Square to bring more social experience to games

Thursday, 24th June 2010 17:10 GMT By Joe Anderson

Wada

Square Enix boss Yoichi Wada has said that every game the company develops in the future will incorporate “some element of multiplayer or social gaming”.

Speaking in an interview with Forbes, Wada said the company plans to bring its traditional single-player games, such as the Final Fantasy series, into the social fold.

To enable the company to embrace more social games, Wada said it will restructure and bring in a different type of developer.

“Frankly, the people who excelled at creating game software about 10 years ago, are really not good at making multiplayer games,” he told the magazine.

“We are striving to change the old culture, and as a part of such effort we are trying to bring in fresh blood.”

What this means for future single-players titles is anyone’s guess, whether it’s added multiplayer or something simpler such as Twitter notifications.

Via, Kotaku.

1. OlderGamer

In other words JP games stink and we can’t keep selling them in the west. So we need to make a change. What? What is this … O.N.L.I.N.E.? Please, you tell me now.

2. G1GAHURTZ

Good.

Single player gaming will soon die.

3. Erthazus

“In other words JP games stink and we can’t keep selling them ”

OG, bullshit. Mario sales are bad? FF sales are bad? DQ sales are bad? Pokemon sales are bad and e.t.c.

I still like Singleplayer and it won’t go away never.

4. Phoenixblight

Wrong. There are developers like Bioware who have stated time and time again that they know their fanbase prefers Single Player over MP.

5. daytripper

@4 long may it continue

6. G1GAHURTZ

They might want to, but are they going to be able to keep focusing on SP when MP focused games are shifting 20m units in less than a year, while they’re doing 2 or 3?

Developers might want to please their few dedicated official forum fans, but publishers might not be so keen.

7. daytripper

well FFXIV will certainly not be part of the social experience for xbox

8. Gadzooks!

This will come back to bite MS in the ass, I’m certain of it. Cryptic gave up on XBL, now SE.

I think as soon as a successful MMO launches on PS3 (most likely FFXIV – really looking forward to it too!) then MS will change their mind but it will be too late.

MS underestimate the power of MMO’s I think.

9. Phoenixblight

If that was true Giga developers like Bioware, Beth, etc would all be going for MP game yet they are not. Publishers only care if the game flops ie Alpha Protocol if it sells 2 million which is really good for a game especially a new IP, its a profit. Call of Duty number of course would be fantastic for publishers but no one shoots for those, they shoot for a profit atleast.

10. Gadzooks!

Oh yeah, SP games arent going anywhere. Look at Red Dead Redemption sales for confirmation.

11. Phoenixblight

Not sure if you know this but there is MP in Red Dead Rdemption. Not a good example.

12. DaMan

I assume at one point in the near future their jrpgs will completely go online. with single player side projects being on handhelds.

13. Phoenixblight

The Square games on DS have social aspect to it like in The World Ends with you, you can trade and buy items off others inventory and in FF3 there is a mailing system.

14. Erthazus

@11 It’s not a great multiplayer experience, compared to REALLY strong Multiplayer games.

@8 No, they don’t have problems with MMORPG’s. It’s just they want to make their own Internet hub so users can pay for stuff that MS give them. If Amazon for example will be on Xbox live, then part of money will go to MS and to Amazon if some user will pay for some stuff.
    It’s like owning the internet.

15. DaMan

Phoenix – I know, the online ones might as well go to handhelds.

I just believe we won’t see any of the traditional jrpgs like FF13 released anywhere except on handhelds.

16. Gadzooks!

I meant in response to #2. Sure its got an MP element but it’s primarily a SP game.

I agree with the article though, that MP elements are becoming more commonplace.

It’s not my personal preference though. I dont game online much anymore. Most important for me is local multiplayer.

Surely FFXIII sold well enough to secure a future on consoles? Well, that’s kinda rhetorical as Versus is coming out on a console.

