Source – Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls MMO missed its 2009 reveal

Wednesday, 20th January 2010 14:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

elderscrolls

You know the Bethesda MMO that popped up in those court filings earlier? The “secret” one with nearly 100 people working on it? It’s Elder Scrolls, we’re very reliably informed, and it was supposed to be revealed last year.

The game has been talked about behind the scenes for at least a year, we’re assured, and must be “very close to reveal by now”.

Bethesda has given VG247 a “no comment”.

While the publisher has previously denied the existence of an in-house online RPG, papers filed in the court case between Interplay and Bethesda have put an apparently secret “World of Warcraft type MMO” on the record.

Development on the game has apparently been ongoing since late 2006, said the documents, with “tens of millions of dollars” invested and “close to a hundred people” working on it.

Bethesda is allegedly looking to pull the information revealed in the case.

Another recent slip up from book publisher Waterstones said the next Elder Scrolls game was set 200 years after Oblivion.

Soon, please.

1. Dralen

They better make this good, or I will hate Bethesda for the rest of my life.

2. Gekidami

It would be awesome if it keeps its realtime combat, but for balancing reasons i doubt that’ll be the case…

3. Ausir

The MMO is not actually being developed by Bethesda itself, but by its sister studio, ZeniMax Online Studios.

4. No_PUDding

Thats pretty cool to know. Didn’t know Zenimax to own any videogame related groups outside of Bethesda.

However, I will ahte it, and not play it. Very simple.

On a different note though, there are so many games that are threatening to be revealed very soon.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@1 agreed.

6. fdelfino

Fuck that. I want the Fallout MMO.

7. Eregol

Don’t Zenimax kind of own Id now?
    Not that they’d be making this MMO mind.

8. Blerk

I don’t want any MMO. I hope this doesn’t mean that there won’t be a proper Elder Scrolls sequel.

9. Gekidami

If it really is being made by ZeniMax Online Studios i dont see why Bethesda couldnt be working on an SP Elder Scrolls game along side.

10. Uncontested

Screw another god damn MMO. I want Elder Scrolls V not this bullshit. There hasnt been a good MMO out in ages its all the same crap rehashed over and over.

11. JesteR

Another good singleplayer game gone…. great fuck mmo`s.

12. Dr.Haggard

I always find it quite depressing when things like this are published.

As with any leak like this, people have worked very hard to keep it a secret for a long time so they can proudly reveal it when they’re ready to do so. They’ll have been looking forward to that moment for years, and then what happens?

They must be fucking gutted. Poor show, internet.

13. No_PUDding

The ‘TRICO’ leak killed me. But atleast this is only the information, it was inevitable anyway.

14. Grimrita

Why Why why copy Borecraft? The MMO genre is still pretty new and a huge marktet but by copying the wow formula, most just will not succeed.

We need some innovation instead of yet another generic turd

15. emjayx

i can’t wait for elder scrolls MMO, let’s hope your ‘source’ is right this time. unlike http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/24/source-ps3-getting-cross-title-voice-chat-in-october/

16. thefryingfish

All I can say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Why must it be an MMO!? They’d better make a non MMO TES V

17. random

well, i have always wanted a mmo with the elder scroll, because it has the most ultimate fp combat system ever. If it doesnt have the same or similiar combat system it will be failure. however i hope that they still will make SP elder scrolls. And i’ll defintly try it out.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same people as with oblivion.

Sorry for my english, didnt have time to correct.

18. Wiglaf

I seriously hope that this is a joke. It will be a major disappointment to me if TES V turns out to be a MMORPG. How hard is it to realize that a game like TES is the complete opposite of a MMORPG? Sandbox in the TES level can’t exist in a MMORPG, it simply is IMPOSSIBLE. In a MMORPG you can’t steal, you can’t kill NPCs, you can’t do anything TES allows you to. And such restrictions would be a no-no to any fan, that would quickly kick TES V a good bye and cry over a ruined franchise.

Also, if it turns out to be a MMORPG you all can bid your farewells to combat as it is in Oblivion. Can you imagine that in a massive game? It’s impossible. It would lag so much that you would miss all of your arrows and spells. It would turn out to be auto-target without giving you options to dodge attacks yourself, as most of the MMORPG garbage out there. Also I really doubt that the game would be much more than repeating a few monster-hunting quests to increase your level, as that’s what MMORPGs are about after all.

Nobody cares to roleplay in a MMORPG, it’s all a matter of killing as many creatures as possible for the nerdiest person in the game to show off their high leveled characters in shiny armor. Also say goodbye to mods and anything custom made that could be implemented to TES IV, it’s not going to happen in a MMO.

Please, God, let’s hope that this isn’t going to happen. I enjoy TES as it is, I enjoy impacting the world as I wish, yes, I enjoy stealing, killing, or simply not doing it when I am playing a rightful character. But heck, will it matter when a bunch of retards walking into the main city screaming some IRL l33t nonsense? I am also very happy with no latency issues and fast paced combat, I am very happy without having to spend days hunting monsters just to raise a level. Please, please, don’t destroy this game, it just wouldn’t work out as a MMORPG, it has so MUCH more potential as a single player game. Perhaps a multiplayer option to play with a few friends? But not a massive game, for goodness’ sake.

Really, anyone NORMAL who’s played a MMORPG for more than a few years is already bored of the genre, or simply already realized that there is barely any space left for innovation. It always comes down to the limitations that a multiplayer game has to handle to make it “fair” to everyone.

19. Tzacharu

Actually MMOs very much like The Elder Scrolls series exist, with aim combat, stealing, full loot, and things like that. Look up Darkfall, it’s got similar concepts to the Elder Scrolls, as does Mortal Online, which is currently in beta. When trying to explain Darkfall, a lot of people say its basically like what an Oblivion MMO would be. Darkfall can currently support big battles. I was actually part of a 200-300 man siege of a castle, and my PC was able to run it pretty well.

I’m interested in this, but I also would like a single player game as well. I do hope by “like World of Warcraft” they’re just saying that it will be an MMO with millions of players and a server.. if they end up making their combat system like WoW’s then they’re fucking the series up.

20. willowleaf

A MMO game wouldn’t be that bad, but yes I would much prefer this to be a side game, and have The Elder Scrolls series continue their great journey through the provinces maybe something like going through skyrim, hammerfell, and high rock, and then after that have maybe a game with Summerset Isle, Valenwood, Elsweyr, and have The Black Marsh as an expansion pack to it =)

21. willowleaf

oh one more thing to add, I would much prefer if a multiplayer option was more an ad-on something called like arena (I know that’s already an ES game, I just use that as an example), and have a muliplayer function be different, and have the main story and line of ES games continue unchanged

22. elderscrollsrocks

i hope to hell es5 isnt mmo, i want single player on xbox 360, like oblivion

23. TheChronoSwordsman

I hope they don’t try to change anything too much. TES is single player series. Don’t ruin that.

24. cedro

Some people already pointed it out, it’s possible to have both a single player (offline) and an MMO (online) in 1.

If you choose to play a single player (or a limited LAN multiplayer) game, your savegames are saved locally (or on the multiplayer host) and mods are enabled.

If you choose to play the MMO, your savegames are saved server side and mods are disabled. Perhaps have a simple LUA cripting like WOW for interface addons, but that’s all.

Of course, a single player savegame can’t be used in the MMO and reciprocally.

Finally, please, have an option to turn off the monster scaling in offline mode, but let it disabled online.