Sony adds in new, cheaper, more efficient PS3 graphics chip

Monday, 26th April 2010 12:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

rsx

Sony’s reportedly released a hardware update for PlayStation 3, adding in an improved, cheaper RSX graphics chip that makes the console less likely to be affected by YLOD and uses 15 percent less power.

As discovered by PSU (via Engadget), the move also means Sony is closer to the dream of making a profit on PS3 hardware.

The 45nm version of the RSX chip is in place of the original 65nm chip. It apparently uses two 128Mb XDR RAM chips instead of four 64Mb versions.

Sony hasn’t formally announced the new hardware SKU, codenamed CECH-2100A, yet.

Expect more on this soon.

1. cookiejar

Crap. I just bought a slim at the start of April too.

2. Erthazus

Damn… Thats really cool thing. 128Mb XDR RAM works better then standard 64 version, because they don’t need to compress the data over GPU DDR3

the question is: Why Nvidia didn’t do that at the start? Seriously.

3. Razor

Looking at the numbers by Digital Foundry, they’ve really got the power consumption down. Considering launch PS3′s used 200watts, getting it down to around 70w is pretty impressive.

4. A4-F8

the Answer is : 45nm

5. Dralen

Pfft, I still prefer my original PS3 with backwards compatibility. Shove that in the new ones and I may consider getting a slim.

6. Quiiick

Nice! Looking forward to replace my PS3-fatty (40GB EU) at the end of the year with this new PS3-slim. And If I’m lucky, there will be another price-drop by then. Say … €249.99 ?

7. cookiejar

@5 I thought the same, but in all honestly the Slim is much better. Cheaper, quieter and uses less power. Looks better too I think, my glossy Fat PS3 as fingerprint heaven.

BC would be nice, but I don’t remember the last time I played a PS2 title.

8. NoxNoctisUmbra

Yeah I just bought the Slim in April as well.. ugh .. oh well! Ill buy one with GT5 combo :)

9. theevilaires

Original 20 and 60 GB still FTW :D We’ll see about those YLOD problems though.