NPD January 2010: Wii sells 465K, 360 beats PS3 comfortably

Thursday, 11th February 2010 23:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

wii3

Wii’s taken the spoils in the hardware charts for the month of January, according to just release NPD figures.

The console sold 465K, alongside DS’s 422K.

Meanwhile in the HD platforms, unlike last month, Xbox 360 comfortably won the latest round with sales of 332K, mostly helped out by software sales of Mass Effect 2.

PS3, meanwhile, got a total of 276K. The rest of the PlayStation family came in with 100K and 41K for PSP and PS2 respectively.

Full list below.

• Wii – 465.8K
  • DS – 422.2K
  • Xbox 360 – 332.8K
  • PS3 – 276.9K
  • PSP – 100.1K
  • PS2 – 41.6K

1. Blerk

Wot no text? :-D

Anyway, take that… analysts! Wrong again! :lol:

2. The Hindle

The 360 and Ps3 seem to out do each other every month one month its the Playstation the next its the 360 wish they would make thier mind up lol

3. Psychotext

I had it down that way… 360 beating the PS3 is mostly down to the PS3 having stock issues in January. (Same thing happened with the 360 losing out to the PS3 at the start of 2008)

4. Psychotext

Oh, and I hate to say it TH… but look for the software results.

5. szaromir

Last year 360 beated PS3 in January…

6. Psychotext

Then I forget which month I’m thinking of. Let me look it up.

Edit – Ahh, there it is. January 08.

7. The Hindle

Microsoft have the US in a bloody good stranglehold dont they. Im calling it now if Microsoft outsell Sony in March what with GOW 3 out they will win this console war.

8. Psychotext

The 360 isn’t going to outsell the PS3 in March. I have absolutely no doubt of that.

9. Blerk

Seems unlikely with both God of War and Final Fantasy on the cards.

10. RGW1982

American’s Are Stupid, Of Course The Dumb Asses Would Buy The Inferior System.

Enjoy The RROD. :)

11. McLovin85

No shock there as Mass Effect 2 came out in the same month.

12. DUFFKING

Can we have an ignore function for comments please? I’d seriously love to never see any of RGW1982′s moronic ramblings ever again.

13. RGW1982

LOL @ The Stupid American

14. Psychotext

Unfortunately it’s getting past the point where it’s easy to ignore manually… so I agree DUFFKING.

Novelty gone.

15. RGW1982

That’s Just Because You Lack The Intelligence To Think Of Anything New To Say Back, All Your Dumb Ass Would Do Is Repeat Yourself.

The Only Way For You PT To Raise Your IQ Is To Stand On A Chair.

16. Psychotext

You’re right, I bow to your clearly superior intellect. Oh if only I could be like you etc etc…

17. RGW1982

Much Better.

18. MushroomStamp

Maybe if the PS3 stops dissapointing gamers with their big titles like WKC and Heavy Rain they will get more sales….. Still waiting…. Uncharted 2 and Infamous are still the best games on the console.. luckily Infamous 2 is out this year..

19. RGW1982

Maybe If You Didn’t Like Shit Games…

20. MushroomStamp

I love great games.. that’s the problem.. dont’ get defensive about the PS3 letting people down.. I have one.. that’s how I know. Facts and numbers speak for themselves… Heavy Rain isn’t what people hoped for and neither is WKC… You can love things all you want… but people are speaking with their wallets… and these games aren’t exactly setting peoples wallets on fire.

21. RGW1982

Heavy Rain Is Exactly What People Hoped For, You Just Like Shit Games.. Saying Infamous Is One Of The Best PS3 Games Is Pure Retardation, Just Stop Liking Shitty Games.. PS3 Gamers Aren’t Disappointed, Only The Idiots That Have No Taste In Games Are.

22. MushroomStamp

Look you fucktard.. if you had ANY gaming skill in you, you coudlnt’ possibly bash Infamous.. Every gamer I know loved it. To say it is shitty and HR is Awesome just shows how limited your abilities and tastes are.

HR is not what many of us hoped for.. the reviews are all over the place .. most all say the same thing.. more of an interactive movie with little replay.. so your just a fanboy and WANT it and HOPE it’s great.. while the sales numbers will show… it’s a rental… deal with it..

23. Spaced Oddity

@Mushroom Stamp

I signed in to make this response especially for you (yes, feel special :D ).

I rather enjoyed inFAMOUS; however, having played through it so many times, I grew frustrated with its bugs and design. The game was good in that it had a great story accompanied with interesting characters and music, but failed in its lack of mission variety (especially side missions), lack of incentive to keep playing and the many game-breaking bugs I encountered (falling through the ground, freezing/crashes, etc.). I am looking forward to the sequel, but I hope it offers more than the first game did.

