Edge gives FFXIII a 5

Friday, 5th March 2010 12:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii4

That FFXIII 10 from GamesRadar? That’s now been canceled out. With a five. From Edge.

Here’s a snip:

Some people don’t like numbers, but try this little sum. If you submit 25 hours of your life to a misjudged series of linear battles and cutscenes, Square Enix lets you play FFXIII, and you’ll get 25 decent hours out of it. It’s an equation that might just balance out – but for who? Well, the fanbase, certainly, will find Lightning to be the Cloud substitute they’ve been yearning for, and in the hunting side-quests the grinding fix they’re after.

For anyone less dedicated – who wouldn’t really care if a Chocobo makes an appearance or not – it’s more troubling. FFXIII is uncommonly beautiful, with a background fiction as rich as its story is poor, and at its beating heart is a battle system that stands among the genre’s finest. Its structural changes are brave, but in minimising everything that happens outside of that main narrative the baby’s been thrown out with the bathwater, leaving a potentially interesting world that you just don’t care about saving.

Until now, scores for the Square RPG have been mostly decent, as seen here in the reviews round-up last night.

FFXIII releases on Tuesday for PS3 and 360. Thanks, Blerk.

1. Blerk

Heh heh. :-D

2. asphaltcowboy

Good skills :D

3. Johnny Cullen

4. get2sammyb

For once, I kind of agree with an EDGE review. I think it deserves a little more slack than they’re giving it, but the synopsis is true.

The universe and battle system is amazing, but the actual pacing of the gameplay is just far too bland, far too often.

5. mington

in some ways, it makes me want to play it more :?

6. Detale

Ouch.

7. Erthazus

Edge is one of the best magazines for reviewing a REAL score and they have the best reviews overall.

Because i can’t stand stupid shit from US reviews: From 8-9.5

Game is shit – 8

Game is ok – 9.5

FUCK THAT.

8. Psychotext

Looks like one of the few reviews to rate the game rather than just the graphics.

9. Retroid

/Hearts Edge

10. Aimless

Having read the review it seems pretty fair. Not that I necessarily agree with it; I’ll play the game myself at some point.

11. NiceFellow

Well now – the ugly argument waiting to start is whether FFXIII was always going to be linear, lose open world RPG approach, etc. (which I believe previous FF have also done on occasion) or whether the approach was purely to support going multi-platform on 360 – i.e. to prevent copious disk swapping with too much freedom to go anywhere anytime you wanted.

If the latter, and that comes out, prepare for meltdown.

If the former then hey poor show from SE – mind you, Edge are clearly outside the common baseline overall on this one so I’m not taking this as the definitive review but an interesting composite to the more positive ones.

Either way, sounds like there’s going to be plenty of ammunition to feed the flames.

12. bugmenot

edge’s raison d’etre is the controversial low score. its been rebel from day one. i dont think they’re far off the mark but i cant help think they undermark the overhyped a little too eagarly.

13. Wakkum

And so I will again nog play a FF… Oh how I hate JRPG’s.

14. OlderGamer

Gotta admire Edge for having the guts to call a spade a spade.

Gameplay drives games.

You can’t play graphics.

15. Aimless

NiceFellow, I imagine the 360 port had zero bearing on the linearity of the game; it was serendipitous, nothing more.

It’s very clear the game was designed to capture a wider audience, you can see this in every one of its systems and the coddling nature of the 20 hour tutorial. That isn’t the sort of thing that comes together late in development.

16. dirigiblebill

A compulsory 20-25 hour “tutorial” (and yes, I’m sure I’m exaggerating things here slightly) is ridiculous. Accessibility is as much a matter of handing power to the player quickly as it is teaching the player how to use that power.

17. Bleak Harvest

Oh Edge. The attention whores of gaming magazine.

18. Alakratt

I hope the low scores and hateful comments from fans make SE wake the fuck up. Really, trying to “make it more accessible” is always wrong.

