Just Cause 2: No plans for co-op DLC, says Avalanche

Saturday, 27th March 2010 16:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

justcause22

Magnus Nedfors, game director for Just Cause 2, has revealed that Avalanche doesn’t plan on releasing DLC that includes co-op for the just released sandbox game.

Speaking in a reader Q&A over on Eurogamer, Nedfors said that the developers wanted it to be a single-player only affair from the beginning, but a future installment may include multiplayer.

“There is no current plan for DLC allowing co-op gameplay,” he said. “I’m sorry. We opted from the beginning to make a single-player game. Adding multiplayer would have meant limits on what we could achieve.

“I personally – not the company – think single-player games are great fun and there is an audience for that. A game can be good without multiplayer support.

“Somewhere in the future it would be really fun to do a Just Cause multiplayer game, and we’ve had lots of good ideas for it”.

Earlier this month, the game’s lead designer Peter Johansson told the site that the team was going to “have some fun with DLC”, but he couldn’t go into specifics on it at the time.

Just Cause 2 was released into the wild this week, with generally positive reviews, and a very nice Easter Egg.

1. Erthazus

Finished the game 2 hours ago (Played 19 hours and 21 minutes overall) and what can i say: Nothing special about it, except if you want to screw around like an idiot blowing stuff and making chaos everywhere maybe its for you.
    Story, cut-scenes and dialogs are at kindergarten level or racist shit that no one cares about.

The only thing that i liked – Graphics and physics. I played JC2 on my PC and the level of Water is only better in Crysis. Water Direct X 10 effects just freakin’ awesome.

I recommend to play this game on PC because sandbox games plays better on PC (as much as you love consoles thats true) and graphics. There are a lot of graphic options. From SSAO to 2 Water Effects (direct X10 videocard required)

I don’t see what DLC can bring Avalanche to Just Cause 2. More vehicles?

2. Enkeixpress

Erthazus, I really do hate your kind in gaming.. You & other people simply go out & buy the game just to rush through & complete it without seeing anything that the game offers in terms of it’s huge world & all of the side-missions, locations & other stuff.

The game has over 100hrs of gameplay! .. maybe even more then that if you had taken your time & explored everything the game has to offer.. especially with the PS3′s YouTube video upload feature, you could have alot of fun with that.

What am I trying to say here is that the game wasn’t built for the main missions alone.. it’s not a linear experience at all. From what I’ve read of your post, You’ve seemed to have treated the game like God of War 3.. Finished & then done with it.

What are you going to do now that you’ve completed it, huh? … Return it? I thought so. :(

3. Phoenixblight

Fallout 3 had 100 hours of gameplay but who really likes explore a dead world that offer nothing to the actual game. Hours in gameplay mean nothing if there is no substance.

4. Moonwalker1982

I put more than 120 hours in Fallout 3 and loved every minute of it. For me it had plenty to offer. Along with GTA games this is the only game i can play through the whole damn night and almost forgot to get some sleep…or simply don’t want to take any sleep cause the game’s too damn good.

And hell no that sandbox games play better on PC. Not in my book, not on my laptop anyway. 360 controller over PC mouse and keyboard anyday in my book really.

5. Filofax

@Erthazus
    “I recommend to play this game on PC because sandbox games plays better on PC”, that’s just your opinion not fact.
    And I don’t think they were pushing it as some kind of gaming equivalent of a literary classic.

6. Phoenixblight

Good for you. I played FFX for 120 hours but thats because I was messing with Alchemy, upgrading system, and master the monster hunter sidequest.

Fallout 3 got really boring once you get to 20, you were practically a walking God and destroy anything in your way. Exploration for me is not fun unless it offers something of a challenge.

7. Erthazus

@2 i agree with what you are saying. I love to explore land and stuff.

Thats why sandbox game like Infamous on my PS3 have platinum trophy. I played it two times and finished it with 100%

But Just Cause 2 is not that kind of game where you can easily put 100 hours of gameplay. Without substance there is not much to do. Its not that great.