Greenberg: Web browsing on the telly is a “poor experience”

Wednesday, 31st March 2010 18:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbox360logo

Aaron Greenberg has revealed in the latest issue of Edge magazine that Xbox 360 will never be updated with a web browser.

The reason, he says, is because surfing the internet on a television set makes for a “poor experience”.

“We really believe that the web browsing experience on TV is a poor one, and the real magic is to take those web experiences and optimized them for the living room,” he said.

“That’s what we did with Netflix. So, sure, you can go on the PS3 and go to Facebook and and try to navigate, but it’s an absolute nightmare.

“No disrespect, there’s things I love about the PS3, but that’s not one of them. We want the online experience to be fun and optimized for the living room, and we’ll continue to add more applications to get more richness”.

It’s anyone’s guess what else Microsoft has in the pipeline, especially regarding more features and updates, but right now it seems more focused on releasing Natal, which Greenberg says will “surprise” consumers and E3 will demonstrate its universal appeal.

Via CVG.

1. cookiejar

Thank god. It would only be IE, anyway.

2. Razor

That doesn’t really jibe with Steve Ballmer’s idea that the internet and TV are converging.

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

PS3 with all patches kinda fix their browser, but they could still do way better job.. But who really uses it anyways? I agree, its bit pointless to browse the web on the TELE. Just use normal PC. Because they really should do it just like PC, having HD movies on youtube, streaming other webmistress and flash player would be a win. But if that does not work, just leve it be and wait for Xbox 3.

4. Baseman

5. Erthazus

Aaron Greenberg trying to be an idiot?
    Internet browser is just an option and if you will buy LOGITECH PS3 bluetooth keyboard. Its not going to be a problem, but really…

I agree with NoxNoctisUmbra that they should work with Internet browser that console offer it has a great potential.

6. Bulk Slash

Browsing on any kind of screen is a “poor experience” when it’s using Internet Exploder.

7. Eregol

Doesn’t really say much for Natal if they feel they can’t do a web browser interface to work with the hands free system.

8. get2sammyb

I actually use the PS3s web browser all the time because it’s quicker to turn on a PS3 than a PC. I therefore WISH they’d do a better job with the PS3s web browser. Get Google to make it or something.

Either way, Greenberg does have a point, but for me personally, if I just want some quick gaming/sports news in between a session on the PS3, I ALWAYS load up the PS3 browser.

I appreciate I’m in the minority though, and I do appreciate what Greenberg’s saying here.

9. SlayerGT

VG247 is my home page on my PS3. Get my fix every time I boot up. Goes hand in hand with my gaming =)

10. bugmenot

A valid point partially,
    The only thing i use PS3 browser for is downloading vids, which only works on a certain sites, its a functional browser at best, clumsy with a dualshock, might be great with Move. Its certainly better than nothing, browsing on a phone is also a “poor experience” but i’d rather have it than not have it. MS and Sony and Ninty should develop apps that provide streamlined/optimised access to important sites like MS have done with Facebook, Last.fm and sony/nintendo has done with Iplayer. Using Iplayer from XMB is so much more slicker than going into the web browser, loading your bookmark and then resizing your screen. apps is the way more than a browser its just slicker that way.

11. Drycell04

I guess he would say that since microsoft’s own webtv was the same thing.

12. Stephany Nunneley

@6 :-D

13. psxman

If I weren’t at work, I’d be browsing this on my TV. Just so happens I have my PC attached to it as the default screen in the house.

14. revsoul

@8,
    I don’t think you’re in a minority b/c many PS3 users use their browsers very often.

I use mine ALL the time, like right now. I even change my Netflix Queue on my PS3, it beats running to the office computer to do it.

Yeah some things don’t work as well as a computer but it’s NOT a nightmare.

Greenberg just gave a cop-out comment about browsing. It’s ridiculous to not have at least some web browsing functionality on your “next-gen” system.

Everybody just ask themselves this… If Sony removed the Internet Browser would you be upset? HECK YEAH!

15. Rhythm

Greenberg’s clearly being a dimwit who’s going to the wrong sites. Sure, Wikipedia and Hotmail might not be fun to use, but Google Reader Play and Youtube XL (to name but two) are a pleasure to browse (even with the bluetooth remote) and being able to access Youtube.com/shows (all the UK TV catchup channels in one place) through your telly on a device that takes less than 30 seconds to get from “off” to “browsing” is a fucking dream.

16. Galactic_Barret

I use my browser daily. Youtube, movies, music; Works for what I need it to. Certainly, it could be loads better, but applying the Valve mindset to applications is foolish.

Also, KB/M: The PS3 supports them and they work (Beautifully. Press the Logitech button. It takes you to the XMB!).

17. sg1974

This, from the company who told us the internet was “just a temporary fad”.

18. xino

wtf? he’s trying to diss the ps3′s web browser:/

he got it all wrong!

just because you can browse with it doesn’t mean it’s a full browser. What if you want to find out whats wrong with your game and you search for answers online?
    what if you want to search for a quick cheat?

19. DarkElfa

I use my TV as my PC monitor so therefor I browse the web on my TV and its just fine.

20. mojo

“So, sure, you can go on the PS3 and go to Facebook and and try to navigate, but it’s an absolute nightmare.”

someone tell him of “Move”.

21. FeaturePreacher

And here we have Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot. It almost seems as though they want silverlight to fail. Here they have a platform with millions of users who could experience how much better silverlight supposedly is over flash, and they want to squander it.

22. Blerk

I agree, it is a poor experience compared to a computer. But it can also be a much more convenient experience – they should at least give us the option.

23. rraa

i like cartoon very much, and thank u for the intresting you bring to us.

i like your blog very much.

ghd