Bach: Natal is a “midlife kicker” for 360

Wednesday, 26th May 2010 09:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

natal2b1

Head of E&D at Microsoft Robbie Bach has told TechFlash that Natal is seen as a “midlife kicker” for Xbox 360.

Speaking in an interview with the site, a day after he and fellow Xbox chief J Allard announced they were to quit the company, Bach said it’d be a “holy grail” for the fact it can provide “a new experience for people without shipping a new console.”

“Well, I think initially it presents a great opportunity for us on Xbox,” he said. “You know, if you think we have, what, close to 40 million consoles in the world, and every one of those consoles can work with Natal. So, there’s a tremendous opportunity from a business perspective to produce a new experience for people without shipping a new console.

“I mean, that’s sort of the Holy Grail in many ways of the console world is how do you ship completely new game experiences without actually forcing everybody to start over again, and I think Natal certainly presents that opportunity.”

He went on to add: “So, for me it’s a jumpstart catalyst. It’s a midlife kicker for the 360, and it’s an opportunity to really drive that business in a dramatic way.”

Much more on Natal is expected to be announced at its special event at E3 in two-and-a-half weeks time on June 13.

Thanks, Gama.

1. SplatteredHouse

Maybe we’ll see a retooled version of that “midlife” quote, somewhere down the line :p

2. Tonka

Midlife kicker… as in a 40 something growing a pony tail and getting a gold ear ring.

3. Soong

Much as I love my PS3 and 360, both consoles are really beginning to show their age. Sure, games like Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption are beautiful and very impressive for what they achieve on the current consoles and all, but you know this gen has already gone on for so long. I want to see what next-generation consoles have to offer, I say bring on the PS4 and the Xbox720!

4. Blerk

I’m quite the opposite – the last thing gaming needs right now is even more shinies and unfamiliar tech to distract developers from actually making good games. I’d like to see us get another five years out of this generation.

5. pleasant_cabbage

I’m kinda split on the issue. I can see that games are being a little hampered with having to use this 4 1/2 yr old tech (tearing/framerate/resolution/storage issues, cut-down ai, physics compared to pc versions etc) but, at the same time, I agree with Blerk that new hardware could (somewhat paradoxically) hamper the production of really great games for a few years (just when this gen is really beginning to deliver on its promises). I’d probably like new hardware in 2 years time. Maybe. :)

6. Robo_1

I agree with the sentiment Blerk, but five years would really be too long for me. I’d be happy to see a winter 2012 release for both new MS and Sony consoles.

That said, I’d also like to see them be essentially much beefier versions of their current iterations, just with the specs bolstered across the board.

7. mington

I have found the solution!!!!

8. itsucks

what? you found a brain?

9. AHA-Lambda

It’s a midlife something thats for sure >_>