Prince of Persia creator loves the new film, hopes gamers will too

Saturday, 16th January 2010 22:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Jordan Mechner

Prince of Persia creator and scriptwriter for the upcoming Sands of Time film, Jordan Mechner, has said that while he was not directly involved with the casting for the flick, he was very pleased with the choices.

“I wasn’t involved in casting but I love the cast. I think they’re all terrific,” he told HeyUGuys (via WetDarkWild). “Jake looks a lot like the prince in the game. He’s a great actor and I think for me he embodies a lot of the qualities that sort of define the kind of hero that I’ve always seen the Prince as. He’s a warrior, but he’s also got a sort of mischievous quality, a certain vulnerability and I think Jake brings that to the screen in a way that’s really appealing.

“We really made the move to stand on its own so even if you’ve never played Prince of Persia, you’ve never played a video game, you can completely enjoy it. But for people who have played the games, there are definitely moments of physical action that sort of allude to the game, that gamers can appreciate on another level.

“To me, the Prince of Persia is almost an old-fashioned kind of film. It’s romantic, adventurous, and it’s got these epic production values that can only be done today by a producer of the stature of Jerry Bruckheimer. For me, it’s very much the kind of movie that inspired the original game and very true to that tradition. But, at the same time, it goes beyond it. It’s more epic that I could have imagined.

“I love it and I hope the gamers will too.”

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will release in May, and the video interview with Mechner is through the link.

Thanks,GoNintendo.

1. Phoenixblight

2. Cerberus

I don’t know, games made into movies have a rather bleak history – at least with us gamers. But I guess this movie has the benefit of doubt advantage.

3. Michael O’Connor

“Of course, he loves it. He gets a blank check from Disney for it. Who wouldn’t love that?”

Because, you know, when you make something out of something, it’s not actually possible to enjoy the endeavour or the final product, right?

Dear lord. Just because someone gets a cheque doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy the work they do.

4. AHA-Lambda

Then again I doubt he’d be allowed to say it sucks ass =/

5. Cerberus

Probably.

6. Phoenixblight

@Michael

THe Creators of Xmen said the same thing I believe you know where I am going with that.

7. McLovin85

What, that the first two Xmen movies were awesome??

8. Michael O’Connor

“Then again I doubt he’d be allowed to say it sucks ass =/”

True, but at least it doesn’t sound like your typically generic press release. Just some guy proud of his work.

“The Creators of Xmen said the same thing I believe you know where I am going with that.”

Considering I thought the first two movies were pretty awesome (especially the second)… no, not really.

9. AHA-Lambda

Yeah I like the first 2 xmen films aswell, 3 and 4 though blagh >_<

10. Bulk Slash

I think this is only the third time the actual creator of a game has had direct input into the story of the film. The others being Wing Commander and Final Fantasy Spirits Within. So having the creators involved isn’t necessarily a good thing…

But I’m inclined to give Mechner the benefit of the doubt and believe this film could break with the tradition of films made from games being crap. Judging from the trailer it should at least be more faithful compared to other examples, unless they heavily re-wrote his script after he turned it in.

11. Eregol

It’s a film based on a game franchise.
    But it’s Prince of Persia, which could be good.
    But they based it on Emo Prince. Which will be BAD!

12. Phoenixblight

13. Jockie

Sometimes creators aren’t as anally obsessed with the specific detail of the characters or stories they created as fans are, as long as the spirit or message of their work gets through.

Generally the best adaptations are the ones that make the story work for their format, instead of trying to cram everything in exactly as it was.

14. Phoenixblight

Good thing Prince of Persia is a confused character, not sure what he is. There is no stable lore either, its like watching an episode of sliders for each game and the Prince in each one is a different character.

15. Michael O’Connor

“No the first two Xmen were them raping the lore that came with the money. Especially with what they did to Jean Grey.”

You are the living, breeding definition of a fanboy. If there was a picture in the dictionary to go with the word “fanboy”, it would be a picture of you.

16. Phoenixblight

Yeah and? SOrry I was raised reading the comics and watching the show on Saturday morning. And Phoenix was by far my favorite character hence my username, I expected them to do a good job and then they destroy it.

17. Michael O’Connor

SOrry I was raised reading the comics and watching the show on Saturday morning.”

So was I. That doesn’t mean you have to be utterly pedantic about every single tiny little detail that doesn’t fit into *your* prescribed preferences.