17. DaMan

well, duh but I think it will happen in the near future. like 5 years from now I assume. I don’t think it covered their development cost that well, these games look less and less profitable .

besides after the critical reception this game got, it doesn’t look that well for the future installment now. you just have to look at it in perspective. I mean, they will probably develop something even less risky now.

18. OlderGamer

@Erth

One thing you and other might want to keep in mind is the difference between a general rule and the exception to it. Yes single player games still sell well. But MP games outsell them. Did SMG2 outsell CoD MW2? All i am saying is that it is best to not look at the polar extremes to spot trends.

Look at the shelf at the game store. Look at the top selling games at years end. Look at 11.5 million World of Warcraft players. However many millions of hours spent across CoD, Halo, Gears, UC2, KZ, LBP, Mag, MP Sports, Forza, NFS, and so on. Just look at the number of players and the sheer crazy amount of hours they spend online. From BattleNet, Steam, Live, PSN and more.

I just beat Alan Wake in 12 hours. My oldest son beat it in 9. Have any idea how many hows we each have in say WoW? I mean your a wow player aren’t you? The value we get from wow is insane. The value G1GA gets from MW2 is incredable. The value a gamer would get from Alan Wake is around 10hrs. That is 6usd/hr. Now I enjoyed the game. It was well done. But I think most gamers want that “Ok, I am done with SP, lets take this bad boy online now” type game. That is extra added value. In tough economic times, what is gonna sell well a 10hr game or one that has hundreds if not thousands of hours of play?

I think in that respect SP games have a hard time right now. Yes I picking and poking a bit, but my point is that for many reasons I feel like SP games need to sweeten the pot a bit. I think SQE understands this. Infact I aplaud SQE, and Capcom, and very few other JP game devs/pubs for understanding that things are changing. And more importantly for them, they should to in order to keep up.

SP aren’t in full death knell. Not even close. But those days of being a nerd in a dark room with your new game are fading. Now your friends play. And your friends, friends. And they want to play with you.

To continue to make the same cookie cutter games doesn’t make any sense. That is all SQE was saying. And I agree with them.

The thing is there games aren’t going to involve the same level of MP that many of us have come to expect. Look at White Knight Cron. To the JP THAT is MP. Could have been better imo. There games will be about hooking up in small numbers in pvt games. They will have some sort of collecting/trading elements in there. They will prolly still do the bulk of their stuff on a handheld. And MP will mean three PSP/DS systems linked wirelessly.

Also a side note. I played the other FF Online game. You guys know the one that is on the xb360 right now. It is horrible. If wow is a 9/10, then FF Online is about a 3/10.

What makes you folks think the next one will be any better? Because it is on the PS3? Makes no sense. It is a JP made FF. Online. Not going to be a big hit in the west.

If I am going to spend 15usd/month on a MMO. I am going to play Wow, not FF.

I think this gen the JP have come to relize that it truely is a global market. And as such they need to change a bit to be atractive to global tastes. But I also don’t think SP are going to out right go away. They just might be further and fewer between. Try finding a good 2D shooter. Or 2D sidescroler. They are out there, esp in a retro sort of way, but they don’t dominate the game charts anymore. SP in general will prolly be like that in the not so distant future.

19. Erthazus

“Did SMG2 outsell CoD MW2?”

Of course not, because SMG 2 is only on ONE console.

But did MW2 outsold on one console NSMBW? No.

“I mean your a wow player aren’t you? The value we get from wow is insane.”

Yes, i’m a WOW player and replay value is just insane. But you must understand that i’m more of a PVE player than PVP.
    For example i like RAIDS more then Player versus Player gameplay.
    Sure, Raids are social experience, but it’s also a singleplayer experience where you discover dungeon with monsters and don’t forget about the story.

+ If you will start playing any MMORPG game what you will do at the start? Yeap. You will start grinding monsters by yourself. Basically MMORPG is just a SOCIAL experience, but it’s not ONLY a multiplayer experience.

