“We are going to be careful” with Natal portfolio, says Greenberg

Tuesday, 23rd February 2010 21:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

natal2b1

Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg has said that the company is going to be “very careful” when it comes to releasing games for Project Natal.

Speaking with D’toid during X10, Greenberg said that the company does not plan on just dumping games onto the market, but will be very thoughtful about what’s going to be on offer.

“We are going to be very careful in the way we think about our portfolio for Project Natal,” he said. “One of the things that people have to realize, is that we could have done a motion controller [in the beginning] – but Project Natal actually makes all that technology disappear because it can see you, it can hear you, it can track all the points on your body.

“So now we have an entirely new way, where you are the controller. So this new category of controller free games category is going to bring about all types of new experiences that have never existed before.

“We want the first impression to be a great one, so we are not going to dump products on it just because we can. We are going to be very thoughtful about what we bring to market.

“Natal is one of those things where seeing is not believing. This is something that is really unique and special. It’s part of the reason why [magazines] like Time, Popular Science, and Popular Mechanics called it one of the top inventions of the year”.

Michael Pachter agrees, apparently, because the analyst feels Natal will outsell Sony’s offering by 5 to 1, with a predicted price point of $50, which he seems pretty sure about since he has said it more than once.

Scheduled for the holidays, Microsoft released a firm “no comment” regarding Jonathan Ross’ October announcement reported earlier in the day.

1. Michael O’Connor

2. Razor

The only discussion is that if Natal tanks, MS are going to have copious amounts of egg on face.

3. Gekidami

This sounds like “Dont expect alot of games for Natal” to me…

4. Alakratt

C’mon O’Connor, we all know you always get a hard-on for everything MS and especially when Greenberg says something. So don’t worry you can speak you’re mind here.

5. mtmind2

@Michael O’Connor who wrote “*desperately trying to resist the urge to comment in this potential minefield of a discussion*”

Resist…. resist…. come on, you know you can do it … resist. :-)

EDIT: Too late

6. Michael O’Connor

“C’mon O’Connor, we all know you always get a hard-on for everything MS and especially when Greenberg says something.”

*looks at this message while in the middle of a game of Demons’ Souls* What was that?

7. Alakratt

@mtmind2

8. mtmind2

Anyway, it’s good to see MS are serious about being careful, since Natal (imo) has the potential to have as big an impact on the games market as the Wii, but only if the right decisions are made at the beginning (and of course, if Natal lives up to the hype).

9. Michael O’Connor

“Its too easy to manipulate. I say ‘it’ because he can’t be a guy, since he doesn’t have balls to admit he’s a fanboy. At least I can admit that I am.”

It’s completely impossible to admit to something that I’m not, especially with LittleBigPlanet, Demons’ Souls and Uncharted 2 being loaded up far more often on my PS3 than games are on my 360.

I also have 2 intended game purchases in the next month. Can you guess what format they are on? Go on… guess…

Troll harder.

10. mtmind2

@Alakratt

Well, as a new comer to these boards, I’m not going to go there. :-)

I guess I’ll soon find out who is who around here. ;-)

11. Michael O’Connor

@ mtmind2

Hi mtmind2, I’m Michael. I’m one of the more aggressive people with their opinions around here. I regularly bash the decisions and words of many companies around here for the bullshit PR that they are. I’m also especially critical of the console manufacturers.

I am consistently called a PS3 fanboy, a 360 fanboy, and I even been called a Wii fanboy. How exactly is it possible to be a fanboy of all three at the exact same time is beyond me, but there you go.

Nice to meet you. *shakes your hand vigorously*

12. Eregol

No matter how careful they are, you can guarantee that shovelware is inbound.
    More games will be on shelves, they just wont be worth owning.

Welcome to the future of gaming guys, say goodbye to everything you love.

13. Michael O’Connor

“Welcome to the future of gaming guys, say goodbye to everything you love.”

Funny, I still play difficult and challenging games all the time…

You’re being a tad alarmist. Just because a new market ends up sharing our space does not mean that “everything we love” is suddenly going to die.

There are *plenty* of great games on the Wii, despite all the shovelware.

14. mtmind2

@Michael O’Connor who said “Hi mtmind2, I’m Michael. I’m one of the more aggressive people with their opinions around here.”

Yeah I notice that in our Natal/Arc discussion earlier (which I enjoyed btw).

And said “Nice to meet you. *shakes your hand vigorously*”

Thanks for the greeting Michael, and nice to meet you too.

*shakes your hand vigorously… all whilst seeing who can crush the other hand the hardest… but with a smile* :D

15. Erthazus

Oh god… I want to put something very big in Greenbergs ass.

He is made of PR. He is just saying that Natal is a JESUS or Natal is a Jesus little present.

16. Plainview

I call bullshit

17. fearmonkey

Natal doesnt interest me until I see a real use for it. Mass effect 2, with its mini games, and holo controls, would be interesting with Natal. Yet, I know that I wont see anything interesting till E3. Im very bored with the kick ball demo, and the racing with burnout paradise demo. Frankly, sony’s demo was much more interesting, and the using it as a bow looked fun. I want MS to wow me, i want to see head tracking in a real game with a controller. The idea of having alot of gestures and invisable buttons for certain games would be neat, like a mech game. the tech has its promise but so far, nothing really excites me, and so far ill pass on it,

18. Dannybuoy

@2 Egg on Face sounds like a great Natal game! ;-)

19. OlderGamer

What Eregol said.

And I will add: Its the end of the world as we know it…and I feel fine.