“We’re not trying to be innovative”, says SCII designer

Saturday, 24th April 2010 15:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

starcraftii21

StarCraft II designer Dustin Browder has replied to criticism over the game’s multiplayer not changing much since 1998, by basically stating that if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

Speaking with Gamasutra, Browder said that the team felt that the multiplayer mode of the game was high enough quality as it was, so there was no reason to tinker with it too much for the sequel.

“We’re not trying to be innovative,” he said. “We’re not trying to change for change’s sake. We’re just trying to make quality, and we definitely felt there were some things in the previous game that were high quality, that we weren’t super confident we could do much better.

“I don’t have a lot of enthusiasm to make Siege Tank 2.0. Siege Tank is good.

“It’s much the same for the guys who make Civilization or Team Fortress 2. They’re making iterative changes to a quality product to do something really, really great.”

Browder used the cover system found in the Dawn of War series as an example of how the team tried new things for SCII, but ultimately felt that it didn’t work well enough to be included.

“We tried a cover system frequently,” he said. “It prevented as much movement from happening on the battlefield, slowing the game down.

“Our game is about dancing: advance, retreat, advance, using the choke points — until, ‘Oh no! The enemy went air, the choke is useless!’ It’s about give and take. For our game, [cover] was a disaster.

“We think each game has its own style and flavor. Each game has its own strengths and weaknesses. What works for us would never work for a Dawn of War, and what works for Dawn of War would never work for us. They’re different games, and that’s how it should be.”

Browder  suggested that those wanting something entirely new should look at the single-player experience.

“For the guys who say, ‘I just need something new,’ we’ve created a whole solo play experience which we feel really scratches that itch,” he said. “It’s a brand-new experience.

“We have a very high-quality version of a non-linear experience in an RTS game, and we think that’s an area where players who are bored of [traditional] RTS will have a lot of fun.”

StarCraftII is expected sometime mid-year, and the first expansion, Heart of the Swarm containing a single-player campaign for the Zerg, is expected to be released 18-months post the core release.

Legacy of the Void, the expansion that focuses on the Protoss, is expected sometime during 2013.

Check out the single-player impressions round-up through
here.

1. Phoenixblight

Its pretty obvious they are not trying to be innovative. You play the game and its Star craft with updated graphics and more units.

As the saying goes ” If ain’t broke don’t fix it”

2. Boris Fett

Why try to change something that’s already perfect?

The original is as popular as it is for a reason.

3. Erthazus

@1 Actually you are absolutely WRONG and this is what will make Starcraft II suffer. Basically Starcraft II is Starcraft I in 3D and it’s not working very well if you ask me.
    As a Starcraft fanboy i can say to you that Starcraft I had beautiful sprite models and Starcraft II have not the best 3D models. They are really old compared to games like Company Of Heroes. where you can even make a cut scenes with in-game graphics.

And Blizzard is known for its innovation. If you remember Warcraft II and Warcraft III changes then you know what i’m talking about. Basically Starcraft II is a butt sex to Koreans. They will be pleased, but i’m as a gamer NOT be so pleased.

@2 People don’t want to play the same game. If you remember Warcraft II changes and Warcraft III changes. Warcraft II was perfect, but they made completely new game.

4. Phoenixblight

“Basically Starcraft II is Starcraft I in 3D ”

Thats what I practically said.

Actually the game is pretty crisp looking from the original. Have you played it?
    I am currently in Beta and I can tell you it looks better than SC1 but thats all it does. Its just updated eye candy.

5. Erthazus

@4 i’m playing Starcraft II beta since it’s launch. I have keys since Blizzcon.

And it’s the same Starcraft and graphics are outdated for years like 7 or 8. Did you ever played Company Of Heroes?

The thing is, that Starcraft II looks the same as Starcraft I. Thats dissapointing. It’s the same game. SAME.

Even Broodwar had more changes then Starcraft II.

6. DeSpiritusBellum

Considering that it’s one of the most popular online RTS games ever, I’d say sticking to the formula is probably not the stupidest thing you can do.

