Netflix confirmed for US Wii this spring

Wednesday, 13th January 2010 07:23 GMT By Patrick Garratt

netflix

Netflix and Nintendo will today announce a spring release for the former’s video service on Wii, the NYT’s reporting.

NoA head Reggie Fils-Aime said of the deal, “From Day 1, we always had other capabilities within the console,” adding that bringing Netflix to the console “is a continuation of an effort to bring more and more entertainment to consumers who interact with the Wii.”

“Our growth in the last two years has been propelled in large part by our investments in streaming content and in the streaming platform,” said Reed Hastings, Netflix’s chief executive.

“When the Wii application ships, it’s going to really open up a large additional opportunity.”

Netflix is already available on both 360 and PS3 in America.

The Wii version will require a disc.

Confirmation of a Wii version of the popular movie-streaming service ends months of speculation on the matter. Hastings said only last week that the chances of Netflix hitting Wii were “excellent“, with rumours surrounding pricing surveys having been running since last June.

Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter called the deal last October.

Expect a formal announcement later.

1. narya1

That’s

2. narya1

That’s i

3. narya1

Woops, sorry about that, what I meant to say is that’s it.
    Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are screwed. Families are going to think “oh, let’s get them this! It has Netflix too! What more would we want?” ;(…

4. frostquake

I enjoy Netflix on my Xbox…Not so much on my PS3, I have to put that stupid disc in my PS3. PLEASE NETFLIX no stupid Disc for my Wii.
    One thing is for sure…my Wii will be hanging out more in the TV room all nude like, now that it can writhe in the goodness of Netflix…

5. Gekidami

Its already said that it’ll use a disc for Wii. I think the non-disc version is locked to the 360 by contract.

6. RoarrrUK

@Gekidami
    I believe you are right, though there was some mention that it is timed and that a future ps3 FM update will remove the need for the disc, though who knows, 2011, 2012, 2020.

7. Blerk

Seems a bit mental to use a disc for the Wii version when they could just add a channel. But what do we care, right? We can’t even get Netflix. :-)

When’s someone going to do a similar deal for LoveFilm or something?