Bodycount’s crates are “fucking operas,” says Black – new shots

Monday, 15th March 2010 18:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bodycount2

Bodycount’s Stuart Black believes boxes can sing, or something. He may be mental, but at least he’s good at swearing.

“It’s all about the story of the player’s experience,” the developer told IGN. “How do you take something like a wooden box and turn it into a three act epic story?

“It’s difficult, but when you play our game you’ll see that our boxes are fucking operas.”

The opera bit is apparently due to the way boxes in Bodycount, Codemasters Guildford’s first game, disintegrate. The same level of destructibility is lent to most objects in the game, according to that piece.

The game follows a man killing people for “The Network”. Sounds like a bit of an excuse for a lot of shooting, but what the hey.

There are some new screens through there. There’s no date.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not expecting much from this game.

Codies don’t exactly have the best track record in the world when it comes to FPS’s.

2. AHA-Lambda

MY GOD DAY ONE BUY!!!

I can see the back of the box now: “The most immersive and explosive box destroying simulator you’ll ever play!” 8O

3. AiZeN SaMa

This is the best game ever .

It was ausem on ps2 and I expect it on ps3 to rock FPS

cant wait to buy it….

4. reask

Is this black under another name?
    If so count me in.

5. Droid

Obviously they havent tried out bfbc2 yet. Might be an idea for them to shelve this project under “doomed to fail before even published”. After the fiasco that was opflash:dragon rising (that I stupidly pre-ordered) I can safely say I’m not buying another fps from codemasters. Unfortunately companies don’t learn from experience.

6. polygem

there´s a hands-on preview on ign…they seem to be pretty impressed…s.black is a fan of bfbc2 but he said it´s cool with the destructability there but they had to spend some horsepower in vehicles and all the other cool stuff in bfbc2. bodycount spent all the power in the destructability, so it will have even more crazy destruction…i love bfbc2 but this will be a completely different game. it looks promising in my opinion…

7. TheWulf

@Droid

I strongly disagree with that opinion.

There are some that seem like they’ll never learn, but there are others which have learned from past mistakes, a couple of which have gone on to become paragons.

As an example of a company that’s learned from past mistakes, I’d cite Electronic Arts. People told them that they were being evil and not at all innovative, they learned from that, they embraced better business practises and more innovative games, they published Mirror’s Edge, after all. And with Mass Effect 2 they’re offering free post-purchase support to customers. That approach is the best way to counteract piracy, simply supporting a game post-purchase and making the purchase look worthwhile.

As an example of a company that’s a paragon of their field would be Valve, what mistakes Valve made they learned well from, and went on to forge the most widely loved and respected development house that gaming has ever known, simply because they treat their customers with respect, even when they’re not at all deserving of that respect (L4D2 boycott, anyone?).

So I’m willing to give Codies the benefit of the doubt. This is a new studio, a new game, and it might be all right. I certainly won’t buy it off the bat, but I’ll be keeping an eye on reviews and opinions, that’s for sure.

8. Droid

@TheWulf

Well I respect your opinion but I usually look at it the other way and see what they have to gain because they’re usually in it for profit. The only reason they put in the “post-purchase support” was to get better sales from the get-go, as they were trying to reduce the amount of pre-owned games being sold in stores or traded online. This shows especially with the fact that you have to pay a special fee if you buy a pre-owned game to be able to play it once it has been registered online already (new EA games).

I’ve been around a long time, showing the age here a bit but oh well, but in general most companies will hit and run with games.

I’m not saying codemasters don’t make some good games, Dirt 2 was great, but they didn’t listen to the community at all when making opflash:dragon rising, no matter how much they said they did. And it showed.