BioWare’s Hudson: Mass Effect 3 will still have mining

Friday, 21st May 2010 12:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masseffect3

Mass Effect’s lead producer Casey Hudson has told Videogamer the mining mini-game that debuted in Mass Effect 2 will be kept for its sequel.

Speaking with the site in a post-mortem of the latest in the series, released back in January, he said that despite mixed feedback on it, which sees you scanning planets in the game for minerals and other stuff – which was essential if you needed to upgrade the Normandy – it will remain for Mass Effect 3.

When asked what would happen with it, he said: “No. Again, when you look at the feedback, there are things that people liked about it, and functionally it serves a purpose. I don’t think there’s a problem with any of those.

“I think it’s the way people relied on it, and the way we relied on it maybe too much in parts of the story. And also just when you think about the speed of it.”

On the feedback itself, he added: “The feedback we had prior to releasing the game was generally exactly that. It was like, ‘It’s strangely addictive. It’s kind of therapeutic’.

“But there were different personality types, too. And one of the personality types that we hadn’t encountered was there were a lot of people that when they know that they can go and get resources through something like that, they literally want to mine the entire galaxy that night.

The mining mini-game got an update just this week

Hudson revealed in the same interview that DLC for Mass Effect 2 will bridge the story gap between ME2 and Mass Effect 3, although it’ll be a while before they actually start talking about it properly.

The game’s development was announced back in March.

1. Erthazus

Great feature, almost finished my mouse that cost 150$

2. daytripper

i love bioware, one of my favourite devs of all time.

mass effect 2/3 dlc and mass 3 cant soon enough!

3. Spiral

My problem with the mining was that it got boring long before I collected the resources I needed to get the upgrades I discovered. Implying that people got bored because they tried to mine the galaxy is disingenuous when you gave them a new toy and told them they could only use it after they mined the galaxy.

4. ybfelix

@Spiral: and after making every planet mineable, even Uranus, and making default action for planets “scan”.

5. Keivz

Why do game companies find it necessary to include mundane activities?

6. Spiral

I think it’s the unholy combination of a genuinely fun 30 second minigame and being unable to tell when a horse has been flogged to death. Scanning for missions worked, you did your scan, got your reward and moved on. Mining was the same thing but longer and with a worse prize. It was 30 seconds of fun and 90 of being bored shitless, over and over again.

7. YoungZer0

Addictive? What the fuck are you smoking? Are you talking about the WoW Crowd here? Are you filtering feedback? Did you read some reviews? No normal gamer liked that shit. Give me the Mako back, i want to explore planets again. Seriously, although i did not enjoy the controls i did enjoy the exploration.

8. Bulk Slash

I think they should move the mining to the loading screens, giving the player something to do while waiting for the next section to load.

That way instead of the mining being an annoying task that the player feels forced to endure it becomes a welcome diversion that also benefits the player’s resources.

The other problem with the mining is that it’s a bit of a mindless grind. It doesn’t require any skill, you just hold down a button and a direction and wait for a spike in the graph. I think it should be re-worked to be more of a puzzle or skill based task.

9. YoungZer0

Funny thing about the loading. Did you know that although the game is loaded, you still have to sit through the loading-sequence?

There is a fix for that on the pc.

10. Bulk Slash

Yeah I’ve noticed that on PC, sometimes the next area will load instantly and sometimes it sits there for over a minute just showing the animation.

11. frostquake

The Ultimate Goal of the Mining Game, should have been Upgrade Slots that Once completely Upgraded it launched A Net Probe that Showed you where all the resources were, then you could have simply gone to each spot and launched a probe on the spot to find what you got. I found the Mining Game a HUGE deterrent in actually choosing between games to play. I actually forced myself to promise myself to scan at least 2 planets each time I played the game, now that turns fun into chore and ruins the game. There was no goal with the mining game/scanner. Would have been great too, to have a mission that sent you all over the Universe looking for that rare Alien Tech that allowed you to find a Mining Scanner that you could put together, but was in pieces on different planets…once assembled, you just launch the “Net Probe” that I mentioned up above and bam you know where everything is!