Newell on PC DRM: “avoid” pitfalls because they’re “negative”

Friday, 12th March 2010 14:29 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gabenewell

Some plain speaking on the subject of DRM at GDC yesterday saw Valve boss Gabe Newell say restrictive policies are counter-intuitive.

“One thing that you hear us talk a lot about is entertainment as a service,” he said. “It’s an attitude that says ‘what have I done for my customers today?’

“It informs all the decisions we make, and once you get into that mindset it helps you avoid things like some of the Digital Rights Management problems that actually make your entertainment products worth less by wrapping those negatives around them.”

According to Develop, Newell’s comments were greeted with cheers.

Ubisoft has become the latest company to fall foul of community rage over DRM, delivering a system alongside the PC versions of Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 that demands the user maintain a solid internet connection at all times – or risk being cut out of the game.

Valve uses its proprietary Steam format to deliver its PC products.

1. blackdreamhunk

dam look at his monitor that is so cool. I agree with him on this one. I love vavle he’s a game dev that really under stands pc gamers.

2. Erthazus

Gabe i love you. (except bashing the PS3.)

3. blackdreamhunk

well he’s right consoles suck, the only reason gabe likes the 360 is because it has a better online system. I am sure of the ps3 was more like a computer you would have seen more games on the ps3.

why don’t the goverments use asholon to get them pirates

maybe the perfect salution here hehehe

4. Ghost_Dog

What if the PS3 was more like a cake?

5. CroMagnon

Listen to the fat man, Ubisoft!

6. blackdreamhunk

leave vavle alone, he’s cool. You know all the bestand beloved game devs under stand their fan base. for exmaple Vavle,blizzard,arneaanet(anet),bio-ware,dice and I could name a few other ones.

7. NiceFellow

He’s spot on, I like his rig, and as ever I’m very concerned for the welfare of his heart…

8. endgame

fuck yeah Mr. Newell! :D

9. _S_E_R_G_

go Gabe go :)

10. Johnny Cullen

That’s all well and good, Gabe, but I’m placing you on “the list”.

You’re not coming off until I get Episode Three shown.

11. blackdreamhunk

mircosoft and sony plus the gaming media would love to destory pc gaming. I mean they say pc gaming is dying every year lol

good viedo here, yea ubisoft could learn a thing or 2 from the gaming industry elites

12. absolutezero

Gabe in speaking sense shocker.

13. DJ Deathstar

Fucking hell Gabe wanna sit any closer to that bloody monitor, its probally burning his retinas

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

DAMN – that monitor makes Gabe look small! lol

15. MushroomStamp

I do my pc gaming on a 54″ Samsung :) but I don’t sit that close. I use a controller from the couch.

16. Joe_Gamer

Is he playing… WoW?

17. Michael O’Connor

“Is he playing… WoW?”

Yes he is. Quite a few people do.