Xbox Live for original Xbox to shut down on April 15

Friday, 5th February 2010 08:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

xboxlivelogo

Major Nelson’s announced that Xbox Live services for the original Xbox will shut down as of April 15.

It’s also been confirmed that Live servers for any Xbox titles released via the Xbox Originals service for 360 are to also be closed.

The first step in the shutdown will see auto-renewals turned off for anyone using Live on an original Xbox.

“We did not make this decision lightly, but after careful consideration and review we realize that this decision will allow us unprecedented flexibility for future features,” said Nelson.

Find more through here.

Goodbye Halo 2 multiplayer. We barely knew ya.

1. Gekidami

So i guess this means that they’ll be able to raise the number of friends you can have thanks to Halo 2 being out of the way right?

2. Aimless

This could potentially be more significant than it first appears. As Gekidami mentioned the oft cited reason for the 100 Friends limit is that it’s a legacy constraint from the original Xbox, so it’s possible that Microsoft will give Live a bit of a facelift before the year’s out.

Hell, maybe they could get someone with a concept of usability give the NXE a prune whilst they’re at it.

3. Random_H

Bye, Links 2004. Still the best Golf Game Ever

4. Blerk

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Halo players suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

5. Rhythm

Wtf?! Is this going to break XBLA on the original Xbox?

6. Blerk

I’d imagine anything that relies on a Live connection to work would be busted, yeah.

7. Soong

Nice! This most likely confirms an overhaul of NXE or the way Live works (upping the friends list is definitely there) but since Halo 2 is the only significant title that is really affected by this, I assume that MS has looked at how Sony is making money by re-releasing HD versions of PS2 games (God of War) and decided to give Halo 2: HD and maybe even Halo: CE : HD :D

8. Blerk

Quite. Expect them within six months.

9. Soong

What better timing to release a HD version of Halo than in the same year that the the prequel to said games is released? Besides, they could’ve been working on that shit for years for all we know.

All pure speculation on my part of course, but I just can’t imagine them abandoning Halo 2 just like that ;)

10. Michael O’Connor

“I just can’t imagine them abandoning Halo 2 just like that ”

This is Microsoft. They tend to abandon anything that’s more than five years old.

11. Soong

@Michael O’Connor: LOL yeah I hadn’t thought of it like that! Oh well, it was just some crazy-ass theory of mine.

12. Michael O’Connor

Hah.

I’m quite impressed that a signficant number of people are still playing Halo 2, to be honest. You can still easily boot up the game now and get into a match with little wait.

13. Soong

And forcing all those Halo 2 players to upgrade to a HD version on the 360 by switching support off sounds exactly like something MS would do ;)

14. AHA-Lambda

I am surprised they are abandoning halo 2 actually even though it is probably the only xbox title still played on live.

Does mean if you haven’t got dlc for halo 2 and want it you better get it quick :P

@ 7 – That’s a good idea actually :O

15. Psychotext

I was reading about this earlier. Apparently Halo 2 gets about 3k-4k players a day so it’s a shame for them…

…but it’s great news for live on the 360 as it means they no longer have to stick with some of the legacy decisions they made (like a friends list which maxes out at 100 players).

16. OlderGamer

I want a new HD fully playable online version of Mechassult :(

I still play with friends once a week. Best online shooter ever made right there. Guess I will have to wait for a nd look forward to the next Mechassult game later this year(prolly more like next year). They better not screw it up like they did Mech 2.

17. blackdreamhunk

yup more reasons why it’s good to be a pc gamer

ahahahahahahahahahahahahmirco soft says jump you people how high what a joke!

yea them consoles are sooooooooooooo great!

18. Mad-elph

@ BDH – PC game servers go offline all the time, what are you talking about?

As for the stroy – its probably an attempt to push more people to Xbox 360… but I suspect a few will feel ‘hurt’ by this and go PS3, not the majority, but some for sure.

19. blackdreamhunk

for older games there is lan lines and other ways of playing them. the only games you really can’t play is mmo’s

20. Psychotext

Edit – Just realised I’m breaking my own rule.

21. blackdreamhunk

looks like you need a pc for ahahahahahahahah!

this is also why mmo’s are not good on consoles ever!

22. Psychotext

* what I said before *

23. blackdreamhunk

at aleast pc gamers can still play our old games that we payed for

games like UT2004,counter strike can still be played today

24. Gheritt White

Moomin death sauna

Interstellar Moomins 5555

25. blackdreamhunk

all the old games on the xbox should just come over to pc now there is still demand for old games on pc that people will pay for

there is alot of reto gamers on pc

26. Gheritt White

Moominpocalypse

27. MushroomStamp

but but but.. BDH, why would you want to play inferior console games on your master of all thing PC? doesn’t that contradict your PC religious teachings?

28. frostquake

So does this mean..Bye Bye Star Wars Battlefront 2…that I still play like crazy online???

29. blackdreamhunk

the games on consoles is not as good as pc games but having more for reto gamers is just healthy for retro gaming.

30. Johnny Cullen