Total War not coming to consoles unless it can “replicate the experience” on PC, says Creative Assembly

Tuesday, 16th February 2010 12:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

naptotalwar

Creative Assembly’s Mark O’Connell has told VG247 the Total War games won’t be coming to consoles unless it absolutely can “replicate the entire experience” that is found for the series for PC.

O’Connell, CA’s PR and Online Manager, was talking to us for a feature on the RTS genre in games. He stated if it were to be done, it’d need to be done right with “intuitive controls and interface”.

He said: “Our UK studio hasn’t yet developed a strategy game for the console, having previously only focused on action-adventure titles such as Viking: Battle for Asgard.

“Of course, PC is the home of Total War but if we ever were to transition to consoles, we’d only do it when we could ensure that we could replicate the entire experience along with intuitive controls and interface.”

Currently, the Creative Assembly team is waiting on the release of Napoleon: Total War. It’s out in the US next Tuesday and next Friday in the UK.

Read our full feature on the state of the RTS genre – featuring interviews with O’Connell, Michael de Plater of Ubisoft and more – through here.

1. Grimrita

So in other words – no they wont lol. But hey, the way things have been recently with Total War and its crappy AI that has taken them months to fix on their two previous outings, Napoleon had better not suffer the same fate, or this will be the last Total War I buy.

2. Gheritt White

One for the Sony Wand, perhaps?

3. f1r3storm

Uh, i think Total War suits better to consoles than any other RTS, especially because you can pause the action and give your units new orders. And you don’t need that much buttons for it.

4. Hunam

To be honest, I don’t really care that much about Total War. I bought Empire and it was broken as fuck from the outset. It’s gotten more fixed over the last year but at the expense of ambition, some things were scaled back and ruined. Then making a stand alone expansion which even if it does fix all the things I hated in Empire wont do anything for me, because why the fuck would I buy Napoleon if Empire, the game I already bought, is a left a broken mess.

5. Grimrita

I hear ya Hunam. I am worried that Napoleon will feel like an expansion at full price. However, they claim that it has different AI to Empire…probably meaning that it works!

6. Harry

CA recently ruined the naval combat in Empire: Total War – neutering the ships of the line – I don’t hold out much hope for Napoleon being any good. Especially given that naval combat was so important in that conflict.

7. Yoshi

I really dont see any point in getting Napoleon: Total War, its just Empire: Total War but a different campaign lol

8. endgame

OWND! :D

hat off to Mark O’Connell.

p.s. i have to say that i kind of needed this after the alan wake pr stunt that ms pulled earlier. :DD

9. Pyrix

I really enjoyed Rome and Medieval II Total War but Empire just didn’t do it for me, as Hunam says, it was probably because it was broken, and while fixes have come out since release, I haven’t been able to bring myself back to it. I will get Napoleon and see if that can grip me in the way Rome and Medieval II did.

A console version would be interesting. The campaign mode would work well I think (Civilization Revolution worked reasonably well) but the problem would probably be in the actual battles, especially with the number of units which you can get in Total War.

As far as Naval Combat is concerned, I really didn’t like it and just simmed it most of the time.

10. blackdreamhunk

real good rts will crash and burn on consoles. I am sorry there is alot of genres consoles can’t handle. Also a reason why real gamers don’t like consoles too.

11. NoxNoctisUmbra

PC FTW

12. Grimrita

Most RTS games have removed alot of micro management to get on the console and probably why alot of them bomb of late.

Hell, even C&C 4 has removed its core feature of base building as did Dawn of War 2, which sucked big time! I dont want Company of Heroes in a Warhammer frock – I already have CoH!

As for Medieval 2, short memories people – it took them 10 months to fix the AI on that. It was shocking. How many times where you under siege and then the enemy didnt even attack.

I used to fast forward and create a scene from the benny hill show with a small amount of cavalry running on the outside of the fort, which attracted the AI to attack them, and my archers picked them off one by one. VERY poor game.

The AI has never been the same since Rome. 2004 was a good year for the RTS genre – first Rome and then the outstanding original Dawn of War. I spent thousands of hours playing that online with my friends.

13. SwiftRanger

Yes, because C&C4 and DoW II definitely came out on consoles and/or are going to come out on them…

Both those games even added more micro and shifted focus entirely towards smaller-scale warfare, without CoH’s failings (setting, grey colour scheme, too many resources, etc.). Doesn’t work for the C&C 4 beta (sucks monkey bals) but it definitely did turn out well for DoW II (best RTS of 2009, period) which is as hardcore as a PC RTS can be. Base building isn’t vital to RTS fun, good gameplay is and DoW II (just like Dark Omen and the first Myth games) has loads of that.

Total War… TCA shouldn’t be talking about coming to consoles when they can’t properly patch up their PC release.

14. Hunam

To be honest, C&C 4 could work on console’s far better than previous C&C games, so it’s bizarre that they actually aren’t doing it for them.

For the record, Dawn of War 2 and C&C 4 beta are great fun, still not as good as SupCom though.

CoH is ok, I just can’t gel with the game though, despite actually being somewhat good at it!