Rumour – New DS set to be announced at E3, due for release later this year

Saturday, 13th March 2010 18:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

nintendods

According to this, several developers working on the next-gen DS have said at GDC it could be announced at E3, with a release later this year.

The article also cites that development kits for it are similar to those for GameCube and Wii, with the Nvidia Tegra chip set to be included as its CPU/GPU compared to ATI’s CPU chips for GameCube and Wii.

It also backs up rumours that it has motion controls in some form with an accelerometer. Last month, it was rumoured it would have the controls in a similar form to iPhone.

Back in January, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata hinted the next DS would have motion controls before retracting any comments made from him to a Japanese newspaper.

Shigeru Miyamoto’s already confirmed new hardware is on the way, though.

Thanks, Game Informer.

1. Alakratt

Another DS? SHOCKER!!!

2. Michael O’Connor

@1 I think they mean an entirely new handheld, not just a revision of the existing console.

3. pheaton360

Tegra 2 PLEASE!!!

4. Zonejeu

Is it actually useful to have a new DS ? I mean the DSi XL just went out in Europe, they could easily sell 100 million more DS and plenty more games without having to propose a brand new handheld…

With the PSP being out the only real competitor to the DS is the iPhone, which is definitely a product directed to a different public (DS aiming at teens and pre-teens while the iPhone is mainly a device for adults).

5. Gekidami

Sure why not, its been about 5 or 6 years now since the PSP and DS came out. I’d say thats an exceptable amount of time for portables, time for the next batch!

6. hitnrun

Nintendo’s come out with another Gameboy (or now, DS) model every two years since 1996. Pocket, Color, Advance, SP, DS, Lite, DSi. I’m not even counting sidenote and promo stuff like the XL.

I understand why people keeping buying them, I guess, I just don’t see why they act like they’re buying a state of the art piece of hardware that’s going to last longer than 18 months. Especially since 2005 when Nintendo adopted the plan of cutting backward compatibility as fast as possible so they can charge us for the games again.

7. Gekidami

“I understand why people keeping buying them”

I dont, especially in Japan where -based off sales figures- it looks like everyone INSTANTLY upgrades their DS’ when a new model comes out.

8. Blerk

I think the most interesting thing about this rumour is the “two screens, negligible gap” thing. That would mean you could turn it sideways and have one big screen that was much easier on the eye if you didn’t actually need the second screen for anything.

9. Bulk Slash

I’m actually surprised it still has two screens, I think the current DS has occasionally utilised both screens well, but I think more often than not it’s just been relegated to a stats or map screen that isn’t very integral to the gameplay. I think I always assumed the next DS would be more like an iPhone with one large screen.

I hope it’s not too similar to the GameCube hardware, as that would allow Nintendo to port old GameCube games to yet another platform…

10. JonFE

I’ve been tempted to get an XL for me this summer (to use over the summer holidays without my son breathing down my neck) but if there’s a new one coming before Christmas I will wait for that…

It’s June 15-17, right?

11. MushroomStamp

23 versions of DS, whats another 11! I have 0 use for any. I do not like 2 separate screens.

12. TheWulf

To those who think it’s an entirely new console: It isn’t. It’s a remix of the DSi, better battery life, bigger screens, that species of kidney. It’s basically just DSi+.

I don’t know where console gamers get the money for this stuff… and they must sell, otherwise N wouldn’t keep making them. Just as Microsoft seemed to put together a console with a built in obsolescence date, which also seems to be true of Sony’s plastic box now as well.

PC gaming is looking cheap by comparison. >_>