19. Tonka

Considering they gave the abortion that was FFXII a 9 this must be extremely shit.

20. Michael O’Connor

“They have a bit of a record when it comes to “more realistic” FF series reviews, don’t they? :)”

Actually, they tend to score most Final Fantasy games very highly. They obviously just don’t think this particular game deserves it.

“Oh Edge. The attention whores of gaming magazine.”

They’re attention whores… why? Because they use a scoring system that actually using the whole spectrum of numbers? Because every once in a while they rate a popular game a low score? That’s “attention whoring”? Really?

I love how people continue to proclaim this is the case with EDGE despite the fact that they *constantly* praise many new releases. They only ever pay attention to the “controversial” reviews.

The world right now seems to have a thing against critical opinions. Grow a brain and stop thinking that everything that doesn’t agree with popular consensus is “controversial”.

“Gameplay drives games.

You can’t play graphics.”

Try telling that to the people looking forward to God of War 3

21. Tonka

Has anyone said People who don’t appreciate games shouldn’t review them yet?

22. Michael O’Connor

What?

23. Bulk Slash

These days I find Edge to be a bit like a mad dog. You never know if they’re going to like a game or suddenly snap and savage it to pieces. I’ve not agreed with any of their 10s for quite a while now, I think the last one I agreed with was Gran Turismo 1!

Still, it’s better than another 8/10 which just about everyone else had given the game.

24. Michael O’Connor

Heck, they gave Dragon Age a 5, a game that I absolutely adore and find to be a better (but only just) game than Mass Effect 2.

Doesn’t mean someone needs to throw a hissy fit just because you don’t agree with some of their scores. That says far more about the person than it does about the magazine.

25. No_PUDding

Edge are just fucking stupid.

Anyone sticking up for them, due to some integrity in terms of the scale, should realise that the scale has evolved, and that Edge can get by on being controversial.

If their 5 is due to the linearity, or the fact that it never used to be linear then they are not reviewing the game, but reviewing possibilities, or they are speaking as fanas of the series – clearly stating that was not their angle.

They are pretty clueless. And I hate Final Fantasy.

26. SplatteredHouse

@bulk: I always thought those first-hand experience, informed opinions were funny, like that. ._.

27. DaMan

right, the scale has evolved. we now have a mediocre game with high production values automatically rated at least 8.

they were right on the money with FFX and XII.

28. No_PUDding

It’s like trying to change a language, and sometimes it’s literally just for mindshare. Each month Edge does something crazy.

29. NiceFellow

@15 yeah – I’m assuming they already had that basic design. I read initially they started the design for PS2, and I suspect they decided the linear elements then and stuck with them throughout.

In the end it’ll sell loads anyway, being a relatively review proof title, so I suspect the only real question is whether, if the general view is linear design was a mistake, SE avoid this tack in future outings or not.

30. DaMan

they also didn’t give it a 5 only because of the linear gameplay.

this game is (basically) like FFX with a Xenogears battle sytem, only Xenogears came out in 1998. would it be fair to rate it anything higher than 7 in say, Gamespot’s scale?

and I don’t think you can rate a jrpg without comparing it to other games from this genre. including previous FFs.

31. Tonka

Dear No_PUDing
    The scale hasn’t evolved. It has devolved.

32. No_PUDding

Heavy Rain is linear, with a great story (as far as I’ve read). How does it manage a higher score, when the main interaction and character development of Final Fantasy, is far more satisfying, than the intrinsic mechanical value of Heavy Rain.

33. Michael O’Connor

34. DaMan

maybe if it was Heavy Rain 3, it would get a 5..

35. Psychotext

Surely the problem here is that FFXIII is linear… without a great story.

36. No_PUDding

That’s WOULD be a problem, but it seems to be no worse than any other Final Fantasy.

@Tonka, It’s irrelevant, whether the chnage is for the better or not, the fact is there was a paradigm shift years that Edge still isn’t adhering to.

And they garner more attention becuase of it.

