Stuart Black Codies shooter is OPM’s “special game”

Thursday, 18th February 2010 15:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Black

OPM editor Tim Clark has told TSA the recent project announced by Codemasters Guildford from Black creator Stuart Black is the “special game” mentioned in the magazine’s most recent podcast.

The shooter was announced to be in development earlier this week, with Codies confirming it as a new shooter IP.

The quote in the podcast from Clark, picked up by GOONL!NE, goes as this:

Next time we’ll be talking shooters with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Vanquish and another very special game yet to be announced.”

The said title is due to get a reveal sometime within the next month as OXM UK and OPM UK are both covering the game.

Black had previously worked on the EA Criterion shooter Black [I don't get it neither - JC] as senior designer alongside studio boss Alex Ward as director.

Guess we’ll find out soon what the new project is.

1. KAP

Was Black actually any good? I remember playing it from those demo discs u get free with OPM a good five years ago but dont remember actually having the sense to buy it? not like i did with SOTC

2. NGCes26294BIV

I loved Black, apart from the cutscenes. It was to shooters what Burnout was to racing games.

3. Razor

Black was awesome. Black should make another Black, although whether they’d call it Black, or whether Black would like a Black reboot, Black should leave the core gameplay of Black unchanged for the new Black.

4. Goliath

@ KAP

I was about ask the same thing. I played Black on the PS2 and it really wasn’t that great a game. I never finished the games since the final level was so damn difficult. What was great about Black though was the controls.

5. Retroid

Always good to see some hot Black-on-Black action.

6. Robo_1

Black was awesome… save for the design. Oh dear :(

I remember the Bridge level nearly killing me on hard, as you had to find all the evidence to get past the level, but then it would cut you off from backtracking your steps and you were essentially stuck with a level you couldn’t possibly beat.

I’ll say this for the game though, the shooting was spot perfect, and it’s one of the very few (if only) FPS’s I still return to from last gen.

7. AHA-Lambda

I remember playing the demo and thought it was alright, but everybody always said it was amazing tho :|

maybe I should check it out if i find it cheap

8. Goliath

@ Robo_1

Really? No Timesplitters: Future Perfect, Area 51, Battlefield 2, even Project Snowblind? Surprisingly, the PS2 has a handful of solid shooters. I still play many of them.

9. Gheritt White

Red Faction 2 on PS2 was sublime, IMHO

10. onlineatron

I prefered the first Red Faction… only because me and my brothers would spend hours blowing tunnels in the walls to hide in multiplayer.

11. Johnny Cullen

Red Faction 2 > Red Faction 1.

Any day.

12. Gekidami

The first one was the best. For some reason the destruction was dropped in the sequel only letting you destroy a few preset objects rather then pretty much everything. Ruined the game for me, thats what made the first game and the second didnt even do it.

13. polygem

black was awesome. when it was released it was stunning: the feeling and sound of the guns, huge explosions, destructive enviroments etc…if you play it today, and compare it to all the other top shooters it might not be such an impressive experience anymore, don´t know…but back then i really couldn´t believe those graphics are coming out of my old, dusty ps2…

14. RGW1982

@ 8

The Timesplitters Series Was By Far The Best FPS Games Of The Last Gen, Timesplitters 2 Being The Best Of The Series.