Sony “very confident” PS3 will beat 360 within 10-year “time-frame”

Wednesday, 3rd February 2010 06:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim3

SCEA’s Peter Dille’s claimed PS3 will beat 360 in terms of unit sales in the next 10 years.

“I don’t think [360 will] be around in 10 years so I’m very confident we’ll pass them within that time frame,” said the exec, speaking in an IGN interview.

“I mean, we’ve got 31 million [units sold] worldwide right now — they’ve got 39 million [units sold]. I don’t even need to go out 10 years.”

Dille fell short of placing a date on when he expects PS3 to take the lead, however.

“I’m not going to make any predictions for your interview today other than we’ll pass them, but you look at where we are today and where they are today, and they had an opportunity to sprint as far ahead of us as possible when they had the head start,” he said.

“Well, we’re breathing down their necks and they can see us in the rearview mirror and it’s not going to take too long to pass them.”

Microsoft execs have been previously keen to claim they’re going to “win” this hardware round. Cast your minds back to Mr Gosen and his comments on 360 beating PS3 in Europe “this generation,” for example.

Recent figures suggest PS3 may well be gaining on 360, however. Year-end NPD numbers showed US 360 growth basically flattened in 2009, while PS3 moved forward over 20 percent on the back of a hardware revision and price cut.

Check the full interview out though the link, and get ready for lots more: it’s nearly time for GDC.

1. Anthorne

This guy “very confident” that I wont care about ps3 or xbox 360 in 10 more years

2. Jadeskye

Does this shit even matter?

The gamer on the street (including myself) just wants to know one thing: When are my videogames coming out?

3. Freek

I have a feeling that MS buisiness plan includes coming up with something else that sells more then the competition well within that 10 year time frame.

4. alimokrane

Well, it’ easy for them to pick a time frame that suits them and declare themeselves winners just as it is easy for microsoft to come out now and say we beat the PS3 worlwide in a 4/5 year time frame…. Goes to show this whole thing is just POINTLESS!!!

5. Erthazus

Its just pointless… Microsoft started one year earlier when no other next game system was. Not to mention on how much consoles one user have because of failure rate.

Sony stated about 10 year life span…

So its just nonsence. The real Console war is where both companies start together and you can see the result.

And Nintendo this generation crushed both, so no point.

6. NGCes26294BIV

We all know this is pointless, but then Sony don’t exactly have any REAL facts and figures to be shouting about, do they?

7. Psychotext

Nintendo need to modify this old slide for their next presentation…

:D

8. Blerk

Ha!

9. Johnny Cullen

:D

10. Detale

Nice.

11. cookiejar

Kaz has dropped some weight over the years :D

12. NGCes26294BIV

That pic is all about the WIN.

13. NGCes26294BIV

And Kaz is looking chubby there too. Maybe the stress of the PS£ helped him lose a few pounds ;)

14. Retroid

Jesus, is that a real slide? O_o

15. Psychotext

Yup. Things have changed somewhat since last gen.

16. Retroid

Took ‘em a while to realise that and tone down the arrogance, though!

17. tatsujin

One more price drop and that should end the 360.

18. reask

Sony still living in Sony land it would appear.
    They lost this gen to MS and its about time they got over it.
    The PS3 imo has failed to live up to expectations and the sales reflect that.

It has risen in the US off the back of poor sales prior to price cut which puts it on a par with 360.
    By the time it catches up with the 360 (if it ever does) both consoles will be distant memories and MS will be starting off with the 720 on a 60 plus million userbase.

Throw BC in with that and its game over for Sony been king of the hill gaming wise.
    Just the way I see it anyway.
    I own both btw.

19. Psychotext

Ehh… I still think it will, but in the end we’ll be talking about the same sort of percentage difference you saw between the xbox and the gamecube, and both of them will look fairly pathetic next to the Wii.

20. PolyGoneWithTheWind

“60 plus million userbase” – for some reason I first read that as over a million 60+ year olds… All those pensioners putting their hips out playing Breakout on Natal.

Xbox 360 is close to critical mass as is, Natal is extremely important in opening up new markets. Without it, PS3 will have caught up and surpassed Xbox 360 long before 720 hits the shelves. Everyone who wants an Xbox 360 without Natal already has one – it’s currently in negative growth while PS3 is climbing and still hasn’t even hit the “magic price point” yet.

Not banging Xbox 360 in the slightest though, it will always have a higher tie-ratio and individual software sales on cross-platform will sell better on Xbox 360 for quite some time due to demographics.

21. Psychotext

“Everyone who wants an Xbox 360 without Natal already has one”

People were saying similar things (obviously minus Natal) in 2007, then 2008, then 2009. Didn’t really shake out that way though.

On a different note. I’ve only just noticed how stupid that 31m vs 39m comment is. When the PS3 launched it was 0m vs 6m. (I don’t think his PS3 numbers are accurate for what it’s worth… we’ll know tomorrow what they are as of the end of December)

22. reask

PolyGoneWithTheWind said:

Everyone who wants an Xbox 360 without Natal already has one

I have been hearing that said for years only it was prior to 24 million been sold.
    Every blogger was saying once it hits the 24 million mark that’s it as only Xbox owners are going to buy it.
    Well what do you know another 15 million went out and bought one.