18. Phoenixblight

I am not look at Batman Begins and Dark Knight does it follow every little details as the comics do? Is it my top ten of movies this generation? Hell yes. Brian SInger did well for the first two but once he left and went to do another movie afterwards, they crashed and burned then Wolverine Origns… Poor poor Deadpool so much potential with Ryan Reynolds and it was wasted.

Ironman when I saw the trailers and I saw Robert Downey Jr. playing Stark, I was really pissed but I saw the movie and it blew me away. Can’t wait for the sequel.

19. Michael O’Connor

Hey, I never said the third or forth movie was any good. But you were arguing the first two, so…

And yes, Iron Man is awesome.

20. Phoenixblight

My mistake, I meant the last two.

21. Michael O’Connor

I think that we can universally agree on then.

22. Gheritt White

a) The X-Men cartoon was *never* considered part of ongoing continuity and if in the ’80s you didn’t read Chris Claremont’s full Phoenix Saga as it was published month-by-month in the comics, then you have no right even discussing it, you fucking X-Men TOURIST! *

*This is what people who argue over super-hero continuity sound like to me.

B) I would gladly let Jordan Mechner do me up the bum. In fact, I would even encourage it. PoP remains my all-time favourite gaming franchise and have high hopes for it both at the cinema and for the game-of-the-movie.

23. The Hindle

I really enjoyed the first 2 Xmen films, Xmen 2 is one of the best super hero films ever made. If the right developer was to make it the Xmen could have a really good game hell the potential is there. I liked the Xmen evolution animated tv series.

Ubisoft need to get Mechner and Patrice desilets back making the Prince of Persia games as it was those two who created the sands of time.

To be honest the Uncharted games have replaced the Prince of Persia franchise i.e the character banter you get with Nate and Elena is basically the Prince and Farah from TSOT

24. Gheritt White

Oh FUCK OFF Uncharted has replaced PoP – it may have replaced Tomb Raider, but PoP? Do bear in mind that PoP is a purely mêlée combat game, whereas Uncharted is predominately a shooter. Plus, Uncharted’s platforming sections are waaaaay less acrobatic than PoP’s, which have more flair. Okay, so there’s puzzle solving in both, but Uncharted’s focus is far more on shooting and exploration that in PoP.

Plus, since when did character banter define PoP? So it’s featured in the 3D versions, so what? Big effing deal. In PoP, the atmosphere provided by the scenery and historical setting is just as central to the game as characterisation.

25. The Hindle

I dont mean in gameplay wise dude i mean the character chemistery that made TSOT so amazing you know the banter. Its what made Warrior within such a shit game they turned it into a dark brooding mess.

26. The Hindle

Gameplay wise they are completealy different of course and the atmosphere was lost soon as they turned the Prince all emo in my opinion

27. Gheritt White

But that characterisation isn’t actually *central* to PoP! In a decade or so, such cocky-funny male/female interactions may become less popular in gaming, at which point removing it wouldn’t negatively affect PoP at all because the essence of the game doesn’t rely on witticisms and sarcasm.

PoP has most in common with fairy tales or folklore and that’s what gives it a certain timeless quality. Like the 1001 Arabian Nights from which PoP’s story/setting was drawn, PoP can evolve beyond one particular generation’s tastes while building in enough flexibility for future reinterpretation… which is exactly what the SoT trilogy was, just one interpretation.

Uncharted was just Indiana Jones crossed with Tomb Raider. Replacing PoP? Do me a lemon…

28. The Hindle

Yes but why do so many Pop fans including myself complain at all Pop games after TSOT. Its because they turned him into a generic hero as with the infamous you bitch line in WW. The character development was lost, TT was a step in the right direction but what they were thinking at the 2008 version gameplay wise ill never know.

What would you rate each game btw?

29. Gheritt White

Original PoP – 8.5/10
    PoP: The Shadow & The Flame – 10/10
    PoP 3D – 6/10
    PoP: Sands of Time – 9/10
    PoP: Warrior Within – 7/10
    PoP: Two Thrones – 8/10
    New PoP: 7/10

30. Blerk

Warrior Within got a bum deal. It was easily better than Two Thrones, music aside. It might’ve had teen angst but at least it didn’t have shitty chariot racing and (very little) Dark Prince crap.