Bleszinski finds new motion controls “very interesting”

Tuesday, 16th March 2010 20:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

cliffyb

Epic’s Cliff Bleszinsk has said that he finds motion controls to be very interesting, and seems to like Natal the most.

Speaking with IGN at GDC, Cliff chatting about what he specifically likes, and what he thinks would be a good thing to implement.

“I find motion controls to be very interesting, very compelling,” said Cliff. “The ones I personally like the most are the ones that are Natal-like, where I don’t have to have yet another plastic controller cluttering up my coffee table. Just fire it up, and do very, very cool movements with interesting results.

“The kind of game that I think would be most interesting is a hybrid, maybe something where I’m playing with a controller and then your significant other can sit on the sofa and do hand gesture-based things, and the two characters kind of interact that way so it’s kind of bringing the hardcore and the casual together in a compelling fashion”.

Stating that he thinks “Natal is going to be very big”, Cliff said that Microsoft is using Epic’s technology in a number of projects it’s making for the controller – which reiterates what Mark Rein told us at GDC.

Thanks, NowGamer.

1. justiceblob

for some reason when he was talking about the hybrid game, I imagined the cel-shaped PoP… Someone using a controller as the prince, and some one else casting spells as that assistant woman… *brain stops functioning*

2. Robo_1

Cliffy B on message as usual.

3. Eregol

Gotta love it when Cliffy B picks up his MS flavoured pay packets.

4. Aperson

I would be #### awesome to instead to press b to punch someone in the face you could just hit the dam air to hit someone in the #### face

5. polygem

they are good business partners with ms…so what else can he say? but i agree. the last thing i want is more plastic crap lying around…don´t want two move controllers, a nunchuck and a ps eye…the natal solution really seems to be more elegant. i´m not hyped about that motion gaming thing at all…but as an addition for some game interactions natal could turn out to work quite well…hey ms: i want to be able to scan my tats and put em on my avatar!

6. Eon

I think his point about bringing casual and hardcore together on games is very interesting. I haven’t really thought of that possibility before, it would make it easier to play certain games with my 10 year old neice or my younger nephew as neither are that interested in getting to grips with the 360 pad.

I don’t see why everyone needs to make comments on what he chose or what he’s biased towards either. It’s not really harming anyone and at the same time he provides some solid points. Chillax!

7. ivycrew707

ummmmmm….sounds as gay as he looks

8. subversus

I think it’s a cool idea

9. Gheritt White

Natal is a heap of shit – period.

10. TheWulf

Is it just me or does that photograph say “DURRRRRRR HUR HUR HUR HIC HURRRRRR”?

VG247, you pick the most amazing photographs of people. The man looks like he’s had a lobotomy.

11. DaMan

yeah, great photo really :/

12. TheWulf

I think it’s kind of funny, and I hope they continue to do it with everyone in the industry, regardless of their position. Well, except the indie people.

The reason I say this is because they have so much money that they don’t really need to care if we enjoy a little schadenfreude.

13. BC

I guess I find this news story rather underwhelming. I’m wondering why it’s newsworthy. Maybe if this was “Tiger Beat” magazine and we were a bunch of girls who thought Cliff was “oh so dreamy” and we just have to know what he thinks about. Sorry for the negativity; it’s just that hearing a few sentences about what Cliff thinks about motion controls doesn’t seem very noteworthy.

14. Michael O’Connor

I just considered something about the PS3 motion controller that would actually be very beneficial for the industry in general, especially for third party developers.

The Wii, despite its high amount of shovelware, has some great “core” games that unfortunately end up selling really badly.

With the PlayStation Move, we could see some of these great titles come to the PS3. Imagine MadWorld in high definition?! Hell yeah I’d buy that.

That can only be beneficial, for consumers and developers alike. More profit for the developers because the games are appearing on a console with an already established user-base of core gamers, and more choice for the consumer, which is *never* a bad thing.

15. Galactic_Barret

Thats what I’ve wanted since Arc was announced: Precise, HD Wii ports, along with cool new games made by SCE’s studios. Madworld could be cool (With 3D!), it looks perfect for NMH. Thats really all I want.

16. frod

17. Galactic_Barret

NMH HD is already being made. Honestly, I have no idea why gamers put so much emphasis on sales. Especially with these games, can’t really go anywhere but up.

18. Michael O’Connor

(What, nobody is having a heart-attack because I’m not bashing Sony, but complimenting their ideas? You guys disappoint me!)

“It’s a mistake to assume that games like Madworld and NMH would sell better or make more money just because they were in HD.

Given the costs involved with HD asset production it’s quite possibly that they’d make much less money.”

True to a point, but the game would have looked just as good with a simple resolution increase, thanks to its distinctive art-style. I think it *would* have done better had it debuted on one of the core gaming consoles.

And No More Heroes in HD was something I wanted like mad since the day I played the original Wii game. I’m ecstatic about the fact that it’s finally happening.

It’s blatantly obvious from the Wii that it is perfectly possible to make core games using that kind of control scheme. What saddened me about the GDC conference is the lack of footage showing that there are developers and core games that are willing to.

19. Galactic_Barret

Nah, people know you’re a good guy. A little prickly, but thats what we like about you. ^.^b

20. Michael O’Connor

A *litte* prickly? More like very.

21. ianbenoir

Mad World HD would Be FANTASTIC!

22. ianbenoir

cliffy cliffy… smack!

23. Michael O’Connor

“Mad World HD would Be FANTASTIC!”

Or even Okami in HD with motion control… *drool*