Criterion to show off new NFS for first time today

Wednesday, 27th January 2010 12:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

needforspeedcarbon

Criterion’s just tweeted they will be showing off the Need for Speed project the studio currently has in development for the first time today.

But before you break the bed while jumping up and down on it, it’s not going to be a public affair.

The reveal will be at an internal EA meeting later today.

NFS will be shown for the first time today at internal Electronic Arts meeting! Let’s put the pedal to the metal and hit it,” was the tweet.

A couple of weeks back, it was thought the racer was subtitled “Out of the Law”.

Two pieces of concept art also got out, but Criterion shot the art and title down as fake.

The developer was confirmed to be developing the next NFS by EA CEO John Riccitello in June last year.

1. JonFE

This will probably be the first NFS game I purchase since Most Wanted; Criterion have earned my respect (and my money) with their Burnout series, so this deserves, at the very least, to be on my radar…

2. G1GAHURTZ

This better not be rubbish, since it looks like being the only open world racer for the next few years after the death of Midnight Club and Atari’s apparent hatred for Test Drive Unlimited.

IT BETTER BE GOOD CRITERION!!

3. Eregol

@Giga
    If it isn’t good I wouldn’t have a go at Criterion. EA are the ones who took them away from Burnout duties to work on NFS.
    Personally I would have prefered them to work on a new Burnout title that’s more structured than freeform.

4. NGCes26294BIV

If we’re having news stories about internal company meetings now, can we please find out when the next meeting about Perfect Dark HD is taking place at RARE? I’d like to participate.

5. Quiiick

@ JonFE
    Me too. “Most Wanted” was the last NFS I played.
    Hope this one from Criterion will finally be good again and a “real” NFS!

6. DrDamn

What’s a “real” NFS? For me that would be rolling point to point tracks in super cars.

I think Burnout lost quite a lot which was good in going open world. Split screen for a start – still regularly play Road Rage on BO3 running under BC on a 360.

7. Hunam

The only Burnout I have played is Paradise and it’s the only racing game with modern cars that I actually like. Still not interested in NFS though.

8. G1GAHURTZ

@ Eregol:

I dunno, they’d probably both share some of the blame I suppose…

Their job couldn’t be simpler, though.

All I want is an open world racer with a HUGE map, hundreds of licenced cars, a dynamic weather/day/night environment, amazing visuals, realistic enigine noises, ‘edge-of-your-seat’ arcade style handling, amazing sense of speed, hundreds of races/events/challenges, seamless online play, thousands of licenced upgrades, almost unlimited customiasation options and some sort of amazing levelling up system to keep me wanting to come back and beat other racers online after I’ve done the entire campaign.

Is that too much to ask?

9. Quiiick

@ DrDamn
    Quote: What’s a “real” NFS?

That’s why I set the word real in hanging commas.
    It may not mean the same thing for different people.

For me “Most Wanted” was the real deal: Great next-gen (then!) graphics (really loved the 3 different cities) and first of all: great cop-chases.

10. Eregol

@ Giga
    Not at all.
    I’m sure they can do most of that for you.
    But seeing as they specialise in arcade racing, I’m pretty sure you can forget about most of the ‘realistic’ stuff.

11. Blerk

You know, I’m not sure I’ve ever played a NFS game. Ever.

12. Leathersoup

If anyone has a chance of resurrecting the NFS franchise it’s Criterion. *fingers crossed*

13. DrDamn

NfS:Shift says the franchise doesn’t need resurrecting :) – best game in the series in a long time. Maybe not traditional NfS but a damn fine game.

14. Johnny Cullen

Carbon is better then Most Wanted tbh.

Yeah, I went there.

15. Monk

well the last NFS was hot pursit 2 which was
    one of the Best racing car I ever Played in
    my Life.

I think when Criterion take the NFS, it`s well be
    huge and really amazing Like Burnout.

16. DrDamn

NfS World:Online?

Edit – Me getting confused here – this was announced ages ago – PC only? EA you are not helping with your 27 versions of the same franchise mind.