Rumour – Natal to be formally called “Wave” [Update]

Thursday, 27th May 2010 19:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

natal2

Microsoft is to officially announce “Wave” as the formal name of Project Natal at E3 in two-and-a-half weeks time, according to NowGamer.

A source close to the firm apparently told the site the announcement will be made at the motion tech’s special pre-E3 event on Sunday, June 13.

It comes as rumours emerged last night that the camera would cost $149 at release, which would be on October 26: the date would fall in line with the timeline given by an MS Saudi Arabia rep earlier this month.

A bundle with both the camera and an Xbox 360 Arcade is also set to drop on that date for $299.

Not much else was given in the NowGamer piece other than just the name.

We’ll email Microsoft on it, but don’t go expecting anything unusual if a coment is given.

Update: We told you so. Microsoft’s response to VG247 goes as this: “We do not comment on rumour or speculation.”

Surprise!

1. Tallon 4

So….you have to ‘wave’ to ‘move’? :)
    Or is it the other way around?
    I think Natal is better. Wave is kinda confusing

2. Johnny Cullen

“How long to take to compare name to PlayStation Move.”

Time: two minutes

3. Erthazus

Natal sounds better then Wave…

4. Tallon 4

@ Johnny Cullen: actually it was 1 minute but I type very slooooow :P

5. DeSpiritusBellum

Wave? Really? They couldn’t find anything gayer than that?

What about Microsoft Scented Unicorn?

6. Robo_1

If that is the name, then it does seem to me that both Sony and MS have got each others name by mistake, given that Wave seems more appropriate for Sony’s sticks and Move more aptly describes MS’s full body controller focus.

7. mescalineeyes

oh, just like the google thingy people never use! how apt!

8. kallaz

wave… hmmm i like pac-man better

9. AlmightyDogbert

If I was one of their slick marketing execs I would have called it the anti-cancer 4000. Or the grunt-master 9000.

Both seem better than wave.

10. AHA-Lambda

jesus why not have just kept natal MS is lazy enough to do it O_o

Wave is a terrible name!!

11. ybfelix

This reminds me I was sent a google wave invitation. Looked around and thought “What’s this supposed to be?”. So, how does it fare now?

12. The1stMJC

Do not like Wave. Natal sounded way better and next Gen. Either way pass on it all.

13. KKDragonLord

I’d call it Hal 9001
    just so people made memes about it being Over 9000!

14. g00nerz

The word ‘Natal’ just makes me think of big fat pregnant women. Microsoft could call it Microsoft Wank Stick and it would sound better to me.

15. KKDragonLord

Funny… it only makes me think of christmas

16. Johnny Cullen

MS response added. Nothing surprising.

@15 – Funnily enough, Natal is actually Portuguese for Christmas.

17. Dannybuoy

I’m sorry Dave I can’t do that… Wave isn’t a good name at all. Oh well good luck with that

18. sickpuppysoftware

Waving or drowning?

What’s wrong with pointamabob 3000?

19. Robster1979

Natal is named after the city in Brazil and pronounced “Na tarl”
    Fuck all to do with giving birth.

20. Blerk

And therein lies the problem. The non-gamers I’ve spoken to about it all pronounce is as ‘natal’ as in ‘antenatal’.

Wave is pretty much a non-name. It’s neither good nor bad. It does sound friendly though, which is probably what they were hoping for. Now all they need to do is find some way to deal with the thousands of soccer moms going in to GAME and asking for ‘one of those Wave things for my Wii’.