On to the next point: I respectfully disagree with you saying the PS3 has very few worthy games. I also disagree with you saying Heavy Rain is disappointing people. The reviews for the title have been solid across the board save a few sites who tend to display biased journalism instead of objectivity (D’toid, anyone?). I personally have only played its demo and that alone gave me a raging hard-on. Lack of replay value? Where exactly did you come up with that nonsense? The game is entirely open-ended, your choices changing the way the game unfolds, meaning plenty of replay value. While money is strapped at the moment, I plan on picking it up without the shadow of a doubt down the road. Most people I’ve talked to feel the same way about it. You unfortunately fall into the category of a person too involved in their own perspective to realise not everyone shares the same displeasure in things as you do. Much like those laughable Americans of whom I’ve disowned who feel America = the world, eh? hehe

On topic: Congratulations to Microsoft for shifting more units, whether they be their typical shipped numbers or actual sell-through. They have a stranglehold on the American HD market, though it isn’t enough to compensate for the rest of the world. Microsoft snagging a FFXIII bundle was a good idea and should help keep things strong come March. I’m just glad Mass Effect 2 is doing as well as it is.

24. RGW1982

LOL @ 22′s Stupidity.

25. Psychotext

“Congratulations to Microsoft for shifting more units, whether they be their typical shipped numbers or actual sell-through.”

NPD only reports sold to consumer numbers Space Oddity.

26. MushroomStamp

I was referring to PS3 Exclusives… and there aren’t that many that have lived up to expectation. I would even say there have been more dissapointments than Solid Titles.

Yes Infamous had bugs… many games do….however it remains as one of the best exclusive titles to the PS3.

Heavy Rain. I fully plan on playing it. But in NO WAY does this game live up to the hype… Replaying a game over and over to see minor differences and different endings while the majority of the gameplay is actually watching is a snooze fest and still relegated to rental territory… This game is just a pretty adventure game… Reminds me of Old Seirra games.I’m sure it’s a great rental.. but definetly won’t find a way onto many people permanent library.

PS3 owners are so hungry for a great game they jump all over a hype machine and Good games, proclaiming they are better than what they are… but when the dust settles… the sales will be a let down.. just look at at the majority of exclusive titles… Setting the charts on fire, they do not.

27. kdogg

@MushroomStamp

28. Spaced Oddity

@ Mushroom Stamp

Again, it’s only your opinion PS3 gamers are starved for more exclusives because we’re allegedly being disappointed by lackluster releases. I’m faily certain no meeting was held wherein you were nominated and won your office as “Spokesman for the PS3 Users” ;). Do you view the sales of the titles in comparison to Nintendo’s Mario or Microsoft’s Halo games? The heaviest hitters for Microsoft are ONLY Halo and Gears, on a console that mostly provides shooters, while the rest of the games sell comparatively or lower than most of Sony’s franchises. Nintendo has Metroid, Zelda and Mario which are their behemoths with very little to offer outside a big steaming pile of shovelware shit that sells pitifully (and a few gems like Zack and Wiki, MadWorld and Muramasa: Demon Blade being sent to their death). Then you have Sony who offers arguably the most variety in their games and sell quite steadily with a few exceptions; the only Halo/Mario sized seller being Gran Turismo and MGS4.

Ditch the biased perspective and realise that Nintendo owners have been starved for games, as well as 360 owners for most of last year. The starving PS3 owner argument died years ago as there have been plenty of exclusives released to fill every different individual’s pallette. There’s enough good games and technology coming for all platforms this year. If YOU still feel dissatisfied by year’s end, perhaps you should pick up a different hobby.

@Psychotext

Thank you for clarrifying NPD’s sources. I forgot they make a near accurate assessment of sell-through, though they don’t keep up with online retailers like Amazon and have a loose approximation with Walmart. Either way, it’s good to know my favorite industry is thriving strong in such a shitty global economy.

29. Psychotext

You’ll be pleased to know that NPD do track Amazon now, they added them to their retailer panel in 2008.

30. The Hindle

Spaced oddity

Very well said dude, welcome to VG24/7

31. Blerk

If we’re ditching the ‘starving PS3 owner’ argument then can we also ditch the ’360 only has shooters’ one?

32. Michael O’Connor

Pat, Johnny, whoever has the access… check RGW1982′s IP and see if it matches Shatner. No human being alive on the internet is capable of being this intentionally retarded.