Sega: No plans for new hardware,”We’re a software company”

Thursday, 17th June 2010 12:20 GMT By Joe Anderson

sega

Sega has said that they are a software company and will not be getting back into hardware anytime soon, despite rumours suggesting otherwise.

It was rumoured during the week that Sega may be looking to return to the hardware scene after signing a deal with a UK-based 3D hardware manufacturer.

However, Sega West president Mike Hayes laughed off the suggestions, telling CVG:

“Absolutely not. We’re a software company. We certainly won’t be getting back into hardware, that’s for sure.”

That seems to have it stamped on the head, then.

1. cookiejar

I’m glad.

1) They couldn’t afford it without shacking up with another company, and 2) I personally don’t think there is a need or desire for another hardware platform. Just make some great games SEGA, and make money, not lose it.

2. Blerk

They can barely manage software.

3. daytripper

the fall of the dreamcast was such a shame, i loved that console

4. Amored

Remember when David Jaffe said he wasn’t working on a new Twisted Metal? :P

5. DaMan

heh.

I’d love a new Sega console.

6. Gekidami

Why? They cant even make games anymore. The best game they’ve actully made this gen is probably Valkyria Chronicles, every other decent game is just published by them.

7. DaMan

MS can hardly make lots of decent games either.

although, I do agree they probably can’t afford it atm.

8. Amored

@Gekidami – Published and owned by SEGA. Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Sonic +++ If they were to make a new console they would have a great line-up of first-party-titles. They could even revive Shenmue.

9. Gekidami

I forgot about Yakuza. But Sonic? Really? They’ve all sucked.

10. Amored

So far yeah. But Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors rock, according to everybody who have tried them @ E3.

11. Gadzooks!

I’d love to see Sega bring out new hardware. They made huge innovations with the Dreamcast, and they would have a great first-party line-up.

12. Amored

@Gadzooks! Yessir! :)

13. Gheritt White

N…n…n…nnnnever gonna happen.

14. Bulk Slash

/Vader

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, I’d be happy with new Sega games on a re-issued Dreamcast. Sega don’t need a system more powerful than the Xbox 720, they just need to keep making stuff as creative as Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Crazy Taxi, and I’ll be there to buy it every time.

15. LordCancer

I will never get another skies of arcadia so I don’t really care. Sega doesn’t seem equipped to deliver epic rpgs/games anymore thats why Valkyrie chronicles 2 is on psp instead of a real platform.

As much as I loved sega platforms in the past, they can’t make money as a software company because they can’t make good games anymore. How the hell would they support a hardware platform?

I don’t think its necessary for them to put out hardware. Let them go out of business already. They ran there brand into the ground themselves. I was still buying games for the dreamcast when they abandon me again! fuck them! Die Sega DIE!

16. Gekidami

They also said that they plan to release 20 more DC games on PSN/XBL by next summer.

17. theevilaires

Thanks a lot Peter Moore :D

18. L.O.R.D

@Amored- you forget Bayonetta

19. DaMan

duhh, but Sega doesn’t own the rights to Bayonetta I think.

20. Catkiller

Would be great to have another competitor… I guess SEGA still has the brains of valuable quality! Why not to compete those Nintendo brainiacs?!?

21. Amored

@L.O.R.D – I know, but i didn’t add Bayonetta, as Sega doesn’t ow the rights to that IP. But sure, I think Shinji Mikami will stick to Sega :)