Study: PS3 has highest percentage of Internet-connected users

Tuesday, 13th April 2010 04:38 GMT By Nathan Grayson

playstation_3_logo_041106

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which console has the most Internet-connected users of them all? Is it the Wii? No? Well then surely it’s the Xbox 360? Still no, huh?

Yep. It’s the PS3. In a study of 2,000 adult broadband users in the US, The Diffusion Group found that a whopping 78 percent of PS3 users take their console equivalent of a souped-up sports car for regular drives down the information superhighway.

The Xbox 360, meanwhile, lagged slightly behind with 73 percent of its users choosing to go online, while the Wii finished last with 54 percent.

Madness. How anyone could not be utterly smitten with Friend Codes is beyond our comprehension.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

Free is really the win factor here. I dont know why Xbox live still charges people for ONLINE PAY. They should do what PS3 will do soon, just Charge people for EXTRA stuff like cross chat, and other stuff and goodies, while ONLINE PLAY will be free for everyone.

2. Anthorne

Well if PS3 comes out with there own pay system soon, I dont think Xbox will change there’s at all. And $50 a year is not bad at all

3. Erthazus

@1 because M$$$$$$$$$$ makes money out of it.

@2 50$ is not bad to pay for the internet service? Really?

4. Dannybuoy

What’s the Internet?

5. The_Deleted

£40 a year isn’t too bad really.

6. Gekidami

Consoles connected online.

I assume their logic is that: “I dont pay for LIVE, therefore having my system connected is pointless”.

7. Galactic_Barret

I’ll take a guess and say its the highest because of the wi-fi adapter being built in.

Gaming in personal quarters is just as good as in the living room (sometimes, more comfortable) and when your router isn’t near it, the wi-fi comes in handy.

Thats my take on it, at least.

8. Gheritt White

£40 a year isn’t too bad… unless you look at it in terms of being able to have bought an additional game that year.

9. AHA-Lambda

exactly £40 a year is not alot in the grand scheme of things but its the principle of it. PSN is completely free but for largely the same thing XBL is not.

Plus yes that £40 could have gotten you more games aswell =/

10. absolutezero

£40 is not that bad until you look at both the other consoles and then the PC and realise that all three of them are free.

11. Len

£40?!?!?! Who pays that, £28 if you shop around.

And how ppl can moan about it at that price is hilarious, it’s a pittance. Which reminds me I need to go update my sub…

12. Anthorne

I love how people still complain about the xbox live sub but no one does anymore about the games going from $50 to $60

13. daytripper

i have no problem paying for Xbox Live, its a great service.

14. Bulk Slash

This isn’t just about playing games online, the study also includes people buying games, movies or DLC online as well. I would agree with Galactic_Barret’s assessment that it’s the built-in wi-fi adapter that makes it easy to go online with the PS3 whether for MP or other things.

The Wii has built-in wi-fi, but I would expect your typical Wii owner doesn’t know how to set it up. As for the 360, probably the price of the wi-fi adapter and the Live subscription put some people off. Either that or they’re busy staying offline to avoid getting their consoles banned. ;)

15. Retroid

Yup, that’ll be the work of the wifi adaptor being built-in.

I’ve got a few XBL friends on Silver too, they’re just prepared to wait a week for demos and are happy with online leaderboards rather than the whole playing online deal.

Their loss :)

16. Erthazus

It’s just ridiculous to pay for the service.

first of all you need to pay for the internet, then to pay for the subscription.
    I can have better service in my PC for FREE.

Soon we are going to pay for demo’s.