PS3 needs to be “open like a Mac”, says Valve

Thursday, 20th May 2010 14:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps3slim3

Valve boss Gabe Newell’s said in an interview with 5BY5TV that he’d like to see PS3 be “open like a Mac” instead of being “more closed like a Gamecube”.

His remarks come 24 hours after comments made by EA Partners boss David DeMartini, saying that EA’s port work on the PS3 version of The Orange Box was a “challenge situation”.

“Platform investments, like the Mac, are difficult because you have to be aware of what direction that platform is moving,” Newell said, referring to the firm’s recent move onto Mac with its titles and distribution service Steam.

“We need to target platforms that do a better job of looking like where we want to be in a few years.”

On PS3, he said: “We would love to see the PS3 be more open like a Mac than more closed like a Gamecube. It makes it easier to justify those investments if that were the case.”

So far, the firm’s avoided bringing its titles to the system, bar EA’s Orange Box port, deciding to handle on Xbox 360 and PC only.

Thanks, SCRAWL.

1. McLovin85

What sort of crap is this man talking about….?

2. Erthazus

I don’t understand what he is trying to say. I mean open like what?

*After that sentence went to play Split/Second*

3. OlderGamer

Seems there is more then he is saying about why Valve hasn’t done much for the PS3. The being opened/closed thing seems like a cop out to me.

If he had stated a diferent demo graphic then the PC/xbox crowd that would have been something I could have bought into.

But Consoles by their nature are a closed platform, so that just seems lame to say that.

4. mington

An open mac….? Is Gabe a flasher

5. Kerplunk

All consoles are closed systems. Its one of their defining characteristics.

I’m sure the timing of Valve opening their Steam doors to the Mac and making statements that’ll endear the smuggest of Mac fans to them is purely coincidental though. :)

6. V_Ben

But PS3 is a more open platform than 360, which makes his statement rather confusing. Hell, UT3 ps3 allowed for mods! I suppose a live interview can lead to people saying things that they haven’t put much thought behind :D

7. Gekidami

Wha…? I dont quite understand what he’s trying to say.

8. tont

Isn’t Gabe just saying: “we want to sell via Steam on PS3″?

9. Kalain

I think he’s trying to say: Anyone can program for the PC/Xbox/Mac, as the dev tools are freely available, where as the PS3 doesn’t have dev tools where the likes of us ordinary people can program for it.

10. theevilaires

You may be right tont :) but who cares what he says. Games like UC2,GOW3,GT5,Heavy Rain, and KillZone2 have proved this guy to be foolish with the things he says.

Still can’t believe this guy got up on stage in front of a bunch of people and declared Sony fucked up with the PS3 yet any game he has been involved with pales in comparison to Uncharted or God of War.

11. Razor

Yeah, coz Apple are all about the openness.

/rollseyes

12. sennasnit

Gabe is fatter than Jabba the Hutt

13. ExclusivesMostly

@10: I couldn’t agree more. This guy is insane.

14. YoungZer0

I think he needs to shut up and make a new Half-Life game.

15. Razor

“Games like UC2,GOW3,GT5,Heavy Rain, and KillZone2 have proved this guy to be foolish with the things he says. ”

But only after a 3 three wait.

16. Erthazus

@14 statement of the day.

17. Soong

CHALLENGE SITUATION HE SAID CHALLENGE SITUATION

NOT SOLUTION FFS.

Jeez, you copy-paste what he said in the other article and then misquote him the title. And now you make the same mistake in this article! What does ‘challenge solution’ even mean???

18. fdelfino

@10: you got to be kidding me… GOW3 better than any of the Half-Life games? GOW3 is just a gigantic QTE.

19. The Hindle

Like someone else has said he needs to focus on Half life. It makes me laugh that they originally were going to release the Half life episodes every few month.

20. Gadzooks!

I’m not fond of the trend of ‘developer celebrities’.

I have huge respect for game developers because they do what I do but times a thousand (I’m a humble web app developer), but they do not tend to be any good at PR.

Personally I’d rate the Halflife games very highly in my all-time top 10, but Gabe doesnt need to keep making these statements. Instead, as other have said, he needs to give us more Halflife!

21. mington

Yeah! Less pies, more halflife Gabe!!!

22. vincentw00t

@20 ‘developer celebrities’?

I think you mean devebrities.

It’s going to be a thing…

23. theevilaires

fdelfino you talk as if QTE’s happen every minute in GOW. QTE’s only happen during certain boss fights to make the game feel more epic. Its not over done to a point where you want to stop playing the game or get sleepy like Shenmue.

Plus how come you didn’t say anything about Uncharted 2? Valve has never made a game (and probably will never make a game this gen) better than UC2.

24. Alyx Hawk

Maybe Gabe wants an openess like this: http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/uploads/1217987587911.jpg

Via: PS3blog

25. Neolucifer

So an ex microsoft employee , and wich launched a digital service that was so restrictive than everyone hated it at first and only followed because of counterstrike , is making a stance for openness ? And while using the most closed and proprietary computer and mobile phone platforms so far as an exemple ?

Oh the irony …

26. reask

theevilaires said:

I hear what you are saying Tea and would not disagree on the exclusive front although I personally found KZ2 to be pretty under whelming in the graphics dept.
    But that’s another argument and certainly UC2 was a great looking game with excellent game play imo.