37. Psychotext

Possibly, but going by reviews it would seem that other final fantasy games had the gameplay to make up for that… and “no worse than any other Final Fantasy” is faint praise indeed. :)

38. dirigiblebill

“The character development in FFXIII is better than Heavy Rain..? Are you kidding?”

I assume he’s talking about the mechanic of character development, rather than the dramatic kind.

Apples to oranges, those two games.

39. DaMan

Pudding, I really think you should play FF6 and 7. but don’t play 8 or 10.

also, I don’t think you can compare 90s with today’s industry.

40. The Hindle

Try explaining that to people looking forward Gow 3

Im buying Gow 3 purely because of the gameplay once again Micheal O connor you think you speak for us all but youre only speaking for yourself remember that.

As for Edge they are as reliable as Gamesradar in the reviewing policy. Other journalists rate a game by how much they enjoy it yet Edge dont seem to do that. Criticising FF 13 for being linear its a Rpg what do people expect.

41. DaMan

I think you’re a crappy critic if you review a game based on how much you enjoyed it.

42. The Hindle

So if you absoluetly hated a game you would give it a high score then Daman?

43. Mike

44. DaMan

it ‘s an evaluation, it’s not about you enjoying the game or not.

45. No_PUDding

@Psychotext No, previous Final Fantasy’s have been exciting, becuase of their story and characters, the mechanics have always been hit and miss.

@DaMan I am currently playing Final Fantasy 7, and it’s a terrible game for the moment. And while I agree the industry has changed, it’s an argument that can be applied to EDGE’s reviews, a 5 no longer means what they say.

NOT that I really want to defend FFXIII, I really do dislike the series.

But mechanics we’ve adapted to in the West, are different to Japanese ones. Why can’t they condense their favourite mechanics into a linear experience? It works on the experiential level that Heavy Rain does.

46. Psychotext

I’ve only ever had one Final Fantasy story resonate with me (I wont say which one that is) and I’ve never thought any of them were particularly well written… though perhaps that’s my own fault for comparing them to the best of cinema / literature.

47. No_PUDding

Yes, that’s the problem.

All the story’s are awesome for 7-12 year olds. They aren’t designed to be thematically like Heavy Rain was designed to be. They are light-hearted and cliched.

48. Psychotext

Probably explains why the last one I thought was good was so long ago. ;)

49. No_PUDding

Uh huh.

But it doesn’t stop Uncharted 2 from getting a 9.

50. DaMan

uh, I didn’t mean in terms of how plot or characters are being presented of course, besides I think it ‘s rather awesome for a 1997 console rpg. also the game was translated, that was always part of the problem with their games.

they didn’t give it a 5 only because of the linearity. HR is an attempt at modern point and click adventure. I don’t remember 5-10 games like HR in the several past years..

btw, Edge gave Fahrenheit a 8.

51. DaMan

also, you’re actually right FF games’ plots and characters were aimed at teens. they were never aimed at adults, with the exception of XII.

VI or VII still had stories way above say, X.

52. Michael O’Connor

“with the exception of XII.”

Which is why FFXII is the most under-rated Final Fantasy in the entire franchise.

53. DaMan

not only because of that, I still see people that want screen swirling random battles back.

54. Michael O’Connor

*laughs* It was nice to see the back of those as well. I think the screen-swirling random battles can still work though – Tales of Vesperia does just fine using them.

FFXII was just… well, it was like Final Fantasy had finally grown up a bit. Of course, all the kids hated that, so we ended up with the teen angst again…

55. DaMan

btw, Pudding. it’s FFs, not jrpgs. out of Square and Enix games, FFs were always the most teen oriented jrpgs. Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story or Valkyrie Profile weren’t exactly aimed at 30 years olds but they were different.

edit: @MOC I think that was the point of FFXII.. the FF fanbase shoul’ve er, spiritually grown up but apparently it didn’t.

