doing very well – they didn’t sell in any great number the first time around.

22. Johnny Cullen

A Metal Gear collection would do very well if promoted right.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 remastered, plus a PSN coupon for the original MGS1.

Maybe even a bundle alongside MGS4 and Rising.

23. The Hindle

Maybe it doesnt appeal to you Blerk as you dont own a Ps3 but to people who do this is a good way to catch up on games that you missed.

24. mington

I hope that they aren’t looking at the sales of sly to judge whether to make more of these collections (i don’t think it’ll do too well)

but i definitely think they have more in the pipe line considering they’ve made a HD classics range cover design

25. The Hindle

Each of the Sly games did over 1m i think, id say thats pretty good personally.

26. Alakratt

IF they do that, I HOPE they release a trophy patch for MGS4. I mean, it’s weird that MGS2 and 3 having trophies but 4 doesn’t. And before anyone says anything, yeah yeah, I’m on the I-want-trophies-for-MGS4 bandwagon.

27. DaMan

Silent Hill? didn’t Shattered Memories flop?

those games barely did a million in the golden days of survival horror.

28. The Hindle

Aye people need to revalulate what they consider to be selling well. Its getting pretty stupid when people are expecting games like Alan wake or Heavy rain to sell as much as Halo.

29. Alakratt

Apparently Amazon France knows more than us. http://www.amazon.fr/Sony-The-Team-ICO-collection/dp/B003RWS3ES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277730292&sr=8-1

30. Telepathic.Geometry

I’d love to have the first Jak and Daxter on my PS3, it’s one of my all-time favourite games. :) Never played Sly Raccoon, but I’m wondering, could they have sold like Jak and Daxter 1, Sly Raccoon 1 and Ratchet and Clank 1 all together in a compendium? I’d fucking buy it.

31. DaMan

@28 I was just commenting on Blerk’s post.

surely they might as well rerelease Valkyrie Profile or something.

32. DrDamn

@Blerk
    I think this sort of option would open to third party publishers, it’s whether they see the value or not is the question. Wasn’t there something implying this sort of thing in a leaked Sega memo a while back?

33. The Hindle

Id expect a DMC collection for definate, a Capcom Pr said as much a few months ago.

34. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’d definitley buy GTA, Resident Evil, ICO/SOTC, and MGS bundles.

You know what would really rock? Releasing the best of DS 2D Castlevania’s in full HD.

35. theevilaires

#22 and 26 I’m with you guys 1000% percent. So many people missed out on MGS3 because of Raiden in MGS2 thing. Oh a HD MGS3 with trophies would be my favorite game in the universe forever.

36. mington

@34 yes!

37. Blerk

Gah, how could I forget Resident Evil? That’d work, yes. Providing they fixed the controls.

38. Alakratt

Forever and ever? lol

39. theevilaires

Alakratt if I was stranded on an island and could only bring 1 console and 1 game it would be the PS3 (my original 60GB) and MGS3. No doubt I can play that game forever and forever and never get tired of it. Almost like Uncharted 2 but MGS3 story it perfect man.

40. No_PUDding

All of the worthwhile ones have been mentioned.

Love ICO/Shadow
    Would buy MGS Collection
    And Ofcourse GTA’s (specifically III)

Although I’d love to see Chaos Theory for PS2, HD-ized. Probabaly look like ass, but it’s a brilliant game.

41. Catkiller

Still, who the hell is Sly Cooper…? I hardly believe Sony sold over 1 mil. copies of this anticharismatic junk