It sells games and that’s what keeps a console going I mean compare PS3 big hitters with 360 and it wipes the floor with it.

23. Quiiick

@ reask
    Quote: “Of course it will reach 60 million because when the 720 comes out the 360 will become the new PS2.”

LOL! Do you really believe that the PS3 will not sell 60+ million units when all is said and done?

BTW: The Wii will become/is the new PS2. Not the PS3, nor the 360!

24. Gekidami

“compare PS3 big hitters with 360 and it wipes the floor with it.”

You’re quite wrong.
    You’re also a blatant 360 fanboy, owning both systems or not.

25. Psychotext

I think he’s talking about sales Gekidami.

“The REAL sale of every console cycle starts when consoles hit the $149 mark. And that will be no difference this time around.”

That’s a commonly held belief, but it’s wrong. It sold more in a year at $299 than it did at $149 or any price below that. The biggest selling year of the PS2 was when it hit $199… with the first three years being the biggest selling overall.

26. Gheritt White

Gek, that link is just about scores, not sales. AFAIK, X360 still commands the highest attach rate, which is what I inferred reask was talking about.

27. Quiiick

@ Psychotext
    You may not get the best selling 1 year at $149, but you sell the most units overall at this price point. The PS2 is still selling, hence it was just launched officially a few weeks ago in some countries.

28. Psychotext

You sell the most units at that price point because you sell for far longer. Sales per year are a far more valid way of calculating the effect of prices on sales. You can even average it out. Taking NPD figures you can say that at $299 the PS2 sold ~450k per month at $299, ~700k per month at $199 and ~450k per month at $149.

It all comes down to one simple thing though, at least for every machine other than the DS so far… you sell most per year in the first four years. Every console has a sales curve which generally sees it go from from low, to high, to low again.

The PS2 worked exactly that way too (you can see Sony’s official numbers on their website), and that’s even taking into consideration that the product launched in new countries.

29. The Hindle

Look guys who cares seriously, for the good of the industery i hope both consoles sell well cause if they dont we are facing a lifetime of Wii casual games *shudders*

30. Psychotext

I like numbers. :(

31. Syrok

Than you will like this site, Pyschotext. :)

32. JonFE

The battle for 3rd place still rages on I see…

33. Psychotext

Pshh… that’s not enough precision Syrok. :P

34. The Hindle

I can actually see the Ps3 do a 10 year cycle, Sony lost way to much money to do another console anytime soon.

35. reask

@ gek

Of course I was talking about sales.
    Why am I a fanboy for stating my point of view?
    I may be wrong but it is the way I read it.
    NPD for December show a 5k gap in favour of PS3 which is hardly ground-breaking if the gap is 8 million.

The fact of the matter is both consoles are out a while now and the PS3 is just holding its own.
    Taking into account the Play-station name this is nothing of significance over half way into the life of this gen.

36. Quiiick

@ The Hindle
    My guess is that the PS4 will be just more RAM and a few more SPEs. But overall nothing dramatically different than the PS3.

37. reask

Quiiick said:

I have no doubt it will but my point was that by the time it does this gen will be well and truly over so it wont matter as 720 will be starting the next gen with PS2 type numbers if you know what I mean.

Edit:
    I disagree with you on the Wii point actually as I fear a lot of Wiis are just lying under peoples telly’s doing nothing.
    I think Ninty squandered a major opportunity by not catering for all gamers with the Wii.

In saying that they could change that position if they wanted to by getting more third parties on board.

38. Syrok

Can you all put some ” around quotes please. :)

39. Psychotext

Can you all put some ” around quotes please.

Hey… they fixed blockquote. Awesome. :)

40. The Hindle

Id say Dille’s figures are a bit off as well id put the Ps3 at the 34 or 35m range at the moment.

41. reask

@Syrok

what?

42. Robo_1

The thing is, this gen hasn’t really been about the usual three way face off, the main battle ground is HD Game Consoles vs Casual Friendly Wii.

The success of the Wii has served to highlight just how niche the market is for traditional consoles and games, when measured against that of the Wii and casual friendly experiences like sports and keeping fit.

I think in many ways, this gen has served to draw a line under development costs vs return, and it’s doubtful that the market as it is can sustain traditional action games with improved production values. This simple fact will likely dictate the specs of the next gen of consoles, where I fully expect the three hardware manufacturers to pretty much converge. Each offering what will essentially be a HD Wii, with only marginal spec differences between each machine.

43. Gekidami

“Why am I a fanboy for stating my point of view?”

Your point of view is that of a fanboy. Just like someone saying that ‘TEH 360 IS DA SUXORZ’ is their “point of view”. Its “point of views” which make fanboys fanboys.

But, y’know; Just my point of view.

44. Syrok

@Syrok

what?

Quotation marks. So it’s easier to see where the quote starts and ends. Or < /blockquote> < blockquote>

45. reask

@ gek

OMG I don’t believe Sony spin and instead look at the situation as it stands today and call it different and discover I am a fanboy. :(
    Remind me next time I have the audacity not to believe. :)