56. Phoenixblight

Tetsuya Nomura stated that Versus will be a darker and more mature Final Fantasy. I think they should make a more adult RPG, there are not a lot of those, all we have is Bioware to make those. God, I miss Parasite Eve.

57. Michael O’Connor

“Tetsuya Nomura stated that Versus will be a darker and more mature Final Fantasy. I think they should make a more adult RPG, there are not a lot of those, all we have is Bioware to make those.”

FF Versus XIII will be “dark” and “more mature” in a way that only teenagers are capable of digesting – lots of black clothing, wind-swept hair, angst-ridden brooding and emotional problems that take precedence over bigger issues like… oh, I don’t know… saving the world.

It will not be mature in any real sense of the term that actual adults understand it, and anyone hoping it will be is kidding themselves.

“I think they should make a more adult RPG.”

Try Lost Odyssey. It’s awesome. Tales of Vesperia has some strong, subtle character driven story-telling as well, if you can look past the cartoonish graphics.

58. Phoenixblight

I wasn’t stating that Versus would be a rated M game, was just repeating what Tetsuya said. I know they wouldn’t make a rated M Final Fantasy when the franchise has been made for teens then again think of the controversy if it was.
    Waiting for Nier that looks like it has some potential.

I have played Lost Odyssey. It was alright, the talent system was god awful, no character had their own unique abilities and each character had a blank slate that you could only copy mortals to get their talents.

Never played Tales of Vesperia because of the cartoonish look, thought it would be like those chibi anime. I will look into it.

59. DaMan

Nier is developed by Caivia, they made Drakengard. that game had a decent plot btw, overlooked by the majority of SquEnix fans.

60. Phoenixblight

Barely remember Drakengard, but I do remember having a blast on the dragon and liking the story.

61. Michael O’Connor

Drakengard was like the not shit version of Lair.

62. frostquake

I enjoyed Drakengard 1, and not Drakengard 2 as much. I VERY VERY much want an Adult themed FF, though I may die before it happens. Being an Adult..I am so tired of the teen angst themes anymore. I have a TON more disposable income then any Teen could ever dream of, and there are a ton of other Adults out there like me…I would take a M-Rated FF…as long as it was Solid it Story.
    The 25 Hour Grind I am hearing about with 13 is getting scary..because EVERYONE is talking about it…but putting a but in, saying it is FF13 and it does get better…Who cares..why is everyone handling FF13 with white gloves…if the first 25 hours suck they suck…just state it…and then state it gets better after 25 hours..

63. Phoenixblight

@Frost

Every reviewer is saying something different so far. My friend has the import and he said he enjoyed it very much so and didn’t find it as a “grind” I can’t say I won’t find it so since I only played the demo.

As the Matured rated RPGs all we have to look forward to is Shin Megami finally putting a game on the console or this Nier which we can only hope it delivers.

64. Michael O’Connor

“I VERY VERY much want an Adult themed FF.”

Just play FFXII. There, you’re sorted.

65. Phoenixblight

I think he means more of a Parasite Eve only with the FF brand on it Michael.

66. Michael O’Connor

So blood and gore, basically?

I don’t think Final Fantasy needs it.

67. Phoenixblight

Thats not all Parasite Eve was. :P

68. hitnrun

@Michael: I liked XII too, but I don’t think it’s too unreasonable to pine for a title that takes advantage of one’s current gen hardware in the year 2010 AD :D

As for the age issue, there are two different ways to look at that. There are “teen” games, in that their content is appropriate for teens. Then there are “teen” games, in that their content is targeted at 13 year olds, full of angsty, airily verbose, pseudo-deep morose characters with hearts of gold, to the annoyance of all other age groups. We can’t rightly complain that a SE wants to make an all-age blockbuster, but Final Fantasy has mostly fallen into the latter category since the move to 3D.

69. DaMan

PE wasn’t even actually gory. but it was just a different game.

70. DaMan

also, I actually believe something like FF 6-7 plots were targeted at ages 16-18. that is altogether.

with FF8 and X being targeted at mostly 12-16 years olds.