“If wow is a 9/10, then FF Online is about a 3/10.”

Ehm, they are both a little bit different. Final Fantasy Online is much more hardcore then World Of Warcraft because it uses Party like no other game use.
    Sure it’s worse then World Of warcraft, but now, FF14 can beat the crap out of it, or… NOT.

20. OlderGamer

Erth

I honestly don’t agree with ya bud. That is ok, no biggie.

But I do agree that when you first start the game you solo a bit to get used to the controls and learn how to play(MMORPGwise), but by the time I was level 4, I was in a group(WoW).

Personialy I don’t like raiding much. Ironicly because I fell it is too socialy demanding. Be here at this time, to do that run, must have this high Gears Score, play this role, and blagh blagh. I do like PVP over raiding, but in truth I enjoy grouping with friends/family and building through the lower levels untill we hit heroics. Then a few of us continue into ICC10. But it gets tedious at that point.

As far as your only one console idea, the Wii is the world wide lead console in terms of sales. More Wii owners out there then XB360 ones. Surely SMG 2 outsold MW2(on just xb360)? Doesn’t really matter either way. Like I said those are most likly the extreme ends of the spectrum.

21. Phoenixblight

Lots of grinding, lots and lots. Groups are pratically required throughout the entire game, lots of farming. You put the worst aspect of Vanilla WoW and then you multiply it by 10.

22. Erthazus

“but by the time I was level 4, I was in a group(WoW).”

But what you are doing? you are grinding and making quests. But together to level up FASTER.

“Personialy I don’t like raiding much. Ironicly because I fell it is too socialy demanding.”

different taste. But, you must understand that world Of Warcraft is more PVE than PVP and don’t forget that by Blizzard research, only 25% of gamers from all WOW are only PVP players, others trying RAID at least once in a while and more players play RAIDS.

While Lineage game is more of a PVP game than PVE, but it’s not that big like World Of Warcraft.

“Like I said those are most likly the extreme ends of the spectrum”

But it’s not just the only game. I think Donkey Kong and other have chance to sell really well. By the way, Final Fantasy game did pretty well. Some Multiplayer and West games dream about 4-5 million sales. You don’t agree? And it’s a Japanese game.

“Last I knew Halo was still the number selling game franchise of all time. Cod may have over taken it, or at least moved very close. But the point is Halo is a good example of SP and MP offerings. So is a CoD for that matter.”

Absolutely wrong! Just look at the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

2 games are Japanese and SINGLEPLAYER Only.

“Lastly, how do you quantify that FFO is more hardcore then WoW? I am not even sure that could be done. How do you meassure something like that? What do you mean hardcore?”

More challenging
    More grinding
    If you are not in the party than no way you will be able to have decent armor or weapons
    Harder

23. OlderGamer

Well the numbers r a scary thing I just took a look.

65+million for Wii Sports…is that even possible? Insane.

I was trying to look at the current systems, going back this and last generation. I don’t think its valid to look at Marios history. Did you see how many games mario has been in? Crazy. Plus for homw many years? But I slipped up and said all time, so its a fair arguement.

But again all is mute – take a look at Wii Game sales. Amazing. They have several games well over 20 million each.

Interesting tho, when we all talk about sales this or that almost no one ever mentions Nintendo as powerhouses. Prolly cause most of us don’t enjoy their games, but wow they move em off of the store shelves.

So far as SP games health goes … unless Nintendo stops making them they will remains healthy for a long time.

That doesn’t mean we will see more Heavy rain and Alen Wake over CoD and Halo. But you can bet yer butt we will see Zelda and Mario and Donkey Kong selling well into the forseable future.

As for your deffination of Hardcore? I have a better word: bad. No wonder I didn’t like FFOnline when I played it.

I also read a study that claimed that less 15% of the gamers playing wow Raided regulry. What they were seeing is that most players tinkered with end game and then moved on to building a new toon. Seems about right really. Even 25% pvp seems high.