The core have “looked down their nose” at motion gaming, says Dille

Friday, 2nd April 2010 15:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Move 4

Peter Dille has revealed that Sony’s plan for Move is to offer a new and precise gaming experience to the hardcore and the casual alike, and that both ends of the gaming spectrum will benefit from it.

Speaking with the Financial Times following his M16 presentation yesterday, Dille believes that Move offers players something more than either offering from Wii or Microsoft.

“[With Move] we’ve spent a lot of time on that over the last couple of weeks and the biggest differentiator is the technology itself – the Wii has been wildly successful but at the end of the day it’s not a very precise experience and it relies on the wand.

“Microsoft’s approach appears to be no wand, no controller, just a camera, which means that your body’s the user interface. Our solution and point of differentiation is around precision, because we’ve got the camera – the Playstation Eye – and the motion controller which has the light at the tip, and the camera tracks the light very precisely in 3D space.

“The combination of that precision along with the button on the controller means that you’re now able to develop and play games that you can’t do with the Wii and Natal. That level of precision gives you different types of experiences like a [first-person] shooter and we can do casual games as well. So we’ll have family-friendly games like ping pong or archery, to games for young kids likeiPet , which is a very creative game. It’s a virtual pet you nurture and it comes out to play with you on your carpet using the Eye. You can give it commands, you can pet it and it will respond, you can give it tasks, it will fly a plane.

“We got a tremendous response to it from retailers we showed it to at Destination PlayStation.

“Hard-core gamers have looked down their nose at motion gaming: it’s not particularly satisfying for them because it’s not terribly precise or challenging, it’s more social. So we’ll have games that the whole family can play that are very social, but we’ll also be able to do hard-core gamer games via a motion device that has never been done before.

“It’s too early to say what the killer app or signature game is but we’ll continue through the spring and late summer before we make a decision on which game is the poster child or the best one to move the Move”.

During GDC, Sony showed loads of family-friendly games for Move, and also revealed that SOCOM 4, a game aimed at the core, would also have motion control implementation.

Move is expected to be released during the fall.

1. David

Sitting on a nice comfortable chair relaxing with a few drinks and a normal controller in my hand or Standing around in front of my tv screen waggling my arms about.

I know which one I would rather choose.

2. Superet

If they release a light gun peripheral for the Move wand and think that’ll satisfy the hardcore crowd, I’ll kill myself.

Well, maybe not kill myself, but at least continue looking down my nose at the technology. ¬_¬

3. Jedi Mind Tricks

Yup I agree, motion control is a novelty at best. I know the only time I really enjoy the Wii is when I am really High… but the other 95% of my life I want to sit on my comfy couch with a controller in my hand.

4. Erthazus

So they actually will have HARDCORE games for a Move device at E3 2010?

Lets see about that then.

5. Redh3lix

I dont quite understand where this negativity comes from regarding “core” gaming using motion controls. I reviewed a game (cant remember it’s name) for the Wii that was an on-rails shooter where you simply moved the crosshair and shot enemies. It was very fast, very accurate and I was sat comfortably on the sofa, not stood up prancing around etc.

I think it’s easily possible to accomodate core gamers with motion gaming myself. Tbh, from my experiences of the Wii alone, I know for a fact in a firefight I would be much faster and more accurate using motion than yourself using a pad.

6. Erthazus

@5 agree. I remember Sony’s Move announcement and the guy who played SOCOM 4. He what, standing around in front of a TV and waggling his arms?

Its just bad reputation about Wii like device. If sony will show good games at E3 2010 then everyone will just shut up and play games.

7. David

I wont, I dislike motion controls its not a question of accuracy for me its a question of comfort. Waggle or not a normal pad is more comfortable. I don’t need to point it at the screen.

8. Syrok

” I don’t need to point it at the screen.”

Yet still you probably do so most of the time. Unless you sit with your back to the TV. :)

9. David

and yet it doesn’t because its under my desk and its connected to my console also under my desk which is connected to my screen in front of me.

10. DeSpiritusBellum

The only thing that would make playing the Wii more annoying would be a Wii that required you to not only to flail your arms, but to do it like a pro.

Sounds completely ass backwards to me, and I kinda hope for his sake that the guy is lying. Unless he’s trying to bring in the casual crowd to his console by copying the Wii, he’s shit out of luck.

@5 You could (possibly more) easily do that with a firearm shaped peripheral as well, and the problem is that even if you do use it in an FPS, you’ll still have to coordinate moving the motion controller with some kind of pad or stick. Moving tends to be 50% of playing an FPS, so unless you want people applying themselves as towers and shooting at whatever comes along, it still isn’t an effecient solution.

11. LANKY

i like how he discribes it as haveing a light at the tip, it wud be more accurate to say it has a big ball at one end that lights up.

12. 2plus2equals5

He presented a machine gun?:D