Red Dead tops UK chart, 360 SKU outsells PS3

Monday, 24th May 2010 10:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

reddeadred3

Red Dead Redemption’s topped the UK chart, making it the second all-format win for Take-Two this year after BioShock 2.

From Chart-Track:

Rockstar/Take 2 debut at No1 with the long-anticipated ‘Red Dead Redemption’ for 360/PS3. It is the second All Formats No1 this year for Take 2 (‘Bioshock 2’ made No1 in week 6, 2010) and the first Rockstar/Take 2 All Formats No1 since ‘GTA IV’ back in week 18, 2008.

Overall sales of ‘Red Dead Redemption’ are enough to rank No11 in terms of best ever weekly sales on this particular chart (9th best in terms of 360 titles, 11th best in terms of PS3 titles). EA’s ‘2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa’ (-25%) drops down to No2 after 3 weeks on top and Ubisoft actually climb one place to No3 with perennial favourite ‘Just Dance’ (-13%). Nintendo climb 5 places to No4 with ‘Wii Fit Plus’ (+20%).

Disney Interactive Studios debut at No5 with ‘Split/Second: Velocity’ for 360/PS3 and Ubisoft debut at No9 with multi-format ‘Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands’ – the film of the 2003/2004 videogame ‘Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time’ has also just been released at the box office. The last of this week’s new releases is Sony’s PS3/PSP ‘Modnation Racers’, debuting at No10.

CVG’s reporting that 65 percent of RDR copies sold were on 360.

1. Blerk

Hardly a surprising win, but a well-deserved one regardless – it’s superb!

2. The Hindle

There were stock shortages though so it might have been a lot closer if that hadnt happened.

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

I ain’t buying your shoddy ps3 port R* !

[goes back to playing the beautiful technical marvel that is Split/Second]

4. Razor

@2, can’t put that in a headline though.

5. Moonwalker1982

@ 3

I heard from some people who play it on PS3 that it really ain’t that bad at all. Sure if you’d put the two versions next to eachother you would see the differences, but if you just play it, you won’t notice a thing. If you have both systems then of course go for the 360 version, but if you only have a PS3. Don’t miss out on this just cause it’s slightly less impressive in performance and resolution compared to 360. Watch the comparison video, and sure you can spot the differences but it’s nothing groundbreaking.

6. cookiejar

@5 Yep its pretty identical, I’ve found no issues at all.
    I grabbed the PS3 copy over the 360 for a couple reasons myself. PS3 runs quieter and cooler than my 360 does, and if I’m gonna be hammering this game for hours on end (15 so far) then for me, the PS3 was the better choice to play it on.

7. ybfelix

Wasn’t there a ship sinking takes loads of PS3 copies with her? Or so I heard. God hates PS3!

8. Blerk

I hear Microsoft has a u-boat.

9. gerasimos

Guys ps3 version is very good.I have red dead redemption and is amazing.all the bad things that we heard were wrong,it was just a propaganda from 360 fanboys or i dont know.If u want to choose between ps3 and 360 go for ps3 version.If u want to believe me watch the comparison between 360 and ps3…..the ps3 vesion looks better!why because now ps3 is on hd tv.Do u still believe that rockstar did something like that…..the game is amazing for both consoles.

10. daytripper

went round to play my friends copy on his ps3, didnt really notice any difference between the two. once again an issue thats made to be more than what it really is.

11. Blerk

:-D

12. No_PUDding

For this game [Red Dead], I KIND of wish I had a 360.

At the same time, I dont mind the differences that much at all, I just mind that it’s ‘technically’ inferior’.

It actually looks a lot softer to me, specifically on the vegetation – which is nice. But as I say it IS technically inferior, and that thought will annoy me while aying.

13. mington

i managed to play about 15 mins on friday night (ps3)

whats the fps like, it didn’t feel very smooth to me

14. Erthazus

I like this game. The only thing that i don’t like that it’s not enough sub missions or events going on.
    You need to wait till event will appear.

15. StaceyEmerson

the lens of truth head 2 head of RDR is very good if you want to know which version

16. Moonwalker1982

@ 9

Not propaganda from anyone. GT and The lens of truth are 360 fanboys then? Come on. There are plenty of comparison screenshots and the videos show it too. You can clearly see that things are more crisp, it’s no big deal though.

17. OlderGamer

Just a fyi to PS3 owners I went to pick my son up from a bday party at his friends, he had a PS3 and Red Dead. Nothing wrong with the way it looks. It looked sharp, crisp and very nice.

If you want the game buy it, don’t frett over a couple of pixels.

18. Blerk

It would be interesting to see how the PS3′s framerate holds up like mington was asking – the 360 version has been surprisingly smooth for me, a hell of a lot better than GTA was.

19. Dannybuoy

Jees, does it matter if they differ slightly? Nope. Only fanboys will care. Does it matter that the game is excellent? Yes

20. cookiejar

The frame rate for me on the PS3 has been good, haven’t had any serious issues, definitely an improvement on some.

The only problem I’ve had was with the controls, which is pan console. It took me awhile to get used to them, especially slowing down a horse and slamming into someone. But that’s about it.

21. polygem

great game. even if you are not into gta. go for 360 if you can – if not the ps3 version will probably also be really good (haven´t tried). you gotta make decissions. if you always want to have the best version of a game you need both consoles and decide with every multiplat release for which platform you will get it. or you just relax and enjoy the games…

22. Blerk

Well that’s good to hear. It’s such an awesome game it’d have to be an epic disaster of a port before it could ruin it. PS3 owners absolutely shouldn’t hold off because of the smack-talk.

23. daytripper

@22 exactly. dont be like the neo gaf crowd

“oh there is two pixels missing from a tree on level 8 i’m not buying it”

i didnt notice any major framerate problems on the ps3 version, slight pop up when the horse is at breakneck speed but nothing to make you go “OMG WTF”.

24. No_PUDding

I shan’t Blerk, thanks for you wonderful words of wisdom!

Theres no tearing or framerate drops, from what I’ve heard, so….. Awesome!

25. lovemoose

If there’d been a bit more stock, it’d have been much higher.
    I had an hmv voucher to get rid of, and as there doesn’t seem to be anybody discounting it much, even online, I thought I’d pick it up there yesterday afternoon. They didn’t have it. Disappointed, and having half an hour to fill before the next bus, I had a wander around Walsall to see if anyone else had a copy.

No one had one – I tried Smyths Toys, Asda Living, Blockbuster (closing down soon, so understandable), Argos, Game, Gamestation, Asda Supermarket and Tesco. Someone really dropped the ball somewhere in the supply chain on this one.