I just wonder are the big developers like valve and rockstar etc just saying well its handier to do this on the 360 and port it over.
    They know the sales will come any way so unlike the last gen Sony doesn’t have quite the pull this time.

Wether this will continue long term remains to be seen but I seem to remember last gen Sony told developers to get there head around the PS2 so they did where as this time they don’t really have to go to the bother.
    Not saying its right but more or less that’s the way it is.

27. Erthazus

@26 Problem is in the competition. Microsoft just released Xbox 360 one year earier, so of course all devs jumped on the next generation HD console.
    PS2 at it’s time had the same problem in development. It was still hard to develop for PS2.
    This generation we have split hardcore fanbase for 360 and PS3. We see bad 360 ports and PS3 ports all over the place.

What kills me, is that Rockstar promised this year to be really good for Ps3 owners. Well, they released Ballad of Gay Tony and e.t.c. and thats it? With shitty RDR 360 port?
    But Rockstar this generation has the worst engine, even if it is graphically very strong it is very friendly with 360 and not with PS3 or PC.

So, my question is: how they are going to develop Agent on PS3?
    I hope that they are reconstructing Rage engine specifically for PS3 because this will be hillarious to see Sub-HD thing with Agent.
    Or lets just be done with it and make it a multiplatform title.

PS: About Killzone 2. Stop talking about that shitty game with overrated graphical engine that looks like crap with green palette.
    Guerilla games were crap at PS2 era, they are crap even now, atleast multiplayer is OK.

28. Gadzooks!

Regardless of whether Gabe runs his mouth off when he shouldnt, you really dont want to get into a comparison war with Valve games.

Half-life 1 has sold more than all those listed PS3 exclusives combined and Half-life 2 more than any 3 combined.

I’m not commenting on quality as that is a purely subjective matter, but Valve make some stupendously popular and enduring games.

29. Erthazus

@28 starting flame wars again?
    First Half-Life sold just for 7.85m copies
    Half-Life 2 sold just 4.13m copies and 0.62 copies on the original Xbox that no one cared about.
    We see dramatically low sales for Valve games each generation.
    But still i love them. Half-Life 1-2 is the second best shooter franchise for me.

30. The Hindle

I do wonder why Valve are so stubborn when it comes to the Ps3, if they released L4d on it they could sell 1or 2m more copies. Thats a lot of money they are making, thier loss though.

31. Gadzooks!

1) I’m not flaming or stating opinion, just facts. Gabe’s business is as big as his belly so belittling Valve products is really not clever.

2) Use the total sales for all versions of HL1 and 2 in your comparisons. The figures are considerably higher than those you list, and even the portion you listed belittles most current gen sales figures.

32. The Hindle

GT 5 isnt out yet Gadzooks and its most likely to outsell any Half life game when it comes out.

33. Dralen

I read his comments several times and I just cannot grasp what he’s trying to imply.

34. bytemap

If I could try, I’m not a great interpreter, but I do believe I understand what he’s saying. Not perfectly, but a general idea.

Since Valve has been known to “snub” PS3 to many since they haven’t developed for them, EA came in for Orange Box to develop or port 360 games to PS3. EA Partners boss David DeMartini, mentioned it was “challenge solution” – i.e. –

Everyone knows Valve as a high quality game developer. They won’t settle on mediocrity, even if it costs them time. Better a quality product that everyone would love till time indefinite then a half-done attempt that people would like, but not LOVE. So, they have a higher standard when it comes to delivery and since EA couldn’t live up to their standard, it’s why we don’t see many ports of Valve games by EA.

Mainly this comes down to money and ethics. Sony is referred here as closed, because a lot their SDK consoles cost a lot just to develop or port, more so than 360 or PC combined. Second, by analyzing the sales of Orange Box on PS3, Valve was able to gauge how well would they would do investing time, money, and team development that could be spend on a guaranteed environment they’ve worked on (360 and PC) compared to a bigger investment on the PS3.

Now, times are changing as well as the price of the console and so the saturation of the market. So they have to consider as an option now if it is still viable for profit with development on the PS3.

Macs now support Intel architecture, as does the 360 and PC. That’s more “open” and “possibly accessible” than compared to the PS3, which “possibly” uses a different architecture. I’ve heard stories and read interviews regarding some high top secrecy with short cuts and proper development with PS3 games that are only maintained within 1st Party developers as compared to 3rd Party.

The “openness” could also mean that Valve are able to see where Apple is going 5, 10, 20 years from now. As an example, they’ve been invested in PC for a long time now and can tell how well it would be to continue development. PS3 though to them may seem not as a viable option because of the investment cost aren’t equal or less than what they would reap within profits.

They have to make a living and if the money isn’t coming in after all that time invested, a company can crumple. So since they hold themselves to a high standard, they want to hold others responsible of the same if their name is associated with them.

This could explain if everyone did that, we wouldn’t have so little great games, compared to the many mediocre games within the past years or so.

If any of this made sense, forgive me, I’ll try to re-explain. This is the longest post I’ve made and thank You.

35. DrDamn

These comments have a bit more weight to them now don’t they?