Microsoft: iPlayer is not a priority for Xbox 360

Friday, 25th June 2010 14:41 GMT By Joe Anderson

BBC iPlayer

Microsoft’s senior regional director for Northern Europe, Neil Thompson, has said bringing BBC iPlayer to Xbox 360 is not a top priority.

In an interview at E3 last week with OXM, Thompson said that despite the US debut of ESPN on Xbox 360, the iPlayer will not be following in the UK.

“iPlayer is available on a lot of platforms, people connect to that content in a lot of ways today and it’s like ‘where would we add value to that particular property at this point?’ and we think we can probably add value in other areas at the moment,” he said.

Using Sky as an example, Thompson said that Microsoft would rather bring new experiences to users rather than experiences that exist elsewhere.

“What we did with Sky was innovative in the Xbox Live world throughout the globe, with the Fanzone areas that we were doing and what Avatars could do in the Fanzone areas – all of that was new and innovative and came to the UK first so I think we are innovating through that platform through that sort of service and that’s where we’re going to continue to innovate,” he said.

A source close to the BBC said last year that  Microsoft didn’t want iPlayer on Xbox 360 unless it was made available as a Gold service, whereas the BBC wants iPlayer to remain free for everyone.

iPlayer is currently available on Wii and PS3.

1. Blerk

“‘cos there’s no bloody money in it!”, he didn’t add.

It’s not really that the BBC wants the iPlayer to be free, they have no choice – iirc, their mandate says that they’re not allowed to charge for it in the UK.

Not that I’m even remotely bothered, of course. Sky Player, Last FM, etc. etc. are all on my dash and I’ve used them all once out of curiosity and then never touched them again.

The same goes for iPlayer on the Wii. It’s just not how I watch telly when I have a perfectly serviceable PVR.

2. Panou

Microsoft priority is Kinect!!

Oh wait. =/

3. theevilaires

but crap ass facebook and twitter is. ESPN is? You know what they are saying really…..FUCK YOU EUROS! We only care about getting you to pay for SKY :D

really sad that puppets like Gadzooks! will still bend over and take it from them though :( :D

4. StolenGlory

I would say that this bothers me, but I have a PS3/PC so it kinda doesn’t. With that in mind however, I can see how 360 owners might seem justifiably jilted in not having BBC iPlayer on their machine if they have no other means of getting it.

Hopefully something will get worked out in the future for those folks.

5. ivycrew707

ESPN was a nice move….first time I’ve envied xbox

6. Blerk

Actually the Twitter thing is kind of useful given their baffling reluctance to add a web browser. I followed some game news sites with my Twitter account so I can browse gaming headlines when I’ve got the 360 on without having to turn the computer on.

7. asdfasdf

A source close to the BBC said last year that Microsoft didn’t want iPlayer on Xbox 360 unless it was made available as a Gold service, whereas the BBC wants iPlayer to remain free for everyone.

8. Gadzooks!

Of course we all know that MS wont have it because it can’t be charged for. MS should really ‘fess up on that issue.

I don’t get a huge amount of use out of iPlayer on my PS3, but it has been usefull when I’ve needed it and I’ve been glad it was there, same as YouTube integration and the same with Last.FM on the 360 dash.

As always, Facebook and Twitter can rot in hell. :D

@TEA

Make the most of it child, your silence is incoming. Permanent, unavoidable impotent silence.

9. DrDamn

Lack of web browser is a bit bizarre – I guess it’s a control thing. I use the PS3 one quite frequently but it isn’t the most comprehensive or reliable of browsers. Some sites just don’t work properly with it … silly little inconsequential sites like http://www.sony.com for example.

10. Blerk

I hope it’s better than the PSP browser! I’ve tried to use that a few times and it’s a bloody nightmare!

11. mathare92

@5 I heard that they’re basically going to show the same stuff you can watch for free right now at espn3.com. Not too sure abt that rumour though.

12. ivycrew707

@11…but it sucks b/c i dont bother to pay for cable….and my shitty internet provider(Brighthouse) won’t allow espn3.com, so it really stung to see that

13. Gama_888

i cant understand why xbox doesnt have a browser tbh
    microsft make the most successful, most noticable and most integrated browser yet for some reason they dont want to put that on their console?
    umad?

14. sg1974

Of course MS says that, BBC wont actually let them have it because MS only want to include it as part of a paid service which is against UK law (BBC is not permitted to charge for broadcast services because it benefits from a licence fee).

15. cookiejar

@13 Just as well they don’t to be frank. It would only be IE anyway :D

16. SunKing

1) Not that bothered about the lack of web browser on the 360, as I don’t think it would work very well. Besides, who doesn’t have access to the Internet in their home nowadays? It’s a superfluous edition.

2) Microsoft wants to charge for iPlayer; BBC can’t charge for it in the UK; hence, impasse.

3) PSP web browser is junk.