Either way, I’m gonna be the sane person here and say the only thing that matters to me is the finished product. Eventually it’s gonna have to prove itself.

7. Phoenixblight

No I never played Company of Heroes.

Blizzard’s main priority is obviously WoW, and I don’t blame them keep milking that cash Whale. They probably gave D3 and SC2 to new developing teams and they are just using what was done in the previous installments. Which is nothing to really complain about. It sells.

8. Erthazus

@7 Well, they actually make Starcraft II with original team and game looks really polished and crisp but its the same fucking game.

Diablo 3 on the other hand is freakin’ amazing. There are changes everywhere. Yes, it’s going to feel like the same Diablo 1-2, but the core mechanics are absolutely different. I played it at Blizzcon. Seriously, it’s freakin’ amazing. 1000 hours for this game for me confirmed.

@6 Well, it’s not the stupidest, but come on, they did this game for 12 fucking years. 12 YEARS and it’s the same. Even if it is optimized as hell, crisp, shiny, polished. Thats not a masterpiece, it’s going to be the same great game as Starcraft I.

9. Grimrita

RTS gaming has changed since the original. Infact, the entire gaming world has changed since then. This one isnt on my radar because its essentially an update of the same game.

There are so many better RTS games out there today – hell, even Universe at War is more worthy of a purchase than SC2

10. Phoenixblight

Actually you are mistaken, the designer is a guy who worked on various RTS games none of them Blizzard. The original Designer Christ Metzen is not working on SC2.

11. Erthazus

@10 Captain obvious. So he was a level designer? Programmer? Tester and e.t.c.

Obviously i’m talking about the team members. there are a lot of old members in SC2 team.

12. DeSpiritusBellum

I haven’t played the beta, so I can’t pitch in on what’s in it right now, but I haven’t seen anything from it that made me cringe.

Until Blizzard makes a game that’s anything but top shelf, I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at least. From what the guy says, it looks like they have been studying the modern RTS, and that they have tried some of its trappings and found them wanting. To me that’s how Blizzard has always worked, trial and error until they get it right.

I loved Dawn of War, but that’s pretty much the only arcade RTS since Red Alert 2 or indeed Starcraft that really managed to grab me.

13. Phoenixblight

The lead designer did 2 of Command and COnquer.

14. Hunam

Wait what?

Tell me just didn’t announce a game for 2013? That’s like Jetpacks and flying cars away.

15. ChaosSmurf

Just as an FYI, whoever was saying the game is exactly the same as SC1 is just plain wrong.

16. Erthazus

@15 Game is absolutely the same just in 3D. Prove me that i’m wrong.
    Yes, 40% more units. Thats it.

17. Aimless

So, other than having a whole swath of new units, balance changes and being a fully 3D game it’s the same? In other words, Erthazus, your position is, “If you discount all the things that have been changed nothing’s been changed!”

18. ChaosSmurf

What 17 said. It’s certainly a sequel, so yeah, other than the ridiculous number of minor changes/additions/reworks and all the new units, maps, map-mechanics, UI elements and online systems its not changed at all.

19. Erthazus

@17 @18 you played Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3?

There were not only more units and balance changes. There was an entire gameplay change and revolution in RTS. Not just 3D.

Starcraft: Broodwar had more changes in balance and in units then Starcraft II
    Starcraft II have green crystals – WOW !!!11 Such a map mechanics and few gameplay element twist that you can enable in SC1
    Gameplay changes because of 3D elements. Some stuff just don’t work in 3D that work in 2D. + 40% more units. Online system? You mean Battle.net that looks like Steam?

Thats 12 years? I remember Blizzcon and everybody who tried Starcraft II said the same thing: Starcraft 1 in 3D thats it!

20. ChaosSmurf

The crystals are yellow.

21. Phoenixblight

“Blue crystals are the regular type, found in most starting positions. Yellow crystals are Rich minerals, providing more minerals per trip”

No Green. Would look to see whats wrong with your monitor coloring. Or check to see if you are color blind.